Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice - Palms (September 14, 2018) Album • Page 373

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Dog with a Blog

StuffinCups, coleslawed, K0ta and 4 others like this.
  2. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

3. Dog with a Blog

4. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

5. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Damn. Didn’t know Mikey boy was banned. Now what will this thread do? Probably discuss a year old album? Fuck that

6. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

to be fair, once michael left, this thread got a bit quiet. that being said, not spending time laughing at this thread has made me much more productive at work...

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

this album is good thanks

DesolateEarth, Kmil, teebs41 and 2 others like this.
  8. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

This slowly became my favorite Thrice track

Tomozaurus, Kmil, Ken and 2 others like this.
  9. phaynes12

it’s a good one

Ken likes this.
  10. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Oh man can't wait to get off work, I've been waiting forever for a good live recordings of Beyond the Pines. Def my favorite Thrice song

11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

We all talked about Thrice alt version album. I love Pines and I could see them doing an alt version of it. Great song.

12. socklord

Trusted

Idk why, but every time I listen to this album I can never get fully into it. They’re all mostly good songs and maybe one or two great ones. Like, it’s a good album, but every time I listen to it I feel like it could be better from both a songwriting and production standpoint.

Joe4th likes this.
  13. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Same. It just doesn’t stick with me at all outside of 2/3 songs.

14. DesolateEarth

Birb

TBE is definitely the better of the 2 post reunion albums but there are still several bangers to be had here.

Ken, Anthony Brooks and .K. like this.
  15. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Palms era was definitely enhanced with the release of Deeper Wells (and all those songs are from the same sessions). Made it fell more complete.

16. socklord

Trusted

Yeah idk if songs that didn’t make an album make said album better tbh

Ken and Joe4th like this.
  17. phaynes12

it’s a good album regardless

18. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I consider Palms (and DW) to be top tier THRICE and TBE to be...well, not top tier THRICE.

So, it seems that I feel much the same about TBE as others do about Palms.

19. socklord

Trusted

TBE is so good. Still holds up well.

StuffinCups, Ken and DesolateEarth like this.
  20. RedDotRecording

Record Engineer/Producer. Musician. Coffee Punk.

I've not come back to Palms much at all. In fact, I've been so uninterested in Palms that I didn't even really know Deeper Wells came out until recently...and I still don't have it (but I have everything else Thrice has done).

TBE on the other hand...still digging it. The songs are awesome and keep me coming back and relistening fairly often.

It's a killer, perfect record other than the fact that I can hear a couple instances of a single production flaw that drives me nuts. Everything is great on it besides this one thing.

I fought with that same sort of thing for a long time on an album I was mixing/mastering. I know why it was a problem, how much time it took to try to fix it, how I had to eventually fix it, and that they didn't do that fix. I'm hyper-aware of that one problem in the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon selective attention way. I had to spend a bunch of time dealing with that problem so now I'm sensitive to hearing it in other places.

...but - even with that irritating to me flaw that pops up every now and then - I listen to it way more than I listen to Palms.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  21. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I personally love Stumbling West has a cool groove behind it that reminds me of the song Beggars. In This Storm feels like a combination of Alchemy Index to me. Making Palms era 14 songs instead of 10 had a positive I no to to me.

22. socklord

Trusted

I’m listening to the Deeper Wells EP for my second time now. Title track was cool and I’m enjoying A Better Bridge so far

.K. likes this.
  23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I have playing now too. I prefer TBE to Palms, but Beyond The Pines is one of a thrice best songs ever.

24. socklord

Trusted

Beyond The Pines rules. I really like Everything Belongs and A Branch In The River. Everything else I think it pretty good/solid, but just doesn’t really stand out in their discography to me. I can say that about the aforementioned songs as well, aside from maybe Beyond The Pines and Everything Belongs. I think Palms is mostly good songs, but the album doesn’t have the highs of many of their other albums for me.

.K. likes this.
  25. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

The first four and last two tracks are the only songs on this album that I still listen to.

Anthony Brooks likes this.