Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice - Palms (September 14, 2018) Album • Page 286

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I wish Thrice would get more experimental and weird like Radiohead has

SlappinCups, Mary V, Jbent and 3 others like this.
  2. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Worst fucking thread that's still somewhat active. It makes for nice work procrastination reading though. Good lord, y'all.

Hot take: Now if only Periphery could employ a vocalist the caliber of Dustin on Vheissu.

I'd show up for it. That said, I'd change the ranking a bit:

1. Cold Cash (the way this song flows into Killing Moon will never not floor me)
    2. Firebreather
    3. Kill Me Quickly
    4. Yellow Belly
    5. All The World Is Mad
    6. Image of the Invisible
    7. Identity Crisis
    8. Broken Lungs
    9. Hurricane
    10. Only Us

This was hard cause all of these songs are killer.

theagentcoma and Davjs like this.
  3. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Radiohead sued Lana Del Rey so I have very little respect for them haha

4. Davjs

Trusted

I actually remember that and everyone calling them out of stealing the melody of Creep so it was super hypocritical.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  5. Davjs

Trusted

It was absolutely too hard haha. I can't believe I had Hurricane so low, but they have some great openers.

6. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

That whole Alchemy Index Project was a huge risk in experimentation that cost them a record deal and almost lost them their masters. Plus, they walked a microphone outside and buried in a box during a song. That’s one of the modest experimental music moments I can think of.

Don’t forget that Dustin and his brother Chase are working on an experimental project. I still want Thrice to sound like Thrice, just variations of Thrice. Go back and listen to Illusion and anything newer. Plenty of experimenting in this bands hostory. Just at a slower pace.

Davjs likes this.
  7. Davjs

Trusted

Well said, well said.

8. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

1. Cold Cash
    2. Firebreather
    3. Hurricane

Everything else

9. Joe4th

oh for sure. I love the Alchemy Index, it's my second favorite behind Beggars. Like I've said, I get this is the direction they're going in now. It'll make them money and bigger than they've been. Selfishly I'm bummed knowing they'll never get as experimental as they did on the Alchemy Index, but I get it. I don't feel like there's been that much experimenting M/M and on. Some great songs for sure, but experimenting, not as much, which again, I understand why they're not.

Didn't know about that experimental project, that'll be interesting

10. RyanPm40

Curious what you mean by them burying a microphone in a box?

11. Joe4th

In Child of Dust the microphone is being buried in a coffin and filled with dirt

RyanPm40 likes this.
  12. Davjs

Trusted

The ending of Child of Dust where Dustin sounds all muffled is him singing through a box mic where they really shoveled dirt on it, giving the feel of being buried.

If I remember what I read correctly.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  13. nl5011 Feb 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 8, 2019)
    nl5011

Trusted Supporter

What hurts about the recent output with Thrice is that they are such a good band. Fantastic musicians all around, and each truly creative and original with their
    instruments.

They could be making such good music. And yet it seems imo they are holding back, dumbing it down, and streamlining their sound. Your telling me both Breckinridge bros and Teppei don’t have it in them to make exciting challenging experimental music anymore?

It’s like if The Beatles got back together in the 70’s, but only released albums that sounded pre-Rubber Soul. Its just a total regression.

14. Davjs

Trusted

I too wish they'd go back to the Vheissu and Alchemy Index sound where they did a lot of experimentation, but I can't see why that makes the last few albums any less good. The songs themselves are strong.

Any band is typically capable of doing "more" but they write what they want to write, I wouldn't call it dumbing down.

15. RyanPm40

I think Palms is more similar to Vheissu and Alchemy than any of their other releases after those albums

bd007h, Tomozaurus and Davjs like this.
  16. Davjs

Trusted

I've made this point many times but it's ok for people to disagree.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

On the Alchemy Index: Earth EP, listen to Child of Dust. At around 1:49, a mic is walked out of the recording studio, aka Teppei’s garage, and put in a wood box and buried by soil or the earth. If you listen, you can hear the handling of the mic/placement and the shovel/dirt being thrown on top.

How’s that for thinking outside, or technically inside the box/coffin. And it’s not some gimmick, since it’s the Earth EP brilliant.

During the recording sessions on the EP’s the band posted about that kind of stuff well recording and photos. They even posted photo of the hole in the ground and coffin.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I think possibility because the band said it’s the most they’ve experiment since Alchemy Index. Listeners have a different view point because we are attached to the process the same way they are.

Davjs likes this.
  19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

They experiment constantly in a more cerebral way. I always think back to a bands first breakthrough album(s). The band who made Illuison and Artist now uses keys, harps, programming, acoustics, a music box, Greek mythology, baritone guitars, buried a mic, sonnets, and on and on.

They have experimented more than any band I’ve listened to from the start, and all
    In positive or interesting ways.

Plus The guys have done some stuff outside of Thrice to experiment and play around Puig Destroyer, Dustin’s solo, Riley’s programming, Dustin and Chase’s stuff still to come, Teppei had a Black Unicorn song posted, Modern Post, worship music by Dustin, and the other bands the guys played in. So yeah, they haven’t just played it safe.

I mean, The Grey could be a song that appeared on 4 or 5 different albums, but not Only Us. The challenge with constantly expanding horizons is keeping all elements of your fan base happy. That may be where Palms suffers a tiny bit.

Only Us is experimentation
    The Grey could be on Artist
    The Dark could be on Major/Minor
    Just Breathe could be Air
    Everything Belongs could be Dustin Solo
    My Soul on Beggars

And you get my point. And maybe you’d say a different album and that’s fine too. But Palms was for a varied fan base. I give them credit for doing that, but that’s why it felt like the album could have been a song or two longer.

bd007h and Davjs like this.
  20. DesolateEarth

Birb

I personally think TBE has more songs in common with Vheissu but I agree with Palms and The Alchemy Index.

21. DesolateEarth

Birb

I have never understood the hate for Spencer. I really like his vocals. If anything they have gotten better since the first album.

22. Davjs

Trusted

Very well said.

This last point for sure, I do wish it were longer. Give us those b-sides!

.K. and Bad Frequencies like this.
  23. Jbent

Trusted

Not to get off topic but I just heard the new single and woof those vocals are rough and I love metal and heavy music. Blood Eagle was not great vocally.

24. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

Holy shit. Just fucking do better? Look past your limited perspective and listen to what people have to say about shit you might not be an expert on instead of blowing it up. You are the reason that took 3 pages. Because it was so unfathomable to you that you had any room for improvement that you just couldn't for a second look past your pride. You literally could have done a million things that didn't require you to be an asshole but you still picked "be an ass about it."

OhTheWater, dadbolt and Joe4th like this.
  25. Davjs

Trusted

Not really familiar with these guys, all I knew is that they have fast guitars and screaming lol.

Just checked out Blood Eagle and I thought it was pretty cool. The vocals didn't bug me and the guitar reminded me of Protest the Hero.