Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice - Palms (September 14, 2018) Album • Page 229

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, Jul 9, 2018.

1. The Grey fucking knocks idk what you guys are talking about

KalValor, dlemert, latortuga and 6 others like this.
  2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

yup, real solid song.

3. Tomozaurus

Regular

This album is better than their first 3 and Major/Minor, and I'll die on that hill.

Kevin360, scottlechowicz and teebs41 like this.
  4. Davjs

Trusted

I don't even know what is going in here anymore.

teebs41 and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  5. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I’ll take Illusion and Artist over this every day

slimfenix182 and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  6. Davjs

Trusted

Yeah, I mean I'd take other albums over Palms if I had to chose, but this album is a great addition to their discography.

7. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

good take

8. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

Well worded and reasoned.

It’s a testament to the band and their musical abilities that even when I’m “disappointed” in an album I can still appreciate how great it is.

teebs41 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  9. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

This is like 6 on my eoty list and I’m only disappointed bc I wanted it to be 1... which isn’t really fair haha

10. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I want them. I don’t actually remember the band talking about them, or maybe I missed that studio post....but yeah, bring them on.

teebs41 and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I wouldn’t think much of this album if it was by any other band. That’s a bad thing. But I guess that’s not a good enough take for this thread

12. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

"The Grey" is one of the best songs on this lackluster album.

latortuga likes this.
  13. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

This is in my AOTY list. It is not 1st though.

scottlechowicz and teebs41 like this.
  14. Mike J Dec 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 9, 2018)
    Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

They *recorded* more tracks for Palms than any other record. 14 was the previous record. Palms released 10 songs. So, 4-5 B-sides, most of which will probably bewilder us as to why they left them off. Record store day should be a good day.

.K. and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  15. DesolateEarth

Birb

I still like it a lot. Definitely not number one or two on my best of 2018 list but it's solid enough.

16. DesolateEarth

Birb

If only I could like this post more than once.

latortuga and Davjs like this.
  17. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

This is at least top 20 for me. Some of their best songs–Breathe, Branch, Blood, Beyond–and not a bad song in the bunch.

Gooddayz, Davjs and Mike J like this.
  18. atlas

Trusted

I haven't listened to this much since it came out. I definitely don't turn it off when it comes on but it's not close to my AOTY at all.

Feel like my biggest gripe is that I kinda felt like I heard everything it had to offer after only a few listens

19. It sums up Thrice's current place, unless they do another stylistic shift... which is fine I guess. They've given us such an incredible amount of great albums in their first decade, and as bands get older, it's way more likely they rest on their laurels. It's a bit more frustrating coming from them, because we know they could go in so many different directions, yet it's now the third album in a row with mostly this grungy alt rock sound.

latortuga and Joe4th like this.
  20. Quercus

Regular

Hm, not for me. I'm in Sweden so it might be some regional bullshit

johnnyferris likes this.
  21. Davjs

Trusted

I see the album the other way completely, where TBE has almost all grungy alt rock sound and Palms has that too with Grey and Branch, but also mixes it up a lot. Experimental synth style with Only Us and The Dark, stripped down indie feel of My Soul and Beyond the Pines, beautiful ballad of Everything Belongs and the harp section in Blood on Blood lol. I think there are a lot of different sounds on here and takes you through a nice little journey. My only complaint is that it's too short! :-)

22. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Ah, that sucks. It’s one of his most streamed songs on Spotify.

Quercus likes this.
  23. stonecoldnimrod

Trusted

so here's a 6 song playlist i made for a friend to try to get into the band:

only us
    the window
    stare into the sun
    for miles
    digital sea
    the long defeat

if you had to pick 6 songs, which would it be?

24. Davjs

Trusted

to get someone new into the band or just my top 6? lol

25. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I would probably make sure to include Red Sky, Daedalus and Beyond the Pines if it were me. Also depends on your friend's musical tastes

.K. likes this.