Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice - Palms (September 14, 2018) Album • Page 216

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, Jul 9, 2018.

1. ezmo311

Regular Supporter

Bingo. Maybe I was spoiled by my 311 fandom and seeing them play vastly different setlists from night-to-night. I'm sure it's much more streamlined to have the same 21 songs at each show, but for me it takes away some of the fun of hoping for a song to be played.

riotspray likes this.
  2. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

The Manchester Orchestra album was def my favorite release from them.
    Certainly topped the recent Thrice output for me. Also enjoyed their latest live sets more.

I still like Thrice overall more than the other two, but the recent releases haven't stuck with me as much as anything pre-beggars

3. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

That problem occurs with bands that have like 7-8+ albums. You have so many fan favorites across different albums that you "have to play" + songs from the new album that it leaves little space to change up the setlists. Thrice are at a point where they can put a song for "the old fans" but sadly it always ends up being the same two tracks.

riotspray and stars143 like this.
  4. Davjs

Trusted

I felt like this tour set was great.

Image of the Invisible, Anthology, Beggars and Avenge all haven't been played since their Farewell tour. The set itself is pretty different from the last few years supporting TBEITBN

Anthony Brooks and riotspray like this.
  5. DesolateEarth

Birb

Thrice are one of those bands that could totally get away with 2+ hour sets and play 25 songs or so a night honestly

Dustin's voice might perish is the only thing.

6. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I surprisingly really liked seeing Image live again. Don't love that song on record but it killed at the SF show

riotspray and Davjs like this.
  7. Tomozaurus

Regular

Wasn't MO last year?...

8. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Black Mile didn’t even have I Know How To Speak in it. I’ll take METN over it any day. Not saying Black Mile is a bad record. I think sound quality wise it’s much better than Cope was.

I still like Palms. Beyond The Pines is still amazing, and it’s sort of slots in like a Major/Minor to me where I absolutely love some songs, and others I just listen to from time to time when I have the full record on.

9. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Sci fi and black mile were better than palms.. at this point I just expect thrice to put out solid rock records, I can appreciate that

10. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

the amulet was better than all three imo

Ken, SpyKi, Gooddayz and 2 others like this.
  11. InExile

Regular

I feel like Thrice has atleast one more amazing record in them other than a few more “solid rock albums” to end their career.

riotspray and teebs41 like this.
  12. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

They are still writing some of their best songs though? Beyond the Pines, Long Defeat, Black Honey, and so on. Still some Top Tier stuff going on.

13. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

At first I thought Palms was weaker than their previous albums, but after seeing some of the songs live and spending more time with the record, I just realized that Thrice continues to kill it album after album and any change is just them evolving and me trying to catch up.

14. Davjs

Trusted

Palms was like Beggars for me, disappointment at first because of the direction but grew to love each song and now both are 10/10. Palms was a faster grow on me because it has some real bangers on it and the bass sounds amazing.

anonimito and teebs41 like this.
  15. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Beggars is probably the best Thrice album in my opinion, but I wouldn’t even say it has a top 5 Thrice song (for me).

Every album has a song or two that gives me chills just thinking about them they are that good.

16. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

People will ask me sometimes "What do Thrice sounds like? What other bands are similiar?"

I was talking to a stranger at the show on Tuesday and we came to the conclusion that Thrice is our favorite band because they are a culmination of the best things from all the other bands we like.

I could easily make a 20 song compilation and almost every song would sound like a different band. It's incredible to me to think that Digital Sea, Come All You Weary and Deadbolt are all from the same band.

17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I have actually done this before. It’s amazing because it’s like a musical journey. The songs transition really well between albums (maybe the older stuff from Illusion Of Safety stands out a little), but there is so much variety it doesn’t get tiring.

I echo the idea they take a lot of the best aspects of other bands and bring them together. I think a big part of that comes from having four members who write music and have different and shared influences. Plus, it’s been the same four guys since it began, so there is a sense of give and take, or honesty there that obviously works.

riotspray likes this.
  18. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

I hate describing Thrice to people that aren’t too familiar with the scene the band came from. I should just start saying guitar band that’s changed a lot.

Davjs and riotspray like this.
  19. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

thrice is like if Radiohead had skatepunk/metalcore roots instead of Brit pop

20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

unfortunately, this album did not stick with me :(

The Grey is still a killer track though.

thesollopsist likes this.
  21. Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

I was glad to see that Epitaph splurged on two bus bench ads.

22. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

This album is very good

23. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

[​IMG]

Well damn.

teebs41 likes this.
  24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Looks like I'll be passing on seeing Thrice for the first time in a while.

25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

also cool to see BMTH using the old WCW logo.

Collins, shea and teebs41 like this.