Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice / La Dispute / Gates Tour • Page 3

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by kidinthebushes, Apr 4, 2016.

1. dead_fm

Regular

and yep.....here it is.

2. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

3. Jonny Sniper

Trusted

Raleigh only has one good venue, Lincoln Theatre. Charlotte has Amos and Fillmore. Amos is the best because fees for Fillmore and their security is bullshit. Greensboro has Greene Street which is okay when the building sells out. Obviously the compromise is Carrboro/Chapel Hill with Cat's Cradle which honestly is a great venue for a Thrice show. Can't say Fillmore is going to be bad as the sound quality of that venue is top notch but the crowds are usually terrible there. La Dispute is going to get zero reaction.

4. timcsheehan

Regular

my excitement level for the show in ATL next week went through the roof upon hearing the record. stoked.

5. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

When this starts, someone let me know if they're doing the Wildlife in full again. Debating whether or not I want to go to the Detroit date when I already saw it in Grand Rapids. (Not sure I can handle that twice, emotionally, haha.)

dead_fm likes this.
  6. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

I also saw that Brand New show; if I remember correctly, the entire bill (O'Bro and Man Orch) sounded flat in the open air compared to when I've heard them in club settings. And I can't be the first to mention this, but I feel that Brand New phoned in their performance in terms of physical energy. Their performance was technically accurate to their records but felt apathetic.

The only show I've seen at The Fillmore was Anberlin's farewell tour back in 2014. As for Cat's Cradle, I saw Thrice twice when they toured Major/Minor and again on their farewell tour. Been to see many other bands there too; it's one of my favorite venues.

7. bennjeff

Regular

Red Hat sucks because the city has decibel levels that bands can't exceed. Cat's Cradle is the best local venue for sure. Lincoln is ok and The Ritz is ho hum. I'm not crazy about the Brand New show being at Koka Booth in Cary this summer but at least they are coming to town. I think the Fillmore in Charlotte is a good venue, I just think Charlotte itself sucks. Normally I'd make the drive to see reunited Thrice but just can't swing the distance from Raleigh/Hotel cost this time. Oh well. Hope they'll be closer should a fall/winter tour happen

exanctile likes this.
  8. Jonny Sniper

Trusted

I still have yet to go to Red Hat but never knew of that decibal level issue. That sucks. The Ritz used to be awful when it was Disco Rodeo but it's gotten better. I can't see why anyone would say Charlotte sucks though.

9. exanctile May 31, 2016
    (Last edited: May 31, 2016)
    exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

I will vouch for Red Hat in that while O'Bro/Man Orch/Brand New were not that great, I saw last year's Tour de Compadres with Colony House/Drew Holcomb/Ben Rector/Needtobreathe, and they sounded fantastic. Honestly, I think it depends on whether the show in question is suited to the open-air setting more than the volume issue.

Edit: I digress. Right now I'm enthused to see Thrice just about anywhere, while hoping they'll play nearer to home on a future run of shows.

10. dead_fm

Regular

so insanely jealous that you got to see this. I'm crossing my fingers for it but I just don't know. It HAS been 5 years since the album was released though......

11. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

FUCK I want to go to this.

12. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

It was amazing!! None of us realized it was on purpose for about 4 songs and then the whole place went nuts.

In case anyone was wondering, the 4 song encore was: "woman in mirror", "the child we lost", "extraordinary dinner party", and "said the king to the river."

13. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

There is a tour press of TBEITBN.

14. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

15. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

I can't afford to be buying it either :/

16. Davjs

Trusted

What new songs are you guys looking forward to them playing? They usually play a good amount of new songs when they tour a record. I think Blood in the Sand and Black Honey are givens, but I'd like Death from Above and Hurricane.

17. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I would love to see them play Stay with Me too.

18. Jonny Sniper

Trusted

Hurricane into Blood On The Sand, Death From Above, Stay With Me are all I want to hear. I wouldn't be surprised if they closed their set with Salt and Shadow though.

19. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

I would love to hear The Long Defeat and Whistleblower, the latter of which recalls Of Dust and Nations musically.

Davjs likes this.
  20. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I have to imagine that, in addition to BOTS and Black Honey, Hurricane is all but a given. They tend to play their album openers a lot when a new album comes out.

Honestly, I am excited for any new song to be played live. Always fun to hear something new. But, I am most excited to hear Hurricane, Death from Above, Whistleblower, and Stay With Me.

Davjs likes this.
  21. Davjs

Trusted

Would love Stay with me too, glad everyone seems to like it. I personally think most of their songs sound better live. I remember being blown away with songs that were good on cd, but amazing live like Doublespeak and Circles. Even incredible songs like The Earth will Shake and Deadbolt sound so much better live. I'm whatever they play will end up sounding great.

22. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

New Gates album is streaming here -
    Huge step up for these dudes

dead_fm likes this.
  23. bennjeff

Regular

Be curious to see what songs get replaced by stuff from the new album. I could see something like Silhouette or The Weight being swapped out just because they are tired of playing it. I know they also try to develop setlist that flows pretty well so they aren't constantly switching guitars or tuning so that will probably play into it.

24. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

I hope they don't remove The Weight. I haven't seen Thrice since TAITA came out, and that song is one of the songs I'd most want to hear from their output since 2003.

25. SeeTheLights

Trusted Prestigious

The video of them rehearsing Hurricane on Instagram sounds so good

johnnyferris likes this.