Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice / La Dispute / Gates Tour • Page 13

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by kidinthebushes, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Heart

Haha yeah I was at that one, but I gotta be honest I barely remember the crowd that night. Not surprising though. I was also thinking of Thrice + Brand New's show at the Norva back in 09... Brand New fans started up a "Brand New! Brand New!" chant in the middle of Thrice's set. It was pretty crap.

2. Davjs

Trusted

That;s funny because I remember feeling bad for Brand New having to follow Thrice.

3. Heart

Oh, I agree - Thrice absolutely killed it. And I like BN just fine, but this was just after Daisy's release and I guess that album drew out some of the angstiest/most obnoxious fans. I'm glad Thrice doesn't do the co-headliner thing anymore.

Davjs likes this.
  4. Davjs

Trusted

Are Dustin and Teppei playing acoustic sets at every stop before or after the show? If so how do you find out where?

teebs41 likes this.
  5. himynameisdakota

Regular

The only acoustic set was the one in Orlando and that was simply a special set. I'm pretty positive there aren't any other performances.

Davjs likes this.
  6. jakeryandesigns

Not sure what that means. La Dispute rules.

coleslawed and dead_fm like this.
  7. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

Honestly I didn't really care for La Dispute at all. It was my first time seeing them. I thought Gates were fantastic though.

Heart likes this.
  8. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

Never been able to get into La Dispute. Tried to over five years ago, tired again leading up to the Orlando show last weekend. Just felt meh to me, but they've got energy, I'll give them that.

9. Heart

Well, it's more an admission that they're pretty polarizing. If you love La Dispute, they definitely did their thing (with gusto). But if you haven't been able to get into them (myself, others) it just felt like killing time until Thrice.

Davjs likes this.
  10. Davjs

Trusted

I thought La sounded like noise when I saw them tour with Thrice during the M/M tour. There are so many people who love them though so I agree that they are polarizing.

11. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

The show last night was so good. I've never seen Thrice before, so getting to watch them do their thing made me really appreciate how great musicians they are. Teppei, in particular, was really impressive to watch. The dude is a machine. They nailed every song and played a good mix from their catalog. Was shocked that they threw in "In Years To Come" as one of the encores instead of "Deadbolt" but I was totally fine with it.

Wasn't that into La Dispute either but I do not like that band at all so I'm biased. Some dudes behind me were heckling them.

Heart likes this.
  12. Davjs

Trusted

Thank you! I've seen a lot of videos online but guess those are just from the same show. Was hoping they we doing it at every stop like they did on the farewell tour. Hopeful thinking.

13. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

la dispute were not good live last night. not bad, just, real boring.
    and i like rooms.
    also king park is so bad

14. Heart

For some reason Gates' albums never really caught my ear, but they played a terrific set and I'd definitely catch them again live if I get the chance. Felt like the crowd reacted very positively to them too, which was good to see.

15. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

The new songs Gates played sounded cool and the crowd seemed to be into them. They got a pretty big ovation when they finished their set. Didn't know anything about them coming in but I was impressed.

Heart likes this.
  16. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Tonight is the night. So excited.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

yes!! I'll be there too!

scottlechowicz and Ken like this.
  18. Deathco_019

Drummer

Excited for tonight.

Ken likes this.
  19. fluffyjdawg

Regular

:( I think King Park is easily the best post-hardcore song of all time. But I understand La Dispute is not for everyone and I'm biased because I live in Grand Rapids.

20. Deathco_019

Drummer

King Park the best post-hardcore song of all time?

Nowhere even remotely close for me, but I'm also not about to pick one post-hardcore song to put on a pedestal above others

21. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

have either of you ever been to the Fillmore before? this is my first experience

22. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

First time here too.

23. Deathco_019

Drummer

I've been to the Fillmore once before. It looks very nice inside. I think the balcony areas are reserved for VIP buyers though or something like that. I tried going there last time and was denied access

24. Taco-King

Taco Enthusiast

Its the sides of the balcony usually reserved for VIP. Sometimes there is a part of the center balcony reserved as well but at times it will be open depending on how well the show/vip has sold.

25. Deathco_019

Drummer

Ah gotcha, thanks for clearing that up. Beyond that, the Fillmore is actually one of my favorite venues I've been to in Philly. The overall aesthetic and lighting is really gorgeous.