Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice in New York City

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Last week, I had the opportunity to photograph Thrice in New York on their first full tour since their reunion. Opening on the show were Gates and La Dispute. You can find the full gallery below, as well as some brief thoughts on the experience.

If you asked me to list off 3-5 bands I believed would be perfect to open a Thrice show in 2016, both La Dispute and Gates would 100% make that list. That’s why I have been calling this Thrice reunion tour the tour of the year since the moment it was announced.

Gates seems to be following in many ways in Thrice’s footsteps, though admittedly taking things more in a post-rock direction than Thrice ever have. What I mean is Gates, especially on their newest record Parallel Lives, recognize the things they do really well at any particular moment and draw upon and accentuate that to the most significant degree. Right now, they are one of the best and spacious arrangements, and their live set showcases that fully, allowing songs the necessary room to breathe.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    La Dispute, meanwhile, were refreshingly breathless in comparison. They ripped through a 9-song set, vocalist Jordan Dreyer stopping just long enough to thank the other bands on the bill before pinwheeling through another 2 or 3 songs. His vocal delivery is a bit more ragged and staccato live, perhaps a symptom of having to get a lot of words out while spinning around like he’s playing a deranged game of dizzy bat, but that is part of his charm and captivating stage presence. The band, meanwhile, remains just as affecting as ever, as songs like “Stay Happy There” and “Woman (Reading)” hit home even more dramatically set against the ominous setting of the band’s gloomy backlit lighting, while King Park elicited one of the loudest crowd moments of the night.

Thrice has long been one of the best live bands to come out of the scene in a long time, as dynamic performances and live arrangements are both second-to-none, but even more importantly they are probably the most tight live band I have ever witnessed. I don’t think it’s fair to say they sound “just like the record” because that would be discounting some of the unique live arrangements (like “Wood And Wire” and “Beggars” on this tour), but they certainly don’t sound like a band who took 3+ years off from touring full time.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The thing that struck me most about the show is how quickly it seems fans have welcomed in the band’s newest album, To Be Everywhere is To Be Nowhere, into their hearts, and even more specifically their vocal cords. The two loudest sing-alongs of the night outside of fan-favorite “The Artist In The Ambulance” came from TBEITBN standouts “Black Honey” and “The Long Defeat.” The band even extended out the outtro to “The Long Defeat” prompting an almost religious call-and-response between the crowd and vocalist Dustin Kensrue.

I’m still in awe, over a week later, about how good Thrice’s performance was on this tour. I think this reunion, many years down the line, will be looked back on as the gold standard for band reunions. Really it’s so easy to coast off your past successes, or to come back to claim the glory that had always eluded you in the past, but the ability to synthesize both so effortlessly and successfully? Thrice deserves every bit of credit they will be lauded with.

[​IMG]

2. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I can't wait to see them again in October.

3. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Saw them in Philly.. i can honestly say it was one of the best shows i've seen. They sounded fantastic.. and although they didn't play a lot of my favorites (The weight, anthology, red sky) the set list was awesome. A lot of songs i used to ignore have become new favorites.

And that includes the long defeat.

Also, they sold out in Philly.. hell yeah Thrice. Hell yeah.

4. Pyrealnova

Newbie Supporter

After lurking on AP.net since the early 00's and now Chorus.fm, I created an account today just to say how bummed I am that I couldn't make this NYC show. Thrice is one of my absolute favorite bands of all time and OF COURSE I had to be out of town on a work trip that week. Hopefully they'll hit up the Northeast again sometime in the near future.

Amazing photos!

5. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

So envious of the thousands of people that got to see that in US, I'd second the statement that it probably is the tour of the year, just perfect! Great photos!!

6. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

I was there, toooooooooo!

7. kemichels

La Dispute fell incredibly flat with me (and the crowd, imo), but I agree with your thoughts on Thrice.

8. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

"I’m still in awe, over a week later, about how good Thrice’s performance was on this tour. I think this reunion, many years down the line, will be looked back on as the gold standard for band reunions. Really it’s so easy to coast off your past successes, or to come back to claim the glory that had always eluded you in the past, but the ability to synthesize both soeffortlessly and successfully? Thrice deserves every bit of credit they will be lauded with."

Perfectly said my man. I'm still amazed at how good the new record is. These guys are killing it 100%.

DejaMoi likes this.
  9. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

At this show? Crowd went nuts for the older songs from my vantage point, but definitely didn't seem as into some of the Rooms songs. But there was definitely a subset of the crowd that was visibly uncomfortable with King Park and it's lyrical content.

10. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Well, I love both, but ROTH has become my favorite of theirs, and whereever I've seen them live - here in Poland, and in Austria, people seemed to not enjoy those songs as much as their previous material, which is really too bad. Both "Woman" songs were just astonishingly performed, just for example.

11. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Saw them in boston on father's day. Immediately after playing Daedalus, Eddie wished the other 3 a happy father's day. I laughed so hard. Definitely one of the best shows i've ever been to. Definitely the best Thrice has ever sounded live IMO. Love the new album. So happy about music right now. I can't even.

12. screwtape

Excellent pictures and write-up. I attended the Boston show and consider it one of the best concerts I've attended. I really hope Thrice gets all the attention they deserve.

Ska Senanake likes this.
  13. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Went to the Detroit show. Only stayed for Gates and La Dispute, but both bands crushed.

14. christophsays

great write up and fantastic photos, @Craig Ismaili! are these the highest resolution you've got? they look great and I'd love to them as a wallpaper.

15. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Let me know which ones you want (DM if you want), and I'll email you the JPEGs. I convert from NEF to high DPI JPEG usually

16. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I was at the boston show too. It was honestly incredible. The mixing, the energy, the singing, the musicianship, the crowd's energy, the song choice (even though i could have chosen 20 other songs i wanted to hear!). I really hope they keep on going. I was also happy to hear people digging the new tunes. Just goes to show they aren't simply a nostalgic act like some bands out there. And as i'm typing this the window came on on my shuffle. Got to go listen.

screwtape likes this.