Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice - Horizons/East (September 17 digital, October 8 physical) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Kmil, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Michael Belt

metadata incarnate Supporter

i fucking love David's work. i think i might be partially responsible for that track existing because Dustin was asking for book recommendations on spiritual deconstruction, and i recommended David's book "Life's Too Short to Pretend You're Not Religious", which isn't really deconstruction-y, but still useful in my own journey.

Philll likes this.
  2. SeeTheLights

Trusted Prestigious

Specific track listing lengths:

790BD718-BCCA-4B98-B238-01C1CD9CDD20.jpeg

3. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

I don't believe I'll ever get to say I broke news like this album title ever again, so I'm just going be content with that memory. I felt bad, but I did put a spoiler tag on it and no one here seemed upset. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Dig the aingle. Pre-ordered the cotton candy variant earlier today.

5. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

finally listened to the single. instrumentally speaking with the tone and the rhythm it sounds like something from ...and the glass handed kites. dig it.

beachdude, Hugo G. and Cameron like this.
  6. JM95

Trusted

I forget how gravelly Dustin's voice is now.

7. Breath

Regular

Hell of a riff.

Excited for the new album, as always, they can do no wrong.

strummer likes this.
  8. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i did not care for the last thrice record but i'm still excited

Joe4th likes this.
  9. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

Single is great; digging the production over Palms. Everyone seems locked in, and Dustin's writing feels a little more poetic as well, which I've missed.

Intrigued to see that the closer is on the shorter side!

10. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

oh yeah the single is super encouraging

11. Hugo G.

FKA whiterussian Supporter

Yeah, Dustin is a very straightforward writer so this one felt a bit more poetic in that sense. Song titles also intriguing to that effect haha

12. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

This song feels layered and dense, but still gives each instrument room in the song to shine through. I get moments of Image of the Invisible with the urgency in the riff and the chorus has a similar release to that urgency, and the guitar part having some Of Dust and Nations later in the song. All wrapped in their more groovier thicker current feel. This tempo of the song is sort of middle of the road for them and leaves tons of room open to have faster and slower songs on the record close by to help make this track feel unique.

As for concept or theme of the record, it may have a slight apocalyptic feel, but Dustin has used those themes before, as well as darkness/light, longing, wings and few others which is fun. Having a line about “wearing a smile like a mask” is also very 2020/2021.

I know there is a curiosity if there is some kind of “Horizons/West”, but I think the East is about looking East (as the band is a bunch of Westerner’s) at the political and social climate as it existed when they wrote the record. I think Dustin’s lyrics on this song are pretty fantastic.

Also, having the same 4 members who write music for the band always gets me excited where a Thrice record goes musically.

13. ragnarokstar

Regular

They just added a purple variant to the store if anyone is interested.

14. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

15. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

first song has a strong Beggars vibe to me because of the production. I am so fucking stoked.

beachdude, sophos34 and .K. like this.
  16. dqwinny

THRILLHOUSE Supporter

fell off with these guys after Beggars and im shocked by his voice in this one. Sounds like a different band.

17. Kmil

Trusted

Yeah this song is great, stuck in my head and have only heard it 3 times. I loved Palms, but as long as there's not a Hold up a Light song on here, it could be great.

SmashRipsaw likes this.
  18. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

ok after listening to the podcast riley was on i am sold on the two albums theory. he was secretive about it, but said they were already back in the studio, it was a “unique” situation, and they have a loose deadline.

beachdude and Crisp X like this.
  19. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

What podcast?

20. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  21. Just got to listen to Scavengers, somehow I get Manchestra Orchestra vibes from the groove, but that might be because their new album is still fresh on my mind. I like the restraint in Dustin's voice this time, it makes for a different experience from their past few lead singles.

beachdude and Anthony Brooks like this.
  22. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Definitely there best “first” single in a while. The Grey, and BiTS are very average compared to this banger.

23. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I know it might not be the popular opinion but I’ll still carry the torch for blood in the sand

24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I like it, but of the last three singles, Scavengers is easily my fav.