Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice - Horizons/East (September 17 digital, October 8 physical) Album • Page 34

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Kmil, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

damn he must watch too much rick and morty. got a link?

2. Hugo G.

FKA whiterussian Supporter

The Alchemy Index was pretty much finished before 1 and 2 were released, I think

3. Ricky's Law

This is a damn fine cup of coffee.

Same session, yes. And that's because they were originally going to release them all at once.

beachdude and Hugo G. like this.
  4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

5 songs written and partially recorded a much larger head start than most bands have on the follow up regardless when a new album drops tho. with a normal 2 year album cycle it could easily simply be a year instead.

InExile and beachdude like this.
  5. Ricky's Law

I just realized that Delta is going to put the clamps on those acoustic performances that they do during many of their tour stops. What a bummer. I mean, maybe Octane can happen since they'll have tighter protocols than some of the random places they've performed at, but still.

6. InExile

Regular

There’s definitely a character/story being told in the lyrics with the exception of a couple songs like Buried in the Sun which is an obvious political statement and doesn’t quite seem to be connected to the “story” of Horizons, but who knows.

7. InExile

Regular

Is anyone cool with Ed having a bigger vocal role in Thrice? Im cool with him screaming/back up screaming vocals whenever he wants on the record.

Hugo G. likes this.
  8. InExile

Regular

I’d love more Ed screams on Still Life.

9. InExile

Regular

Last point before i alert the spam bots. I think this album can be even better once West is released and all is complete in the world. Basically to those not feeling it, I think there’s a chance for it to “click” next year after West comes out.

10. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

He’s on still life, and what else?

11. InExile

Regular

I think he’s just on Summer Set Fire to the Rain, but I was saying I’d love it if he did scream on Still Life :-)

latortuga and Leftandleaving like this.
  12. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Wait that’s him, not Dustin?

13. Ricky's Law

beachdude and Leftandleaving like this.
  14. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

this is solid. nothing groundbreaking or whatever but better than I expected from them at this point. cool guitar tone and the vocals are dustin's best in a bit but it's a little samey

tvck likes this.
  15. burnout2888

Regular Prestigious

I kind of like that it has a focused direction now, TBE and Palms felt really unfocused so I'm okay with a little samey

16. latortuga

Regular

Personally I think this is a nicely varied Thrice record and that they have done some interesting things here while keeping their undeniable sound. Spoken verses on The Dreamer, the 7/8 time signature on Robot, slow sludgy Still Life. Just some great earworms here too, I keep getting Buried and Summer stuck in my head, but it depends on which track I just listened to.

I loved TBE, I felt that the lyrics were very strong without the preachiness that turned me off on Beggars. Not to mention the melodies and production! Just great record, I return to it a lot, more that other favorites like Alchemy and Vheissu. I see myself returning to horizons as well.

noisyneighbour likes this.
  17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

fuck

18. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

frankly dislike "Buried" and "Dreamer" a fair bit but everything else is superb. "Dandelion Wine" is an all-timer from these lads

ezmo311 likes this.
  19. InExile

Regular

I realized that we don’t simply cease to be
    We become

20. Quercus

Regular

I agree with Palms, but I thought TBEITBN was very focused and cohesive. Almost to its detriment.

sophos34, .K. and Hugo G. like this.
  21. tvck

Trusted

Listened to this while cooking breakfast this morning and wow, really excellent. I love the tones and melodies all throughout. Some of their best stuff in awhile for me. Dandelion Wine is my early standout.

22. Hugo G.

FKA whiterussian Supporter

The lyrics are something else.
    Dustin completely switching it up.

Quercus likes this.
  23. atlas

Trusted

Still Life is emerging as the fav for me. So goddamn good. Breckenbros have their fingerprints all over that one, it's got that angular/mildly dissonant/Failure/Shiner type sound going on that I know they're super into

24. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I'm glad people are loving this album, but it's my least favorite post-reunion album from them. Doesn't make it bad by any means, though, there are just only a handful of songs that I love on it

25. Ricky's Law

In hindsight, I'm shocked that Color of the Sky wasn't the automatic opener the entire time. It has such an introductory and urgent feel to it. Glad Dustin made the call to bump Scavengers to second.

beachdude, Cameron and RyanPm40 like this.