Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice – Palms

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

“Are you ready for my soul?/What if I’m broken from the start?/And what if I never heal?” lead vocalist Dustin Kensrue, of Thrice, sings on the sixth song on Palms. This outpouring of emotion is what we have come to expect from Thrice over the years, but the honesty and earnestness of Kensrue’s delivery feels different with this great album. Thrice have a back catalog of albums that most artists would be envious of, and on their ninth studio album, they could have gone in any number of directions. The most important course for Thrice has always been forward, as they have improved upon their unique brand of rock as they continue to evolve as artists.

The first song, “Only Us” finds Kensrue pondering when society will eventually just get fed up with the current landscape, and not be afraid to break the mold. On lyrics such as, “Finally when will it be enough/To find there’s no them/There is only us,” it’s almost as if Thrice is giving us a direct call-to-arms to say: enough is enough. The electronica elements found throughout this LP are a welcomed addition to the Thrice sound that was tinkered with on The Alchemy Index, as well as the more recent To Be Everywhere, Is To Be Nowhere album.

Guitarist Teppei Teranishi is as sonically mesmerizing as he’s ever been on these ten songs, as he knows just when to crank up the dial and when to let a track brood for a bit. This works best on tracks such as the two previously released singles, “The Grey” and “The Dark,” which each have their intricate elements on them to make them stand out from must of the sludge being played on Modern Rock radio. The latter track even features several backing voices that Thrice reached out to for from their fans directly, through a video submission process that was featured on our site here. The haunting track fits well on this album and sets the darker tones that Thrice were going for on this LP.

One of my favorite songs on this record, “Everything Belongs,” is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite songs by the band, with its gorgeous backing piano and gut-wrenching emotion dripping through the speakers. It’s on songs like this that remind me of why I got so deeply ingrained into Thrice in college, and also still today, in my mid-30’s. They write fucking great songs.

“A Branch in the River” is one of the least strong songs Thrice have written, post-hiatus, and I am almost surprised it wasn’t a b-side. However, Thrice redeem themselves quickly on “Hold Up a Light,” with a Beggars and Major/Minor-type build-up, to a powerfully delivered chorus. While “Blood on Blood” reminded me of some of the more acoustic-type tracks found on back half of The Alchemy Index, it doesn’t detract from the overall message that Thrice were willing to put everything on the line for this record.

Naysayers be damned, this is still a great Thrice record. I would have a hard time putting it over the classics in their discography. The fact that Thrice recently charted at #27 on the Billboard 200 should not dissuade you from letting this record grow on you. Thrice have more than earned our respect over the years, so even a slight step down from the classic albums does not make this a weak record at all. Thrice are simply taking the artistic opportunity to stretch their sound in new and interesting ways, and I can’t wait to see how these songs come alive on their upcoming tour.

2. Quercus

Regular

This is a joke....right?

3. sayitaintjoe

Was thinking the same thing. IMO Hold Up a Light is the weakest song on the record, and doesn't remind me of Beggars in the slightest.

A Branch in the River is one of the stronger songs for sure. Just Breathe and Beyond the Pines are two of the best songs they have ever done - and are much more in the vein of Beggars than Hold Up a Light.

Excellent record overall, can't wait to see how the new songs translate live.

Quercus likes this.
  4. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I said it in a previous thread and I'll say it again, Thrice has never connected with me but I am obsessed with this record.

Quercus likes this.
  5. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Nah this is the worst Thrice record

6. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

I haven't been able to stop listening to this album for the last 2 weeks. Great album!

7. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

One of their absolute best for sure. An impressive feat this far into their career.

sayitaintjoe and Quercus like this.
  8. princexero

Let's Lead, Not Follow

Thrice can do no wrong. Amazing album.

9. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Purely for my own sanity, can we edit the review so “one of the least strong songs” is replaced with “one of the weakest songs.”

Please? For the culture?