Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice – Horizons/East

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The word that most closely comes to mind when talking about Thrice is consistency. The second word that I most closely associate with this legendary band on their 11th studio album, Horizons/East, is variety. They simply do not make the same record twice; a true marking of an artist that is uncomfortable with the comfort that comes with creating similar sounding material. On Horizons/East, Thrice are able to embrace the change that comes with pushing themselves to their artistic limits, and much like that famous Lindsay Lohan meme; the limit does not exist.

This picturesque record opens with the sprawling “The Color of the Sky,” as Dustin Kensrue sets the stage with, “My first and foremost memory / Is staring up in wonder at the wall / It circumscribed the city / They said beyond it nothing dwelt at all / But I came to wonder if the stories all were true / So one night I made my mind up / I resolved that I would find a passage through” before drummer Riley Breckenridge explodes into one of my favorite drum fills in recent memory. Kensrue’s closing lyrics of “I don’t know the way, but I know that I belong out here / On this journey that I never thought I’d make / Setting out across a new frontier / A new horizon with each eager step I take,” seems to encapsulate everything that I love about his top-notch storytelling on my favorite opening tracks in their discography since Vheissu’s “Image of the Invisible.”

”Scavengers” is a completely different type of song, as it establishes a great bass line groove from Eddie Breckenridge that perfectly complements Kensrue’s guitar tones and vocals, intercepted with the utter brilliance of Teppei Teranishi, who continues to bring out surprise after surprise with each subsequent release. “Buried in the Sun” follows with another unique, yet abrasive sounding looped part that allows for Kensrue’s near-shouted opening verse feel like it’s packed with plenty of purpose. As the song progresses, Thrice channels their inner-prog rock brethren, with a dash of Alternative Rock punch.

”Northern Lights” follows the sprawling collection of different sounding songs found in the front half with a piano-laced song that relies more on Kensrue’s storytelling and experience as a frontman to explore not the path that lies before them, but the less traveled journey into the unknown. The song feels as free-flowing as Thrice has ever allowed themselves to be, and remains an early standout in the set. The bridge of “We want it all / We demand the impossible / There’s a better way to build a world / Where every hand is held and holding up,” seems like the type of direction we could use in this country and the world, in general, to get things set on the right course.

My personal favorite on Horizons/East comes in next with the brilliantly titled “Summer Set Fire To The Rain,” that rocks about as hard as the heavier material that came on Vheissu with a bit of The Artist in the Ambulance thrown in for good measure. Kensrue’s perfectly pitched vocals on the second verse of, “The winter held spring in white gloves / And slowly it grew / But you just stood there / Waiting for the world to walk out / To walk out on you” are some of the best lyrics he’s constructed in his tenure with a band that is aging like a fine wine.

”Still Life” is one of the slowest songs in this set, and it didn’t hit me with the emotions I was expecting to feel, even after repeat spins of the album. It’s definitely one of those “slow-burning” tracks that may have needed to be fleshed out a little more in order to really explore the dark tones that it tries to light up. Overall, it’s one of the only songs I could truly live without in this collection. Luckily things get redeemed quickly and partially back on the right path with “The Dreamer.” The verses reminded me a bit of the “shouted poetry” of Rise Against’s “The Approaching Curve” (off of The Sufferer and The Witness), and yet it seems like a curious choice of a song to nearly lead in the second half of the record. This is another song that I didn’t connect with as much as I was hoping I would.

One of the singles recently released, “Robot Soft Exorcism” is another one of those Thrice songs that you hear for the first time and find yourself trying to remember where you’ve heard it before. The problem is, they have created so much of their own lane with their music that it’s almost impossible to escape from the monster that Thrice created. The song churns along with purpose, and Kensrue’s line of “I know you’re scared / But so are we / And if you dare / You’ll start to see,” lets the listener in on the poorly kept secret that Thrice have got our back, even when it seems like the world is against us.

”Dandelion Wine” is a great title for a song that feels jazzy, sprawling, and yet focused at the same time. Much like getting punch drunk off of the material found in Thrice’s discography, the song demands to be consumed with headphones on to fully bring in the rich textures that come from tuning out all of the outside distractions in our lives. The album closer, “Unitive/East” initially reminded of the spacey rock that felt like floating above the clouds on their Alchemy Index: Air record, and the piano playing from Teranishi is top notch for someone who is arguably more talented on the guitar. The song, much like a lot of the back half of the album, travels off into the abyss more often than it hits its target, yet it still leaves just enough satisfying of a taste in the listeners’ mouths to want to take another quick look at Horizons/East.

This record is far from perfect, but hopefully will end up being one of those albums that really grows on me as the weather turns shitty, and I have more time to fully engross myself into the shorter days/longer nights that are sure to come from the changing of seasons. This record, if nothing else, made me appreciate Thrice’s willingness to throw everything out there and see what sticks as an approach to writing for the purpose of expanding what their sound can be. With so much in the world being taken away from us, I can only hope that Thrice remains the steady hand of consistency as they gear up for getting back on the road and take our breath away, one show at a time.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. stephenvstrex

grace upon grace

i’m pretty indifferent with this record. i want to like it but some lyrical themes seem recycled in “color of the sky” and “northern lights” and touches back with their lackluster previous album. thrice is one of my favorite bands of all time but i can’t seem to love this album but i want to. “still life” broke my heart. probably the most honest song on the record. i’ll keep spinning it and hopefully it will grow on me.

i’m looking forward to the companion album.

3. Written a bunch about it in my newsletter, but this is my favorite Thrice album since Beggars, by a pretty significant margin.

4. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

I was really torn on the rating of this one…there are some really amazing songs on here, but I felt the middle dragged a bit for me to go full “HR”. I think this album has a chance of sneaking up higher on my end year list tho…

thechetearly likes this.
  5. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

I agree, but with the releases after Beggars it’s still not saying a whole lot. They’re Dad Rock now…which is cool! But not anywhere near beggars and before for me.

thechetearly likes this.
  6. I like the releases after Beggars too. And would put this above some of their early releases at this point too though.

7. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I think I might slightly prefer Palms. I don’t know. I’ll be curious to see where I’m at a year from now. Because I do think this is the more consistent record. On palms, I really dislike the synths on Only Us, some of the more cheesy lyrics on that song and The Dark, and Hold Up A Light just in general. But the songs I like on Palms just do more for me, I think.

But we will see! I’m excited to find out if that holds up.

8. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

:chin:

Bartek T. and scottlechowicz like this.
  9. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

10. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

So, is there going to be a companion album? Has it been confirmed?

paythetab likes this.
  11. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

I am really struggling to get into this album. I enjoy a few tracks, but it might be my least favorite thrice release.

palebluedot and thechetearly like this.
  12. thechetearly

Regular

Entirely agreed here. I feel like musically and lyrically the last few records are pretty interchangeable to me. That being said, I VERY much enjoy the album opener of this one.

They'll always be a really solid band, I'm sure, but at a certain point I think some of these bands (Manchester Orchestra and Jimmy Eat World I would put under this same umbrella) run dry with their overall talent / inspiration well / etc. Doesn't mean they're bad bands now, but I think they've reached their ceiling a while ago.

palebluedot likes this.
  13. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Manchester Orchestra just put out their best record this year.

mattzimm and stephenvstrex like this.
  14. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

Bartek T. likes this.
  15. VanderlyleCrybaby

Regular Supporter

Interesting, was kind of expecting more positive reactions for this one, I have to agree with @Jason Tate I think this is their best album since Beggars (and I loved Major Minor a whole bunch when it came out too). But art is subjective so totally respect everyone's opinions. Also interestingly Still Life is one of my favorites on the album even though seems like a lot of people don't care for it, the atmospheric intro is absolutely incredible and reminds me very much of Alchemy Index era and gives me the same feeling as You Stole by Brand New (which is my favorite song on Daisy). I'm just glad to have an album that really excites me from Thrice, it's been like a decade since that's been the case. I also think the journey Dustin has been on the last few years has made a lot of the lyrical themes really fascinating, even though he's obviously always been a great lyricist.

Ska Senanake, paythetab and Bartek T. like this.
  16. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

I love it. I was a big fan of Major/Minor as well, and this is my favorite since that record.

17. stephenvstrex

grace upon grace

as i get older, major/minor has meant more to me because of loss, heartache and the need for truth. disarmed is easily my favorite closer from thrice. super underrated track.

18. David Marshall

Pilot of the Grand Anselmo

This. I get why people wouldn't love this album, but I think it's one of their best. I've been listening to it near-nonstop since it came out. I think the only song I don't love is "Buried in the Sun," as something doesn't quite click for me. But yeah, apart from Beloved, Thrice is my favorite band, so I'm definitely biased.

paythetab likes this.
  19. David Marshall

Pilot of the Grand Anselmo

paythetab likes this.
  20. VanderlyleCrybaby

Regular Supporter

Disarmed is amazing, that and Words in the Water from major/minor are just top tier Thrice

21. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Oh thanks, I think I missed it too somehow. Though we could have expected that by the title of course, but it's great to hear it's true ;d now I've even read an aarticle on guitarworld.com stating that part of it has already been recorded during the same sessions.

paythetab likes this.
  22. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I was also going to reference that interview. It's a great read!

Bartek T. and paythetab like this.
  23. LightsOut

Regular

Im trying very hard but for now this album do nothing for me:/

24. Daedalus84

The reason “Robot Soft Exorcism” seems familiar is because it lifts the chord progression from To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere’s “The Window”, which was very much “influenced” by Radiohead’s “Jigsaw Falling Into Place” off of In Rainbows. Which may be why they get the “Radiohead of Post Hardcore” moniker in so many reviews.

paythetab likes this.
  25. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I love this album. Best one of the post-hiatus releases.