Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice – “Black Honey”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Thrice have premiered the new song “Black Honey” over at NPR.

Lyrically the song spawned from an image that popped into my head; someone continually swatting at a swarm of bees to get their honey, but somehow not understanding why they would sting back in return. It seemed a fitting metaphor for much of U.S. foreign policy.

2. IceStationZebra Apr 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 27, 2016)
    IceStationZebra

Regular

Did I say $500? I meant $700. Love the Soundgarden vibe as Thrice has essentially become a 90s band (i.e. grunge) as of M/m. The 90s are the greatest decade in music so that's not a bad direction to take.

And before you attack Dustin's lyrics, remember one thing: lyrics are personal. They're not meant for you. If you attach your own meaning to them, great! But, critiquing them is an exercise in futility.

Dustin can say whatever he wants as long as he brings a powerhouse performance with beautiful melodies and harmonies (which he's done).

3. Jesse Atticus

Newbie Supporter

Love it

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  4. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

I just can't express how much I'm loving this song.

5. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

This is good. I can definitely hear the 90's references in the lead, though I don't know if I hear the Chris Cornell comparisons. Then again, I've been listening to Thrice for so long that Dustin's voice sounds like only Dustin to me.

I like that these two songs have seemed so direct and to the point. If the whole album turns out that way, it will provide a nice counterpoint to some of their earlier work.

6. PDPOUTCAST

2/2 so far!

7. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

I'm nervous to listen to too much before this album comes out. But glad to hear generally positive reactions!

8. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Love the song! I don't see the part quoted on NPR (about it being a metaphor for foreign policy). Did they remove it, or does @Melody Bot have ideas about lyrical themes?

9. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

This week keeps on giving.

10. It was there in the actual press release from the label.

[​IMG]

11. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Only Dustin could've come up with such a fitting analogy.

12. This song is way better than most bands entire discographies, and its not even super special. What a master class in songwriting.

13. Ravelle17

Initial thoughts: not as exciting as "Blood on the Sand", but still enjoyable. It could use one or two more chords to spice up the droning just a little bit here and there.

The production, however, is fantastic.

14. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

2/2 thanks gentlemen

15. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Right on. That's what I got from the song. Wonder why they left that out.

16. CMilliken

Trusted

I've been holding off listening to second "singles" from most albums coming out. Glad to see people are liking it. I'm gonna wait.

Lindsay M and Chase Tremaine like this.
  17. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

This sounds great. Stoked for the new record now!

18. Wow, another jam. Love it. Can't wait for June 17th to see them live.

19. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Really enjoying the politicized lyrics after the more obvious religious themes from the last 2 albums.
    Helps this feel new and different than M/m and Beggars

20. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

This is fantastic. I also love that Thrice's official Twitter handle tweeted out all the Broken Lungs lyrics. That song is one of my all time favorites and means so much to me. Political Thrice songs are so interesting to me.

21. efp722

Regular

my body is ready

22. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I think this song is incredible

23. IceStationZebra

Regular

Dustin also tweeted the lyrics to "The Sky is Falling" and said that they're playing it live on the next tour. Like "The Arsonist," they barely played this track live prior to the hiatus.

Oddly enough, "Broken Lungs" is one of the few Thrice songs I don't enjoy.

atticusfinch likes this.
  24. lava890

Regular Supporter

I never gave Thrice much of a listen before, but I'm enjoying both of these new songs.

25. way better than the first track