Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Martin McDonagh; November 10, 2017) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

I can't believe the positive reviews. I can see where it would appeal to a certain type of critic, but even a lot of arthouse/independent outlets praised this.

yeahrightdude and suicidesaints like this.
  2. Morrissey

Trusted

The racist cop and the mother of the dead girl take a road trip from Missouri to Idaho to kill a guy that they originally suspected of being the murderer, but DNA evidence and his military history shows it is not him. They figure he probably did other terrible things, though, and start their journey. They say "is this a good idea?" and they are both unsure if it is or not. Then the movie ends.

Is this a joke?

3. Morrissey

Trusted

When the lead cop dies, Lester Freamon comes in and takes over. As a morally upstanding cop, and a black one in an all-white racist department, you think he is going to catch the murderer and bring the mother peace. He does nothing and then the movie is over.

4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

My favorite part of this movie is how the dumb racist cop is shown to be exclusively extremely dumb and seems content to read comic books and not do his job all day until he gets a letter from his dead boss saying "I always knew you wanted to be a detective", which was not hinted at anywhere previously in the movie, and then he learns morals and detective work and intentionally gets the shit kicked out of him so he can get skin fragments/DNA like he's fuckin Sherlock Holmes now

5. Morrissey

Trusted

I have no idea what is supposed to be in the lead for the Oscars, but this seems like the type of film that will win all the awards.

suicidesaints likes this.
  6. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

This was not good.

Considering the movie makes very clear that Idaho guy did not kill the daughter, what is the purpose of a scene in which he shows up to the souvenir shop specifically to terrorize McDormand’s character and imply he did it?

Davjs, jkauf and suicidesaints like this.
  7. Morrissey

Trusted

Apparently people are labeling this a comedy. How is a story about a family torn apart by the rape and murder of their daughter, systemic racism and incompetence by the police, a suicide due to cancer, and a woman obsessed with revenge a comedy?

CarpetElf and suicidesaints like this.
  8. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

It's comedic how terrible it is.

Davjs, TJ Wells and CarpetElf like this.
  9. Dog with a Blog

God dammit. Now I want to check this out. I had a casual interest, then I missed it when it was near me and stopped caring, but now I feel I have to see it. I’ve never seen In Bruges, but I was not a fan of Seven Psychopaths, if that matters at all.

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

In Bruges is very good. I turned off Seven Psychopaths

11. Morrissey

Trusted

In Bruges was okay, but the fish in the barrel jokes about fat American tourists by Colin Farrell are obviously what informed McDonagh's idea of what the American South is like.

12. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

That article that called this 2017’s La La Land was insulting. La La Land is actually a good movie.

13. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

it wasn’t, but the comparison is insulting in that la la land didn’t have a blatant racist moron cured from his bigotry bc he got burned in a fire and his boss died

suicidesaints and CarpetElf like this.
  14. Morrissey

Trusted

La La Land was boring, but it was much better than this. Both are obvious attempts at winning awards, but La La Land is a masterpiece in comparison to this.

I completely forgot about La La Land until this thread, though.

suicidesaints and primavera like this.
  15. Dog with a Blog

I like La La Land. It’s simple, but it’s fun and I really love the music. I understand why people aren’t into it, but I really enjoy it.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and TJ Wells like this.
  16. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This is significantly worse than La La Land, another film I deeply disliked. TIFF People’s Choice Award winners always killing it.

Aregala, suicidesaints and primavera like this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah I think lumping this in with "Oscars backlash" is dumb , like there's clearly something different with say people being more critical of Juno because there's an idea of what Oscar caliber means then white people glaring over race issues and black critics watching it and having a viscerally negative reaction

Anthony_, suicidesaints and TJ Wells like this.
  18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah parts of this, esp the ending, were very dumb. Didnt hate it tho

19. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

You're being too kind

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It is certainly not the best film of the year but awards season is making people much, much more critical than they otherwise would be. Many plot points and character choices did not add up. The man from Idaho being unrelated, or connected but none of his DNA was found or w/e, was very dumb. Rockwell’s character sucked. There was no need for Dinklage at all aside from cheap jokes.

The film deserves criticism, absolutely, but the hyperbole matches that which we all mock when people shower praise on films we don’t like

I enjoyed a decent amount of the humor in the film. The new girlfriend character’s lines were hilarious and weird and more of what I like to see McDonagh do

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Penelope deserved better than that movie and that town full of assholes

22. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I think you’re overlooking a lot of why people hate this film so much, i.e. redemptive racist, etc. I think the script is terrible, but a large amount of the complaints about this have more to do with the ideas the film pushes and not the quality of film making.

Aregala likes this.
  23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I didn’t really find his character redemptive, though. He was a shithead and stayed a shithead

24. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I thought the movie made the characters to all be imperfect/bad people

25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It definitely didn't do a good job of it, but yeah they were flawed as hell