Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Martin McDonagh; November 10, 2017) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Mar 23, 2017.

1. This is where you and I both have that contrarian part of our brain that perks up.

OhTheWater likes this.
  2. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I wouldn’t say this movie is horrible but my opinion on it has soured since I saw it.

3. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Yeah I haven’t really read anything about the movie but the more I think about it the less I like it. I wouldn’t say it’s bad but it’s nowhere near In Bruges or Seven Psycopaths

4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

It's not just that it's a "bad" movie, even though Jake points out quite a few things that in retrospect are just plain bad... It's that it's problematic and offensive.

I can't really vouch for anything he's said on Twitter, but listen to the podcast starting around 37 minutes. He goes into more specific detail as to why he feels the way he does, cites examples from the film, etc...

Like I said, I initially enjoyed the movie, but after hearing that podcast, I've completely changed my mind.

5. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

genuinely believe there is a non-zero chance the script was auto-generated by a bot. the dialog isn’t fucking human. it’s awful

dinklage and cornish’s characters are specifically bad

Davjs and suicidesaints like this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

suicidesaints likes this.
  7. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

8. Morrissey

Trusted

I made my worst films of the year list way too early. The plight of the Oscar film seems like it will never go away.

9. Morrissey

Trusted

The movie starts with the main character stopping her car to stare at billboards as if she had never seen a billboard before. This is going to be a long one.

10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I can't wait to hear what Tetra has to say about this movie.

11. Morrissey

Trusted

Frances McDormand is rambling about Crips and Bloods for absolutely no reason except some abstract point about culpability.

12. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I really hope you're not live commenting about this while at the movie theater. And if you are, please tell me you are the only one in the theater.

13. Morrissey

Trusted

When I go to the theater I sit in the back with my notebook. I would not pay to see this.

suicidesaints and CarpetElf like this.
  14. Morrissey

Trusted

In a flashback, the daughter literally says "I hope I get raped!" before the actual event occurs. I am taking a nap and going to see Phantom Thread later. I can't take this anymore.

15. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I have yet to see this because of the reaction in here. This seals that.

Also, what lol. That was an actual line?

16. primavera

yep! and then the strings swell as frances remembers that, yeah, her daughter did get raped that night

it's chill.

suicidesaints and brandon_260 like this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

that's also the only scene they show the daughter and the only thing they say about who she was as a person

Davjs and suicidesaints like this.
  18. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I was on board with this in the first half, but it totally lost its way and fell apart for the rest. Super overrated.

19. Morrissey

Trusted

"Talking about dead kids, what about the billboard lady?"

The ex-husband comes in and starts strangling his ex-wife over a comment, their son pulls out a knife and puts it to his father's throat, and then the ex-husband's new girlfriend comes in and goes "well THIS is awkward!"

Now McDormand is talking to a deer about reincarnation. I overslept and missed Phantom Thread so I am going to plow through this garbage.

20. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Let us know what you think about Woody Harrelson's posthumous letters

21. Morrissey

Trusted

It was cringeworthy enough when the wife made those comments, but when he puts it in his suicide note I rolled my eyes as hard as I ever had.

suicidesaints and primavera like this.
  22. Morrissey

Trusted

It looks like Sam Rockwell gained a little bit of weight to play the schlubby manchild small town cop, but he adopted this swagger of a man twice his size to compensate.

He is such a cartoonish villain. He immediately makes racist comments when he meets people, and he lives with his mother and spends most of his free time with her. It is how Hollywood loves to portray racist people; it is scarier when you realize that actual racists can be successful, otherwise normal members of the community that people take seriously.

jkauf, CarpetElf and suicidesaints like this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

Apparently in the world of this movie the police station just closes down for the night, because as we all know criminals go to bed early. McDormand acts with genuine shock when her decision to firebomb the police station (which is completely counterproductive to her desire to force a police investigation into her daughter's murder) ends up with a person on fire, who was only in there to learn that the dead sheriff thought that Rockwell had "potential", even though the film has never established that at any point in the movie.

DeathOrGlory, OotyPa, jkauf and 3 others like this.
  24. primavera

it sounds like he's making it up, but folks, it really is that bad!

25. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Yup. This movie is fooling everyone. It's really a dumpster of a movie.

yeahrightdude likes this.