Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Martin McDonagh; November 10, 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Haha actually I had to call an audible because my brother overslept, we saw this and Coco instead :(

We can still be best buds though...

Serh likes this.
  2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Still two great films. Definitely see Lady Bird at some point. Top 3 movie of the year and one of the best coming of age films maybe ever

aoftbsten, Dodger and Anthony_ like this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen Nov 26, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 26, 2017)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I'm gonna start off with my main complaint, I get that that's how the characters would talk but there were a lot of fucking slurs in this movie, r word, n word, c word, f word, constantly calling Peter Dinklage a "midget"
    Also wish we got to know Angela a little more

but yeah Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell and Lucas Hedges were all great;and I love that Mac's mom basically played Mac's mom in this haha

4. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Really enjoyed this. Some of it didn't land, but really enjoyed the parts and elements that did.

Favorite line by far: "Penelope said 'begets'?"

I Am Mick and aoftbsten like this.
  5. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I absolutely loved this. The humor is dark as hell, but it always hit a somber tone when it needed too. All the jokes actually seemed to work to heighten the more serious moments to really nail it home that this is actually a pretty fucked up situation in a pretty fucked up town.

But I definitely felt a little uncomfortable watching it at time for the reasons @iCarly Rae Jepsen listed. Also, while I enjoyed the character arc for Dixson, I also found myself a little uncomfortable with the idea of this white cop who has allegedly beat black people getting some sort of redemption given the constant police abuse of black people in America.

6. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Definitely agreed about the slurs, although I thought they at least served some purpose in the context of the movie's themes - being words of hate and all.

7. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Also, I swear to god, the poster for this and Murder on the Orient Express are the identical.

8. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

THANK YOU!!

It's been driving me crazy when scrolling through MoviePass trying to find a theater that's playing this.

aoftbsten likes this.
  9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I don’t understand the praise for this. Script was a mess tonally and the notes of sentimentality completely fell flat among the movie’s cynicism. Good performances by McDormand and Dinklage and great cinematography, but this was a dud for me.

10. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

did a human write this or nah

Davjs and brandon_260 like this.
  11. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I liked the look of the film. Thought the rest was just okay.

12. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I went in expecting to love it and felt let down.

13. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Lady Bird won out for Sunday's movie by virtue of it's screening starting ten minutes sooner. Gonna have to make time for this one this week

14. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I loved it. Nowhere near as great as In Bruges or Seven Psychopaths but still excellent.

15. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

I loved about 5 scenes, which is enough for me to recommend it. Then there were moments that took me out of the reality I had accepted. Good performances all around.

16. Dog with a Blog

I probably won't be able to see this until after finals tbh. I didn't enjoy Seven Psychopaths all that much, but I've heard some glowing things about this which is why I'm interested. Though it's been interesting to see some middling reactions in here

17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I can’t overstate how much I hated this. The worst new film I saw in 2017. What a way to end the year.

primavera likes this.
  18. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

it was bad but it wasn’t the dinner bad

19. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

funny, despite my friend's comments above making me wanna say otherwise...

I absolutely loved this and it was one of my favorites of the year. Liked it more than Seven Psychopaths and nearly as much as In Bruges

Dodger likes this.
  20. I liked this, but I'm having a hard time with the movie hinging on the redemption of a bigoted asshole who suddenly has a change of heart and becomes good at his job. I found the ending sort of strange too.

Still, it was funny and had good performances.

aoftbsten likes this.
  21. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

yeahrightdude likes this.
  22. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Read the thread. Listen to the podcast.

He makes A LOT of good points.

23. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Yea, I remember walking out thinking this was great overall, but also really uncomfortable. I don't think the writing is as bad as Weisman is saying there, but it does feel like a really irresponsibly made movie with regards to race. The more I think about it, the less I like it.

Kennedy and suicidesaints like this.

24. Where are the good points in this thread? I just see lots of this ...

SpyKi and I Am Mick like this.
  25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

lol yeah idk much about that dude but it makes me want to watch the film more tbh.