Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thoroughbreds (Cory Finley, March 9, 2018) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Dog with a Blog

lol I was the only person to laugh at that. Felt so alone

iCarly Rae Jepsen and jjnunn118 like this.
  2. michael_gatto

Trusted

Loved the Swimfan jokes so much haha

jjnunn118 likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah the Swimfan joke was great and I love that both this and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend recently had Swimfan jokes, well arguably recently with this since it was at Sundance last year

4. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

I just finished this. Really liked it. The acting was great. Love Olivia Cooke. First thing Ive seen Anya in. Both were fantastic. On top of that I loved the writing of the characters, especially Amanda. The progression of the characters throughout the movie and how we perceive them is really what captivated me.

Fortunately and unfortunately this is one of those movies that makes me think and challenges me and it makes me feel stupid lol

I read this interview with Cory Finley (writer/director) and he says the movie examines “whether empathy is necessary in determining whether you’re a good or bad person" and also how their privilege and how capitalism plays into your empathy and social interaction, which I think I understand. Questions on morality always stumps me though. Love how Amanda seems to be the one to lack empathy as she fakes her emotions because of her inability to feel them and yet she saves people/horse throughout the movie. Throughout the movie we obviously see Anya gradually showing lack of empathy (the bag of chips, suggesting Amanda could kill her dad,her talking about what happened to Tim) and puts on her own masks and is constantly lying throughout the movie. I forgot why Amanda killed the horse though. It broke its legs and they didnt want to put it down?

I get that Amanda is the one who cant empathize yet is a better person and Anya has the ability to empathize but does shitty things, suggesting empathy isnt necessary, but that kind of feels surface level. There is the question of what the purpose of living if you cant feel. Then we see Amanda smile at the end looking at the childhood picture of them on horses. This shows she does feel emotion I guess and did have a purpose? Also does that fact that we find out they've been friends since childhood mean anything? or that they rode horses together?

Idk. Kind of swimming in the abstract of my mind trying to piece this together and just like Lily im drowning. Someone save me.

5. I really dug this. Olivia Cooke, ATJ, and Anton were all so good. Strong directorial debut.

6. Dog with a Blog

Yo I dunno if any of you know what kind of jacket Anya Taylor Joy is wearing for most of this but I need it

[​IMG]

7. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

This felt like half the movie didn’t get filmed. Idk. I liked it, I guess, but it felt incomplete.

Also kinda feel like it handled all the mental health aspects super clumsily and that’s something that I’m overly sensitive to.

8. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Kind of let down by this, but love how it was shot and directed.

Zilla and Garrett L. like this.
  9. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Good movie. Liked it for sure. Wonderful performances all around. (RIP Anton :tear:) Though, the whole time I was watching this all I could think was "this is what would happen if the white family from Get Out decided to just murder each other instead".

I also was the only one who chuckled at the Swimfan joke. Need more of you guys in my theater haha.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  10. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

One thing I noticed was the way the two girls are treated by adults. Both parents pay for someone else to look after them/keep them busy (Lily getting paid to hang out with Amanda, the stepdad putting the downpayment on another boarding school). Seems like a pretty strong parallel to how you pay for a horse to stay at a stable.

11. y2jayjk Mar 21, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 21, 2018)
    y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

In the theater now excited to see if I like it .

Edit: enjoyed it and loved seeing a movie that was 90 minutes.

SO MANY ARE TOO FUCKING LONG

aoftbsten likes this.
  12. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

this was, idk, fine i guess

13. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I wanna see this, even if the reactions in here are lukewarm. I love Anton and I didn't know he was in this.

14. Finally found this and I really, really loved it. Great performances all around. Very funny and very dark in equal measure.