Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, November 3, 2017) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, May 31, 2016.

1. RonandTammy

Regular

Yea, the axe, that's what I meant. I'm going from the comics, and also you can see the damn thing in some of the posters that have come out over the past few months.

2. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Is that the current run/Odinson one? I only read the first arc of the new Thor.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  3. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Just from the brief teaser, there is clearly an aesthetic similarity with the bright colors and even some of the ships, devices used. It is at least trying to look like it exists in the same space universe as GotG. And my guess is the tone and music choices are outgrowths of that (as well as excellent ways to sell the film and make a lot of money).

It goes back to Original Sin, the crossover event where Thor was deemed "unworthy" and lost his hammer.

zigbigwig likes this.
  4. RonandTammy

Regular

Ahh ok that's what it was. I knew he didn't have the hammer for one reason or another.

Also, does Cate Blanchett ever age? She looks amazing in this. But I'm getting a little mix of Davey Havok in Day of The Phoenix and old Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance...or The Crow.

5. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

And given everything we have seen (space and Thor losing his hammer), if one of the credits scenes isn't Beta Ray Bill, I will not be pleased.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  6. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Yeah this looks fun

Kuri44 likes this.
  7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Fox still has the FF rights as far as we know. I think a recent interview implied that they still plan on trying again eventually, rather than give up on the property. That takes Galactus, Doom, Kang, and the Skrull off the table, which thins out a lot of what can be done on a scale that brings everyone together to the extent that Thanos does.

They could bring back Ultron and do a bigger, more cosmic story with him (like in Remender's Rage of Ultron), or come up with some sorta Red Skull story that mixes elements of a wide variety of stories/concepts. If they have the rights to the Beyonder, maybe they could do something with him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Avengers 5 moved away from the cosmic, though, to keep things fresh. Something inspired by Under Seige could work really well.

zigbigwig likes this.
  8. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I'm incredibly impressed by this. I always thought Taika was a great choice but this just completely blew me away. I love the practical costumes on display in a lot of the scenes. The CG effects look amazing as well. I honestly don't know which of this year's Marvel films I'm anticipating most anymore.

coleslawed and SpyKi like this.
  9. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I have to imagine Annihilus is tied up with FF as well.

Are we sure that the Skrulls are tied up with Fox? Marvel have been using the Kree, which also debuted in FF if I am not mistaken.

EDIT: Looks like Marvel could use the Skrulls, but some specific Skrulls are owned by Fox.

James Gunn discusses ownership of Skrulls

10. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Forgot about Annihilus. Yeah, Fox has him, too. One of the many missed opportunities of that last F4 film was keeping the name Negative Zone for where they got their powers and bringing in Annihilus as the villain. Having him escape the Negative Zone due to their experiments and leaving Doom out until a hypothetical sequel would've done a lot of good for the film, though obviously more tweaks than that were needed, lol.

And I forgot that they later said they had partial rights to the Skrull. Weird that we haven't seen any yet, then. Maybe the specifics are too messy to be worth it.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  11. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

And Marvel also has an understandable hesitation about using characters they don't own outright. Whedon was able to push them on the Maximoffs, but without some serious prompting, I think Marvel would prefer to just find some other obscure cosmic villain to elevate.

12. Anthony_

Yeah definitely agree with this. Also, I still don't discount the possibility that Marvel and Fox came to a side agreement that Marvel could use them in Age of Ultron only if they killed off Quicksilver, and that Fox would in turn refrain from using Scarlet Witch. That way they both got one of them to use as they saw fit and no further fights over their odd dual-rights would be needed.

Marvel got the better end of that deal for sure, anyway. Especially considering they have and are using Vision.

coleslawed likes this.
  13. Davjs

Trusted

I thought when they made the deal all those years ago that the twins were always both in play for either company, I don't think QS death had much to do with Fox. I think it boiled down to they are the two that are both Avengers and both mutants. When the film rights deal were made, I also don't think either company thought they'd get to a point where the Avengers were a thing and making a billion dollars lol.

14. Anthony_

I'm saying that I think they struck a sort of backroom deal while Days of Future Past and Age of Ultron were being made, which led to them each getting one of the twins and agreeing not to use the other one. Makes sense from a business standpoint considering how strange their situation was as both mutants and Avengers.

15. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

This looks so exciting and fun, which is what Thor should be! I feel like this could be a truly great film.

SpyKi likes this.
  16. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

The first two were moderately successful for me to some degree, mainly because I just love the character and setting.

This one looks like an absolute blast.

17. Dodge725

Trusted

This looks great and Hela looks amazing. It looks like a Guardians clone, but that's not a bad thing. The other Thor movies have no personality so I'm alright with it borrowing from a movie that was all personality in GotG.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Anthony_D'Elia and Jusscali like this.
  19. Not necessarily. A lot of trailers showcase exactly what you're getting in the movie.

20. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Ricky baker!

Tim and coleslawed like this.
  21. This should definitely be better than Thor 1 and 2 combined.

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Combining those two films sounds like a slog.

23. Exactly.

24. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

thedrudo likes this.
  25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

lol they took out all of the fun stuff.

thedrudo likes this.