Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, November 3, 2017) Movie • Page 16

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, May 31, 2016.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I don’t mind that it was joke heavy since it established from the very start that it was a comedy.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. I guess I should clarify. The movies is hilarious. Unfortunately for me, I personally wanted something more of a fantasy epic.

Regardless, it’s definitely a fun watch and of course as a comic book character fan, pumped people are still digging these films.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  3. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

When you hire Taika Waititi you aren’t gonna get a fantasy epic

4. GBlades

Trusted

I didn't realise how much I needed Waititi in my life until this. I wanted fantasy but I got TR and I'm happy with that.

Henry and fenway89 like this.
  5. I’ll be 100% honest and say I wasn’t familiar with any of his prior work.

6. Dodger Feb 26, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 26, 2018)
    Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

I do think it should have been more serious at times. He lost his hammer, his hair, his best friends, his father, and his home that he’s lived his whole life. He basically lost everything. He found out he’s had an evil sister who’s been locked away that used to conquer worlds with his father. He didn’t know that his homeworld was created from his father doing all this shit

I love what we got and its one of my favorites of the MCU. but I could’ve used a little more seriousness towards those things and the mythology of it all.

7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Given the choice between a serious fantasy epic, or the most shamelessly comic book inspired film since Richard Donner's Superman drenched with Taika Waititi charm... I don't know why that'd even be considered a choice. Thank God for this film.

SpyKi and airik625 like this.
  8. I definitely agree with Dodger on this but Tim, it’s so hard to have an opposing viewpoint from you because I agree with like 99% of everything you post haha.

It’s great to be able to discuss stuff like this with you folks.

Tim likes this.
  9. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I mean, they could have had a better balance to those two types of movies. As it is, it’s really funny. But is it a movie I really care about? Not really. I laughed, a lot, but beyond that I didn’t feel much from the movie. They undercut almost every moment that could have a little dramatic weight to it. I think it weakens the movie for me.

Did I prefer this to the overly want to be serious tone of the first 2? Sure. I mean they had humor, too, but they did try to make it dramatic at times and most of that fell a little flat. Here they focused on the humor and it was done REALLY well. But I just want more than that.

10. Dodger

If it had to be only be one yea of course. Glad you loved it as much as you did. I just personally think a little more depth to the emotional seeds they planted would've made the movie even better than it was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Definitely wouldnt have been easy though considering I wouldn't want any of the humor toned down at all.

Also idk if this was posted but:

airik625 likes this.
  11. Tim

My hottest take on this movie is that the emotional beats, particularly between Thor and Loki, actually land perfectly. That brotherly arc carries more heart and meaning than a lot of "serious" films' moments. And, while Korg's foundations joke was the closest this film got to a misplaced gag, I don't think it took away from the moment immediately afterwards when the Asgardians are taking in what's happened.

But, as I've said a gosh darn billion times in Marvel threads, I love being both sincere and goofy in my daily life, even in emotionally tough moments, so that's just me.

Davjs, SpyKi, airik625 and 1 other person like this.
  12. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Let’s do get help.

13. Dodger

Hemsworth's delivery of this is perfection. I laugh every time

14. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

CDB65DB6-A5A9-4BDD-A683-5CCD023A3CDB.jpeg Found on Reddit:

15. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Pretty damn funny imo.

airik625 likes this.
  16. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Gotta get out to the store and pick this up today. Can't wait to see it again.

17. Tim

Not the best Honest Trailer, but man, the Marvel Studios logo bit at the beginning was fantastic.

18. Anthony_

Sometimes they really struggle when they do these for good movies, other times even if a movie is good they still have a lot to say. It can go either way.

19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I thought that one was hilarious.

carrytheweird likes this.
  20. Anthony_

Yeah after I watched it I thought it was actually a good one. Really clever jokes and observations. Great "Starring..." names as well.

carrytheweird likes this.
  21. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Just watched again...lol still so entertaining.

A lot of good lines that I forgot about...and not just the jokes. Hulk yelling “Friend stay!” when Thor jumps out the window is a little heartbreaking

22. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Loki looks like hot Tommy Wiseau

Mrplum5089 and Zac Djamoos like this.
  23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

coleslawed, Mary V, ChaseTx and 7 others like this.
  24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

That's awesome - I didn't think we would get another standalone Thor film after the conclusion of Endgame but I am, as they say, here for it. Especially with Taika behind it.

Davjs likes this.
  25. Great news. I was really interested in that Akira adaptation, though.

Davjs likes this.