Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, November 3, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, May 31, 2016.

1. Henry May 31, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 3, 2017)
    Henry

Moderator Moderator

Did you love Thor: Ragnarok? Did seeing a genuinely good Thor solo film make you hungry for more from the house that Jack Kirby built? Luckily for you, the Chorus comic book thread’s community has put together another batch of accessible recommendations for new readers to check out.

Whether you’re brand new to the wild and wonderful world of comics or a lapsed reader looking to jump back in, any one of these 5 books would be a great, fun place to start! Also, if you’d like more recommendations (Thor-related or otherwise), or if you’re a current reader interested in a cool place to talk comics, all are welcome in the official comic book thread. Come join us!

Thor God of Thunder Vol 1: The God Butcher
    Writer: Jason Aaron
    Artist: Esad Ribic
    Buy from InStockTrades or Amazon.

This is one of the first things I picked up when I was getting into comics, and I still think it's one of the best things I've read. The story follows Thor during three different time periods as he faces off against one of my favourite Marvel villains, Gorr the God Butcher. This is the start of Jason Aaron's incredible run of Thor books, which is still ongoing today with The Mighty Thor. It also features some astounding art by Esad Ribic; this is one I go back to frequently just to look at the artwork. If you're one of the many people who hate Thor based on his first two Marvel movies, I urge you to give this a try to see how great the character can be. If you've already been converted by the fantastic Thor: Ragnarok and you just want to know where to start reading, I don't think there's a better place than here. - @SpyKi

The Unworthy Thor
    Writer: Jason Aaron
    Artist: Oliver Copiel

What happens when Thor is deemed unworthy of carrying the one thing that makes him Thor? Is there potential in Odinson beyond his mighty Mjolnir? Odinson spans the universe defeating hordes of enemies in hope that one day, his hammer might come back to him. An old friend gives Odinson the scoop on an artifact that may help redeem himself, and it's off to the races. There are so many surprises throughout this book that I'd hate to spoil. This is a story of disappointment, inner reflection, and redemption that we haven't seen out of a Thor book before. Jason Aaron tells another great story about the man formerly known as Thor. I'd probably recommend some of the other books in his run before reading this one for continuity, but it does hold up as a standalone book. Fans of the film are bound to draw similarities with The Unworthy Thor. - @Henry

Angela: Asgard's Assassin Vol. 1: Priceless
    Writer: Kieron Gillen, Marguerite Bennett
    Artist: Phil Jimenez, Stephanie Hans
    Buy from InStockTrades or
    Amazon.
    "Nothing for nothing. Everything has its price." Thus is the mantra by which Angela, stolen daughter of Odin raised by the angels of the Tenth Realm, lives her life. This mantra drives her to steal Odin's new infant daughter for reasons she keeps to herself for perhaps a little too long. The Unworthy Thor and other citizens of Asgard unsurprisingly have a bit of a problem with this. Luckily, Angela finds help in the form of her friends, the Guardians of the Galaxy. This galactic, fantastical adventure feels epic, thanks in no small part to the painted sequences provided by Stephanie Hans, but it's also not afraid to have a little fun here and there. While Angela herself isn't in Thor: Ragnarok, enough characters and themes from this are for it to still be an engaging next step after watching the new film. - @Tim

Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk
    Writer: Greg Pak
    Artist: various artists

"Planet Hulk" is hands down one of the best Hulk stories I've read. In the trailer for Thor: Ragnarok, we see Hulk brought out into the arena to fight Thor, and that moment is something that's heavily influenced by the events in this comic. In this event, Hulk is sent to another planet because he's proven to be too dangerous to be on Earth. He fights in an arena just like the one in this film. Plus, the story is just flat out fantastic. It's everything you want in a Hulk story, and it really feels like he's going to get the type of screen time he deserves in the film, despite it not being a Hulk movie. As soon as you give this a read, it'll become clear what the connections are. And who doesn't want to see Hulk do what Hulk is best at and have it be completely justified? - @Deanna
    To hear Deanna talk more about this story, check out this episode of her weekly podcast, Welcome to Geekdom!

Avengers Disassembled: Thor

Writer: Michael Oeming
    Artist: Andrea Di Vito

Don't be turned off by the "Avengers Disassembled" label: Although this story was part of a larger Marvel event, it is an absolute Thor story through and through, and you can read it without any knowledge of that event. This is actually an excellent story to recommend to someone not entirely knowledgeable on the long running Thor mythos. The story literally begins with the creation of the universe, doing a great job of recapping the wars of Asgard and setting the stage for Ragnarok. That's what this story is: the final Ragnarok. Without his hammer and the power of the Gods, Thor must prepare the realms of Asgard for their true final battle. He must walk the same path as his father, Odin, his sacrifices matching his father's two fold, breaking his body and allowing his rebirth through the knowledge of his two worlds, mortal and God. He must defeat his mad brother, Loki, and break the cycle of death that has imprisoned the realms of Asgard since the beginning of time. This was the last Thor story for three years, and it's suitably epic, a true battle between between Gods. - @Vivatoto

[​IMG]

ChaseTx likes this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I feel like this is going to be two movies smashed together.

4. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

You mean.... Hulk-smashed together?

coleslawed and DerekIsAGooner like this.
  5. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I'm hoping Thor doesn't get sidelined in his own movie.

lightning13 and awakeohsleeper like this.
  6. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

A year and a half off still. Wonder how concrete that release date is.

7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I thought I had posted in this thread already? Guess not.

I'm most hyped for Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie, but there's no one new or returning in the cast I'm not excited about. Hopefully this lives up to the cast's previously unrealized potential.

9. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I feel like I enjoy the Thor films more than most and if this one has Hulk in as well I'm very excited for it, ha.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  10. Tim

I defend Dark World as a fun popcorn experience and own it, but both films are definitely forgettable. They still have a lot of potential to be realized, though.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  11. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I like both films but agree they are bottom MCU films for me.

I really like Thor and Hemsworth is fun so it makes them more tolerable.

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

13. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Wow, this is a long ways away.

14. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah weird how far out it is

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Hulk Gladiator armor is on display at SDCC.

[​IMG]

Adrian Villagomez and US Camera like this.
  16. michael_gatto

Trusted

Wait is it confirmed that she's playing Valkyrie?!

17. Tim

18. tucah

not champ Prestigious

[​IMG]

19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

love the retro feel

coleslawed and Adrian Villagomez like this.
  20. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

THOR! Ah-aaaaaahhhh! Savior of the universe!

21. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

They apparently confirmed Surtur will be in this as well.

22. michael_gatto

Trusted

All I want is Beta Ray Bill. Dammit Feige give me Beta Ray.

tucah likes this.
  23. airik625

Yep. Looks like it could be the cover on an N-64 game.

24. airik625

Didn't realize Karl Urban is going to be in this one.

25. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

Apparently they screened a short directed by Waititi that was essentially What We Do In The Shadows but with Thor instead of the vampires. I want to see this.