Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thor: Love And Thunder (July 8, 2022) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Jul 20, 2019.

1. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Thought that was cancelled, my bad. Still fucking sucks though, 2025 will be a new comic book movie every week. It’s bad.

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

comic book movie made: we need better story tellers telling these movies

better story tellers make a comic book movie: they should make original movies this is a waste of their time

3. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Nailed it

4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

ChaseTx, GrantCloud and Joe4th like this.
  5. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Maybe Taika loves comics too and enjoys having a hand in bringing this stuff to life

6. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

I think it’s great that the MCU is exposing Taikas weirdness and uniqueness to the masses rather than only just a small portion of cinephiles.

Plus this will create opportunities for his other solo projects. Studios will be willing to allow him to do what he wants.

ChaseTx and coleslawed like this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I have mixed feelings but I do think Taika and James Gunn were able to put their own spin on things enough that it felt like they were their own movies even if Marvel has a lot of creative power because of the MCU like we saw with the whole Edgar Wright thing

ChaseTx, GrantCloud, RyanPm40 and 2 others like this.
  8. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I just really don’t like the corporate monopolization of movies where I can’t see something like Midsommar when it opens because there are three screens in every theatre devoted to Spiderman but I’m happy for y’all I guess

9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The dude is probably living his dream. Such entitlement in this post.

10. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

"shill"

Come on. I have critiques of Disney's monopoly, corporate IPs drowning out creativity, late stage capitalism in general, etc. as much as the next person. But, that doesn't mean filmmakers can't make money putting their unique spin on IP that they genuinely love. Doesn't make them "a boring franchise director," even if the franchise they're working in isn't for you.

ChaseTx, GrantCloud, oakhurst and 2 others like this.
  11. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

So you can’t use something like Fandango to find a theater that’s playing it? I had to and I didn’t mind.

12. yung_ting Jul 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 21, 2019)
    yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

This is honestly fair and I wasn’t being sarcastic when I said I was legitimately happy for everybody excited about it. With so many reboots and revivals and sequels I just thought he was gonna do really cool things and this seems really vanilla. I think most people in here probably aren’t jumping to see new interesting ideas in film but in hindsight I shouldn’t have shit on the parade. Do think the weird amount of fan service movies being made will negatively effect cinema in general and we will look back on this period as corporations hijacking an entire medium, but I suppose I shouldn’t dread progress

Tim likes this.
  13. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Like honestly, I want people like Taika making movies for Marvel because I want people with his creativity at the helm. The first two Thor movies are some of the weakest in the whole MCU and it wasn’t until he made Ragnarok to where I actually gave a shit about Thor, it was the perfect mix of action and comedy that captured a feel the other two movies were missing.

ChaseTx and GrantCloud like this.
  14. PepsiOne Jul 21, 2019
    PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

This may sound like a truly insane notion, but, people can enjoy and look forward to two types of things, even simultaneously

15. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Uhhh this is a Bold Assumption.

16. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

damn, anti-capitalists really hate when you question the validity of the Wal-Mart of film

17. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I agree that Disney is legitimately bad for cinema. Their business model is one of acquiring their opposition to own any rival product. Their acquisitions lead to job loss, downsizing of studio branches, and filtering their ideas and visions over any in-production or future films made under their increasingly overwhelming umbrella. It’s worth being aware of their influence and how best one can push back against their overreach and negative effects while simultaneously legitimately enjoying some of their product.

spiffa0, ChaseTx, coleslawed and 4 others like this.
  18. personalmaps

Lmao that is not what’s happening but okay. There’s plenty of room to discuss the issue of disney’s Monopoly on the market without implying anyone who doesn’t hate all of the movies they put out is some idiot who doesn’t like interesting or challenging films.

19. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Agreed 100%. Still very silly to come into a Thor thread and say “I wouldn’t expect anyone in here to be interested in ~~true film~~ like me”

20. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Remember when Taika Waititi injected into the third Thor film a critique of American imperialism?

Also, still amusing to think how the literally state-funded military propaganda of Captain Marvel ended up actually being pro-immigrant & similarly anti-American imperialism. (While still also glorifying the military, so still mixed messaging, but whatever.)

21. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

From Tessa’s comments it seems like Thor 4 may also bring up a pro-immigration and refugee stance.

22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

guardians gonna be in this too?

23. yung_ting Jul 21, 2019
    yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

full disclosure: Spider-Verse was in my top 10 of last year, beautiful and inventive. If that much care went into every one of em I’d welcome the overlords

I’m outta here though and sincerely hope this movie is neat. Just wanna remind y’all that one person not also enjoying the most popular thing maybe ever shouldn’t really get anybody upset!

24. personalmaps

No one was upset about you not liking a thing oh my goodness. Please do congratulate yourself more for being the Ultimate Filmé Lover, we’ll all turn in our cards till we can ascend to your level.

25. yung_ting Jul 21, 2019
    yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

What a boring thing to say. I like tons of dumb shit and most of what I watch is accessible and fun. I also think ten Marvel movies a year probably isn’t great for the industry, especially when they’re enlisting directors that have proved they’re more than capable on their own. I’d rather see more movies like WWDITS and HFTW get made than another entry in the biggest franchise in history. Sorry?

also what is a Filmé and why does my alleged affinity for them invalidate my opinion