Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

This Wild Life - Low Tides (September 9, 2016) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Anthony_, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

This Wild Life have announced their new album, Low Tides, to be released September 9th on Epitaph. Preorders are available here:

This Wild Life | 'Low Tides' Out Sep 9

New Single, "Pull Me Out," has also been released and is pretty good.

jordanjohnson09 likes this.
  2. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Really like this band. The melodies are always memorable and the singers voice is fantastic. This song feels a little less immediate than their previous singles but I like that.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

That song's pretty solid, is their first album worth checking out?

4. SamLevi11 Jul 26, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 26, 2016)
    SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

It's really good. Full of massive melodies, and it's a very good chilled out album. Probably the ideal time of year for it recently.

Check out No More Bad Days, Stay Up Late, History & Puppy Love.

I actually discovered them when someone had No More Bad Days at their funeral (I edit videos of weddings, funerals, conventions, etc). Was very moving.

doubledribble and irthesteve like this.
  5. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

7. DoseofTerror

Regular

Is this band well received on this site?

Either way, listening to their new album now.

8. DoseofTerror

Regular

Just about done with the album and man, sounds like a completely different band.

The inclusion of electric guitar (I know they did this on 405 from their last album) is a nice touch, lots of electronic/synth going on also which is fine too. I think the main problem for me are Kevin's vocals. Gone are the soaring high notes in exchange for softer, almost spoken lyrics. It doesn't sound "bad", just a little one note across all of the tracks.

Jusscali likes this.
  9. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Idk, this kind of bored me. Don't think I'll be going back to this.

DoseofTerror likes this.
  10. DoseofTerror

Regular

You've heard them when they were a full band, right?

Not sure what happened here, the music it self works really well and sounds like a natural progression. The vocals were what bored me.

11. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I have. I guess maybe I'm just not that into the acoustic genre - or at least their style of it. I loved 405 from the first album though. I think they do that style better than acoustic.

12. DoseofTerror

Regular

I'm a sucker of good acoustic stuff, like their first full length as a duo. But I don't like low energy acoustic stuff like William Fitzsimmons.

Have you heard of Superstitions of the Sky, or Rookie of The Year? They were both around in the early 2000's and did the acoustic stuff perfectly.

13. trevorshmevor Sep 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 11, 2016)
    Went into this with super low expectations, despite really enjoying Clouded. Actually pleasantly surprised, I think the production choices and instrumentation are a lot more interesting this time around, really liking a lot of the new elements brought into their sound. It's cool that songs like Break It Down and Just Yesterday definitely could've been on the last record, but they did a great job of avoiding making the same record twice.

Song for song, I think there are more duds here than the debut, and these songs certainly aren't as immediately catchy due to their less-poppy/bubbly nature. Not finding a lot of these vocal melodies super strong in general either. But all in all it's nice to see then not fall back on the whole "acoustic duo" thing as a gimmick, because it's clear they're trying to push the boundaries of what that type of label would normally afford them. I'm sure Aaron Marsh had a lot to do with that as well, haha.

Early favorites are Pull Me Down, Fade, Falling Down, and Brick Wall.

Jusscali likes this.
  14. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

I really like where they went with this album, they really did everything they could with the Clouded sound with the seven re-releases that album had. Really cool stuff, good late night vibes.

15. ....did I miss something? I only rememeber one re-release.

16. Eric

Regular

No. That dude's just trying to make a dumb joke

17. Anyone in/around Charlotte, NC wanna go to the sold out dashboard/this wild life show tonight? I've got a couple guest lists spots I can you get you on. Let me know!

18. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Can't believe this record has been out for almost a year! It hasn't held up as well as Clouded, but I just re-listened again today, and it's still a really solid record.

19. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

This album is truly amazing every time I listen to it.

truelovewaits likes this.