Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

This Is Us (NBC) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by mgiannotti, Sep 20, 2016.

1. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

New show from Dan Fogelman (Crazy, Stupid, Love., Tangled)

Jack and his wife - who is very pregnant with triplets -- have just moved into their new home in Pittsburg. Successful and handsome television actor Kevin is growing increasingly bored with his bachelor lifestyle. Randall -- who was abandoned at a fire station by his father as an infant -- is a stylish New York-based businessman working to raise two daughters with his wife, Beth. These people are among a group -- several of whom share a birthday -- of seemingly random individuals whose lives intertwine in unexpected ways.

Aired tonight, thought it was really good. Hopefully it will fill the void that Parenthood left.

2. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I really enjoyed it. I think we need something like this on television every week. I hope it does well.

3. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Not sure what I think about the show itself yet, but that twist was great.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I loved this. Instantly connected with every character. Teared up a few times.

That twist was beautiful.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  5. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I think the twist is what really sold me on the show. I like the format that this is going to take and all the possibility that comes with it.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  6. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

The characters and writing were both good but that twist...so well done

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  7. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I teared up a few times, especially in Randall's confrontation with his dad. Holy cow. I am definitely interested in where this goes.

Also, I didn't know they could show a nude man butt on broadcast TV.

8. Garrett

It's after 10p, which is the arbitrary time the rules change on how much cussing/certain words and nudity. Holdover from the 90s.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  9. Kingjohn_654

Censorship fascinates me. Haha. This rule sounds like some of my friend's parents growing up that made them come home early saying "Jesus goes to bed at eleven" haha

10. Garrett

This is bringing to mind that time that one show in the nineties (NYPD Blue, maybe?) was going to say shit for the first time on primetime television, so South Park made an episode where they said it like 176 times. Or when an episode of ER had a nipple blurred in a surgery scene following the backlash against Janet Jackson's halftime show.

11. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

NYPD Blue did it all the time in it's twilight years.

12. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Instant love for this show. That twist was something else.

I think this show gets a following a la Parenthood.

13. Kingjohn_654

Pilots are never this good. I'm psyched for the next episode.

Chris Yates likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Man, this blew me away. Best pilot I've seen in a loooonnnngg time.

ramomcferno and Chris Yates like this.
  15. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

Did you watch Atlanta

16. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

The pilot was so good and it definitely makes me want to keep watching.

17. Miss Heartcore

Let's build something Together Prestigious

As soon as the firefighter (??) lit the cigarette I felt like I landed in a climax of an m night shamalamadingding movie i started screaming. I want to re-watch all the hints that I missed.

18. Davjs

Trusted

So the first ep was good and the twist at the end was awesome. It seemed like it could just be a short film or something, what is the show going to be about though?

19. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I enjoyed it.

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Garrett L. likes this.
  21. Garrett

Mandy Moore is incredible.

22. joe727

A DILAPIDATED BOAT! Prestigious

Was really surprised by this. The promos made it seem so sappy and cheesy, but this is so good.

Also this is doing pretty good in the ratings and is most likely going to be the top rated premiering fall show on the big 4 networks.

23. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Is Mandy Moore in the second episode? Are they going to keep that weird timeline story going?

24. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Was not interested in this AT ALL, but I watched the pilot based on the praise in this thread. Almost turned it off 20 minutes in when the Keanu Reeves-esque father-to-be gave the speech about the triplets, but I stuck with it and actually kind of liked it.

That being said, it was kind of sappy and I didn't find the "twist" to be all that surprising. Will probably watch the second episode tonight and see if I want to keep going.

25. Garrett

Yes and yes.