Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thirteen Lives (Ron Howard, July 29, 2022) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Halitosis Jones, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Halitosis Jones Jan 5, 2022
    (Last edited: Jul 26, 2022)
    Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

Directed by Ron Howard. Written by William Nicholson (Gladiator, Les Miserables).

Viggo Mortensen, Colin Farrell, and Joel Edgerton starring as Richard Stanton, John Volanthen, and Dr. Richard Harris respectively.

Limited theatrical release 7/29 and will release on Amazon Prime Video on 8/5.

2. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

I've watched several documentaries about this story the past few days and i'll tell you i'm excited for this.

Ron Howard is probably the perfect director to pick for this movie. This is a story about very smart experienced people collaborating with others to solve an near impossible complex feat that has never been done before, oftentimes improvising along the way in order to save lives. I have a feeling this is going to feel like a spiritual sequel to Apollo 13 in many ways..

3. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

The Rescue was incredible, I'll certainly check this out.

4. Morrissey

Trusted

Can't be worse than Hillbilly Elegy.

5. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Howard's filmography is so wild. A couple movies I absolutely love, several 6-7/10s, and then just a bunch of garbage.

coleslawed and Halitosis Jones like this.
  6. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I wonder if they make it out of the cave

Ron Howard: They did

coleslawed likes this.
  7. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

I realized just how few Howard films i've seen. Need to do a binge soon. I can't believe i've never seen Splash.

Obviously Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind, and Frost/Nixon are the ones that get the most praise; as far as his early stuff goes I have a soft spot for Willow and Cocoon.

8. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Rush is perfect, honestly I think it's his best.

9. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Just watched this based off your post.... Jesus, what a roller coaster of emotions that was. So good.

Halitosis Jones likes this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

11. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Looks good

12. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

Looks fantastic. Did not expect Viggo to look so much like Stanton in this.

Also they nailed the feel. This looks just like The Rescue.

13. Halitosis Jones Jul 26, 2022
    (Last edited: Aug 4, 2022)
    Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

Excited to watch this and Prey on the same day.

stayillogical likes this.
  14. Halitosis Jones Aug 4, 2022
    Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

Amazon apparently releases at GMT so this is already up. About halfway through this and i can already tell this is Howard's best in almost a decade. I've never seen Rush, but this the best of his i've seen since Frost/Nixon at least.

This is another movie that probably should not have been direct to streaming. Would have worked way better on the big screen. The underwater cinematography is fantastic. Really great work from the Thai DP making his hollywood debut.

15. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Me too. I'm waiting to watch both with a group of friends on Sunday. I feel like they probably deserve a gathering rather than a solo watch on the mobile phone.

Halitosis Jones likes this.
  16. Halitosis Jones Aug 4, 2022
    Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

In awe of how incredibly respectful this is of the Thai people involved in the rescue and Thai culture. This could have easily turned into a typical "white guys save the day" story, but they really seem like they went out of way to avoid that.

17. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

Little dense there towards the latter half but yeah really great movie. Definitely will give this a 2nd watch this week.

I kind of want to watch Apollo 13 now to confirm my suspicion that this has similar vibes.

18. Halitosis Jones Aug 5, 2022
    (Last edited: Aug 5, 2022)
    Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

Also Ferrell and Edgerton are fine in this, but Viggo knocks it out of the park. I've watched The Rescue a few times and he pretty much became Richard Stanton.

I do wish they didn't leave out Stanton's Thai girlfriend who coincidentally was from the same town this all happened in and who was with him on-site supporting him the entire time, would have added a lot more depth to his depiction.

Also wish that Edgerton as Dr. Harris was fleshed out a little bit more. Kind of a mistake to introduce him in the second half where everything was already getting very dense and condensed for time.

Brent likes this.
  19. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Watched this today and enjoyed it, didn’t know anything about the specifics of this rescue, what a wild story. Movie was a little long, really my only complaint.

20. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

You should check out the doc The Rescue on Disney+, if not just to see how close to reality they got

Brent and VanMastaIteHab like this.
  21. Halitosis Jones Aug 8, 2022
    (Last edited: Aug 8, 2022)
    Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

Sucks that this initially got delayed because MGM decided they wanted an Oscar season theatrical release when this got the best test screening results in studio history, Amazon buys MGM then decides to randomly release direct to Prime in late summer with barely any marketing, and now it's getting almost no attention.

22. 333 GANG

ACAB

Just finished it. Aside from maybe being a little long like some have said, I thought it was excellent

23. who plays elon in this?

24. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

I've watched this and a couple docs on this and all of them thankfully ignore Elon's dumbass submarine thing that would have never worked in that cave.

25. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

This was excellent