Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Third Eye Blind Band • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Snewt, Mar 8, 2016.

1. MrGrumlee

Apparently they just finished it the other night.

Mr. Serotonin and bd007h like this.
  2. razorburn

Trusted

Saw them in London last night. Stephan said the EP will be released in two weeks.

irthesteve likes this.
  3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

God dammit, haha. He said August. Should've known it'd be late.

bd007h and MrGrumlee like this.
  4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Considering this is Stephen, we'll be lucky to get this in the current decade. I'm not too worried if it gets delayed from August to September.

bd007h likes this.
  5. Mr. Serotonin

Haha, there just wasn't a reason to even announce it this time unless it was done.

bd007h likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

Ha, well yeah. But I've come to expect this from Stephen. How long did Ursa Major have a title before we finally heard it? How many times did he say their fifth album was "coming soon"? I think he just can't help himself.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  7. Mr. Serotonin

truuueeee.

8. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Very true. I wasn't even mad when Ursa Minor never came to fruition, because he sounded a little tired and out of ideas by the end of Ursa Major.

bd007h likes this.
  9. Mr. Serotonin

I for one, loved Ursa Major haha.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

I also loved Ursa Major, but I'm okay that they took their time to do something else. He seemed really happy and rejuvenated at the Dopamine shows last year.

11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Ursa is so good

Mr. Serotonin and trevorshmevor like this.
  12. vidiviciveni

Trusted

It's got good tracks - "Bonfire", "Sharp Knife" and "Dao of St. Paul" are among their best. And any Third Eye Blind album after 6 years is a treat.

Ending with "Carnival Barker" was not a great idea, and a lot of the tracks tend to run together - if you play "About To Break", "Why Can't You Be" and "Monotov's Private Opera" in a row, you might think it was one long mediocre song.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  13. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

o.g. 7 minute carnival barker would've been a great closer

also "why can't you be" is my favorite sj lyric ever

bd007h and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  14. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Monotov is top 3 for me, the ending trio minus Carnival is perfect

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  15. Craig Manning

"Water Landing" is a top five Third Eye Blind song.

16. vidiviciveni

Trusted

What is this? I've never heard it.

Disagree hard. If you're looking for a perfect trio to close, you're thinking of the self-titled album. ;)

Fair enough. It's a little dull musically for me but lyrically it really is fantastic.

I think my only real beef with Ursa Major is that Stephen decided to record a lot more on acoustic guitar than he ever did on their first three albums, and he's not nearly a creative enough player to pull it off - I found the songs came off too mellow and disinteresting. When he writes creatively around the acoustic guitar, as on "Wake For Young Souls", "Bonfire", "Say It" or "All The Souls", he nails it.

Fox83 likes this.
  17. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

re: "water landing" being a top five 3eb song: that is true

Craig Manning likes this.
  18. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

the quality sucks hard but

19. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

this isn't the official story or anything but i'm guessing sj wanted to write actual lyrics for the full "carnival barker" and put it on ursa minor, which obv never happened. it rules as an instrumental too though

20. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Wow, that is exponentially more interesting than the album version.

I don't understand the decisions they make sometimes - Red Summer Sun is another track they did a disservice to by cutting it short, that outro is ridic.

21. Mr. Serotonin Aug 26, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 7, 2016)
    Mr. Serotonin

Bonfire is my fucking ring tone. No one even has ringtones anymore, but I do...cause I fucking love that song.

irthesteve likes this.
  22. Mr. Serotonin

When I was having writers block, I thought about writing lyrics/vocal melody to the Carnival Barker instrumental, and then not telling my bandmates at all just to see what the music they came up with sounded like around it.

23. Fox83

Trusted

Really looking forward to the new EP, even if Cop vs. Phone Girl wasn't really my thing.

24. Mr. Serotonin

"Sherri is a stoner" sounds so great

vidiviciveni and Fox83 like this.
  25. Fox83

Trusted

I've been holding off on checking out the live/bootleg or whatever. After Ursa, I realize that I get expectations for their songs after hearing them live, and then I nitpick the studio versions.

And, for what it's worth, Cop vs. Phone Girl is really catchy melodically - maybe their catchiest song in a decade. Lyrically though...I don't know. It's not like I have a problem with the message. I just feel like it's recapping a news story that I know well. I'd rather hear lyrics that leave it to more interpretation rather than applying it to a true story/event at one moment in time. That's just me though. Jumper, for instance was great because of the message and it was inspired by Jenkin's experiences, but he used that inspiration and left listeners some room to apply it to whatever they experienced in life. It doesn't feel timestamped. It's timeless in a way. Just my two cents. I'm sure I'm in the minority.