Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Third Eye Blind Band • Page 49

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Snewt, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

goddamn "Rites of Passage" and "Say It" are so fucking good

2. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

@ me correctly next time you coward

Mr. Serotonin and SlappinCups like this.
  3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

WHITE. HOU SES

damnit I shouldn’t of watched that, it’s stuck in my head

4. Mr. Serotonin

What a weird hook. I kinda like it though

vidiviciveni and Larry David like this.
  5. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

I have never tried to get into this band. Obviously I've heard their singles but I just bought a ticket to their tour with JEW. Any recommendations as to what I should dive into first?

6. SlappinCups

Hurley apologist Prestigious

I'd start with their first album (Self-Titled) and go forward from there!

7. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Man this is the most 90s thing I've heard in years. Not a bad thing, got me feeling all sorts of nostalgic lmao

8. Mr. Serotonin

You have like 100 awesome songs to go

9. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

oh god dammit i missed out on an OotV repress??!!

10. Mr. Serotonin

ha, you idiot

Larry David and SlappinCups like this.
  11. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Got my OOTV today and fuck it’s gorgeous

12. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Its kinda funny/great to me that this band still has a strong following, strong scene presence and strong output. Think of all their contemporaries from 97-99 - Matchbox 20, Three Doors Down, Semisonic, Eve 6 - seemingly every other band is struggling to hold onto relevancy from songs they put out 20 years ago, whereas 3EB is still writing great music and selling out huge tours. I wonder how much the lineup changes have had to do with this; they just seem like a younger band than they are.

bd007h, SlappinCups and GEM37 like this.
  13. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I mean, I’m pretty sure Stephan is the oldest member of the band by a pretty wide margin. I don’t know if they seem like a younger band when like 4/5ths of them actually are. And again, I’m pretty sure Stephan’s designed it as such.

14. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Brad is OG

So 3/5ths. But ya I don't disagree

bd007h likes this.
  15. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

they still play like a young band too. Stephan sounds amazing and has a lot of energy

bd007h likes this.
  16. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Just popping in to say that matchbox 20 has no problem filling stadiums when they tour

17. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Yeah, Matchbox 20 are absolutely not struggling. They just don’t tour as much.

Also, 3EB’s continued popularity is absolutely due to the songs they wrote 20 years ago. They did a 20-year full-album tour!

beachdude, bd007h and irthesteve like this.
  18. GEM37

She haunts the roads

And they don’t really write and release new material all that often!

But I do think it’s really interesting that they are continuing to do as well as they do. I have plenty of experiences where I’ve told folks that they’re one of my favorite bands and that I’m going to see them live, and then receive a shocked laugh and ‘I can’t believe they’re still a band’ in reply.

Like, I think the public perception of 3EB is as a band that’s over the hill/one-hit-wonder, and yet they still receive very high billing on festivals and sell arena tours on their own, well before they even did the ST tour. I don’t know if that means the nostalgia associated with them is that strong, or if they have a large and passionate fanbase that’s just really quiet?

19. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

Nostalgia is a very powerful thing

20. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

the thing is i’ve been to two 3eb shows and neither had a nostalgia crowd. at the 2015 show there were teenage girls in the row in front of me who knew the lyrics to dopamine songs the week after it came out

bd007h, Rowan5215, dadbolt and 3 others like this.
  21. Craig Manning

The self-titled show was the most "nostalgia crowd" show I've ever seen. In general, the audiences at the shows I've been to have been visibly restless and sometimes downright rude during newer material. This is the curse of every 90s band I've seen, and they definitely aren't immune to it.

22. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

it's weird i did not get that vibe from jones beach. but jones beach is always a weird crowd

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  23. DesolateEarth

Birb

24. Craig Manning

I went to a show at the end of 2015, and the entire crowd talked through "Blade" and a few of the other Dopamine songs. It was a bummer, because I really liked that album and was looking forward to those songs.

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I only saw Third Eye Blind at a college show

I think any 90s band draws a nostalgia crowd at this point but true of any 60s 70s or 80s band too