Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Third Eye Blind Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Snewt, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

Third Eye Blind is an American rock band formed in San Francisco in 1993. The songwriting duo of Stephan Jenkins and Kevin Cadogan signed the band's first major label recording contract with Elektra Records in 1996, which was later reported as the largest publishing deal ever for an unsigned artist. The band released their self-titled album, Third Eye Blind, in 1999. Shortly after the release of the band's second album in 1999, Blue, with the same line-up, Cadogan was released from the band under controversial circumstances.

The band released Out of the Vein in 2003 and Ursa Major in 2009, with only Jenkins and Hargreaves as the remaining core members. The band's current iteration, including Kryz Reid (lead guitar), Alex Kopp (keyboards), and Alex LeCavalier (bass guitar), recorded the band's fifth studio album, Dopamine, which was released in 2015.

2. Snewt

Motorcycle Drive By to God of Wine is one of the all-time greatest one-two punches to close out an album.

Plus these guys are still killing it. Dopamine was one of my favorite albums of last year.

3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

God those two songs.

They know how to close and open albums

bd007h likes this.
  4. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

That whole self titled record is special, as is Out of the Vein.

bd007h likes this.
  5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Blue will forever be my favorite full album of theirs, but there was a time that OOTV was my favorite, and s/t is insane, Ursa is extremely underrrated as well, which bums me out

stnewton likes this.
  6. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Only ever listened to Blue and S/T

7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

If you like them at all, dive into the next two records at some point. More than a few absolute gems on there

DeviantRogue likes this.
  8. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Yeah I will

9. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

My band mates and I constantly try to pick a favourite album. We pick different ones every time. Such a strong discography.

bd007h likes this.
  10. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

i've been all about god of wine lately

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  11. Mr. Serotonin

"And the siren's song that is your madness
    Holds a truth I can't erase
    All alone on your face
    Every glamorous sunrise
    Throws the planets out of line
    A star sign out of whack, a fraudulent zodiac
    And the God of Wine is crouched down in my room
    You let me down, I said it, now I'm going down
    And you're not even around
    And I said no no no..."

That song is amazing.

LTF, bd007h and Zac Djamoos like this.
  12. I don't think I've heard a full album of theirs besides the self-titled, but that one is so good.

13. Mr. Serotonin

Dudddeee....get on it. I almost jealous that you get to listen to them for the first time. Almost.

14. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

"Motorcycle Drive By" is just edged out by "Blinded (When I See You)" for my favorite. I fucking love Out Of The Vein. The opening trio is so strong.

Mr. Serotonin, bd007h and Snewt like this.
  15. Mr. Serotonin

That's pretty much how I feel. Those 2 are neck and neck.

I've always wanted "I'm still staring down the sun" tattooed on me, but I'm a little hesitant about getting lyrics. :teethsmile:

Meerkat likes this.
  16. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

@Mr. Serotonin That song just really nails that feeling of seeing someone you've lost touch with that once meant something to you. Gonna have to spin OOTV today at some point now

Craig Manning and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  17. Mr. Serotonin

@Meerkat I agree man, and that bridge when the drums just go off.:hearteyes: Pure ecstasy.

Meerkat likes this.
  18. Snewt

I'm going to see them in a relatively small venue (~1000) on Friday and I am extremely pumped about it. Looking forward to seeing them play some songs off Dopamine now that it's been out for a while and I can sing along.

19. Mr. Serotonin

@stnewton they killed it when I saw them at house of blues in Orlando a year or two ago. They've still got it!

stnewton likes this.
  20. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I don't currently have the feeling of being now out of touch with a former girlfriend or anything, but that song makes me understand it and takes me back to a time when I had that feeling previously to some extent. Especially the opening lyrics.

"Just an old friend coming over now to visit you and that's what I've become". Damn.

21. Mr. Serotonin

Jenkins always says he wished he hadn't if released the song like that. He wanted to change some stuff after the fact. I wonder what exactly he wanted to do with it, cause I love it how it is.

22. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I feel like this band has always been great at capturing these microcosmic stories and details that are just super wistful and devastating.

Mr. Serotonin and Supernova like this.
  23. Mr. Serotonin

Dude...I know these are pretty much considered "hits", but "deep inside of you" and "how's it gonna be" are perfect examples of that

Craig Manning likes this.
  24. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I think Ursa Major is the only record of theirs that didn't hit with me the first time I ran through it. That one took more work, but man, is their discography really good. Out Of the Vein definitely is on my top 15 list of the past 15 years.

25. Mr. Serotonin

I like the entire record now, but the four songs that immediately grabbed me on Ursa Major were "Bonfire", "Sharp Knife", "Water Landing", and "Dao of St. Paul". Those songs are all brilliant.