Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Third Eye Blind - Screamer (October 18, 2019) Album • Page 15

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SlappinCups, Jul 24, 2019.

1. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

So weird that I’ve had this since the leak and I just want to keep listening to this. Second half has been growing on me.

2. Maverick Oct 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 19, 2019)
    Maverick

Trusted

Listened to this once last night. Will def be in my rotation, 3eb albums tend to be growers and I can see myself enjoying this a lot more once I get familiar with it.

Strangely Tropic Scorpio did not grab my attention as I got distracted listening to Ways then all of a sudden I was already on Walk Like Kings. I guess when people say it was a banger I was expecting something more like Company of Strangers, THAT would get my attention.

The track that stood out to me the most was Got So High cause whoa to those gradual tempo changes.

As for 2xtigers.. all I could think of is Stephan trying to be Lil Wayne. Its not awful but I’m not so sure it works..

bd007h and SpookinCups like this.
  3. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Pitchfork hardly ever makes any sense to me. And they still refuse to acknowledge Meg Myers' existence haha

irthesteve and SpookinCups like this.
  4. radiodead

Trusted

And Evan has been praising it on twitter as well.

5. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I just love the subtle pop tones on this album. It works so well.

SpookinCups likes this.
  6. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Walk like Kings...I think I enjoyed it for the first time ever yesterday

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  7. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Lol they are not subtle.

radiodead and vidiviciveni like this.
  8. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Second half has better tracks than I admitted before, and the first half is damn strong

I loved that Pitchfork review, true words

People who can be swayed from listening to an album because a drummer who toured with them says he’s creepy and then doesn’t back it up relevantly can legit kick rocks. And I’m an equally die hard JEW fan

I’ve maintained for a long time that Stephan is a douche but there’s a huge difference between being a douche and being concretely accused of wrong behaviour, and way too many users here truly cannot seem to tell the difference

Until then I rock out

9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I still struggle with stories I hear about SJ. It’s not that I’m discrediting people who share the stories or not believing them. I just struggle hearing that stuff because I’ve met him a few times and each time was pleasant and normal. We didn’t talk music once. It’s always weird when you have good experiences with others then hear others have the opposite.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  10. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with my reaction to what Zach implied about Stephan, and it‘s something I am struggling with in a real way because I’m a big fan of 3EB and was very excited for new music. It’s my own dilemma to reckon with, and I don’t fault ANYBODY for listening to this band. I do think to suggest Zach should have backed up his criticism is wrong, though; he himself said some of the stories are not his to share.

11. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I also had a pleasant exchange with him, but everyone else that met him and the band that same night loathed them. They did make me drive around on like a Saturday afternoon trying to find some book about sharks, which I thought was funny but also shitty.

12. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Haha what?! Why a book about sharks?

13. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

yeah imagine thinking fans of this band don't have the right to side eye the singer with a 20+ year history of being a massive douche who was in a relationship with a woman 16 years younger than him. definitely let's ignore all that and pretend he's fine.

Carrow likes this.
  14. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Legit question, why do people get hung up on age when two adults are dating? Vanessa Carlton was 22 years old, to suggest she shouldn’t be dating a guy 16 years her senior solely because of age difference is not only intrusive and none of our business, it completely removes her agency from the situation.

15. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I have no idea! It was part of their rider when they played at my school. I didn’t try very hard; I remember driving around getting things they had requested and thinking to myself, “uh I’m not gonna find this fucking book.” And I didn’t. I honestly don’t remember if I actually even tried, haha.

AlwaysEvolving21 and SpookinCups like this.
  16. radiodead Oct 19, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 19, 2019)
    radiodead

Trusted

If “Ways” isn’t a hit we riot.

This album is really damn good. I think I really realized it during “Got So High” when it slows down. Just a great choice, so catchy. They’re really going for it. None of this feels forced. Just an effortlessly catchy record imo. He has a natural gift for a hook.

Quite a few of these songs sound like instant 3EB classics, right into the canon. “Take Me On” is the crown jewel imo.

17. radiodead

Trusted

The run from “Turn Me On” to “Light it Up” is arguably the strongest run of songs they’ve put out since???? Blue opening run?

18. vidiviciveni

Trusted

^^ no way for me. First 6 on Out of the Vein, first 4 on Ursa Major are all better but that’s just to my ears

Jusscali likes this.
  19. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I honestly don't get that either

vidiviciveni likes this.
  20. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I think this album, blue, and dopamine have especially brilliant production. Does anyone know who produced Screamer?

jorbjorb and SlappinCups like this.
  21. It'saDoneDeal

Vibing

Fun listen in most respects, but I feel this is definitely their least impressive effort, which isn't too surprising given 20+ years into it and god knows how many lineup changes. Lyrically fell flat too, which is such a bummer because Jenkins is one of my favorite lyricists.

Ways is so damn catchy tho. So bouncy and fun, probably played it 10 times in a row before I moved on. The guitar in The Kids is kind of different for them, almost garage rock-ish. Really great, but I wish there was more of that the rest of the record. Walk Like Kings sounds twice as good in the context of the album. Love the bass run leading up to the chorus, but I think the chorus is where the song hits a little flat. Tropic Scorpio is probably the most "classic" 3EB of these tracks, my favorite subject to change. Turn Me On and Who I Am are solid 3EB tracks. 2x Tigers? Yeah... not feeling it. Still undecided on Got So High since I'd only heard the prior live version years ago that was a completely different song. Take A Side doesn't do much for me, and they usually nail the close. I'll definitely be vibing on this record more though.

vidiviciveni likes this.
  22. SlappinCups

Hurley apologist Prestigious

Yeah, kinda weird we can't find anything on that anywhere. I think the new guy in the band (Colin?) did some, Stephan usually does some too, but I thought I saw stuff online about them working with a few different ones.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  23. Maverick

Trusted

I can't believe that listening to the album made me like Walk Like Kings. Like, as a pre-released single I'm shaking my head nah not feeling this and then here it is after Tropic Scorpio and I'm nodding my head yeah I can vibe to this like what

24. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Turn Me On still blows me away.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  25. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

My exact experience lol