Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thief Club - Just Give Up (4/29/16) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SmithBerryCrunch, Apr 30, 2016.

1. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Thief Club just released their new album (some new songs and old songs, but all in one place now). I can't get enough of the acoustic version of Fragile Eyes which features guest vocals from Nick's sister (who the song is about).

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

A look at the tracklist, this seems like My Heavy plus 6 more songs and the acoustic track? Seems odd

3. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Nick knows how to write catchy stuff, love his stuff

4. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

A small record label tied to Victory wanted to put out the Just Give Up EP, but as they were talking they realized the release of My Heavy was low key and confusing. Therefore, they decided to release Just Give Up as an album with every Thief Club song on it.

5. irthesteve

Very interesting. So were the remainder released as an EP ever? Or just all new to this?

6. Michael Schmidt

The people who funded the Just Give Up EP have had the digital tracks, less the Jealous cover for over a year. The physical version got delayed because of the label shopping. During that time he decided to do the Jealous cover while making the HTL acoustic EP. And My Heavy has had three or four different releases/pressings. It just made sense to streamline everything and introduce one album to everyone. Just buy that one album with 16 songs for $10-$12 bucks.

7. irthesteve

So complicated, but thank you for the help haha

8. Michael Schmidt

No problem. It makes sense to me knowing the situation, but Nick was just putting stuff out on the fly during downtime with no sort of label guiding him. Then a Japanese label approached him about putting the first batch of songs out overseas. That's how My Heavy came to fruition.

While putting that together, he did a small run for the states. Toured some later acoustically, so he did a new batch of My Heavy with an extra song he made when his grandpa died. So there are at a minimum 3 or 4 versions of My Heavy and all are slightly different.

Then he did the Just Give Up EP. The proper release got delayed and he made a new cover. Just put it all together and let people get completely caught up on one album haha.

9. irthesteve

I'm gonna run through the whole new album at some point, seems like the best possible answer

10. Michael Schmidt

Haha that's the smart move. It's every TC song made. To make it easier, Nick removed the My Heavy release from Spotify and Apple Music. The only thing you'll find is Just Give Up going forward. It's very good stuff if you are a HTL and Nick fan. If you find it too similar to HTL let me know. I can explain that as well haha.

11. irthesteve

I've listened to the 9-song version of My Heavy more than a few times and really dug it, so even having a bit new to me is pretty awesome

12. Michael Schmidt

Oh, yeah for sure! If you heard My Heavy then you're good. You know what to expect. Fun fact, Collin from HTL was supposed to be on Newark Mansions to be released on My Heavy, but it never worked out. I think that is why the song is so short because it's missing some expected vocals. As it unfolded, they got Collin in for a HTL song instead.