Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

They Shall Not Grow Old (Peter Jackson 2018) • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dog with a Blog, Nov 14, 2018.

1. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Hm, maybe I'll refund my ticket and wait until January for a better theater and 3D.

2. BackyardHero11

Trusted

it's a shame this isn't eligible for any awards, but I hope it gets all the push it deserves.

3. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

After having a few beers I bought a ticket for a noon showing next Thursday. Guess I'm taking another day off of work. Oops!

4. Dog with a Blog

How did you like it ?

5. BackyardHero11

Trusted

i absolutely loved this. such an impressive feat in film, but also just as a film was so well done. very little music, the soundtrack is largely the voices of those who were there. the colorizing was great. the 3d was insanely effective and not gimmicky. after the screening there was a half hour featurette with Peter Jackson showing how they made it all possible. super interesting.

Brother Beck and Dog with a Blog like this.
  6. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Sorry for the delay!
    Echoing everyone else, but it was superb. No 3D showings near me, but I didn't mind.
    Tough to watch at times, given the material of course. But it was so well done. I'm still thinking about it and I saw it four days ago.
    If it gets a wider release near me, I will 100% see it again in theaters.

7. BackyardHero11

Trusted

I'm the same way. told all my friends that if it comes back out around us they gotta come see it again with me

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  8. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

This is gonna be available for me to see in about a week and a half. Hope I can see it

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  9. riotspray Jan 17, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 18, 2019)
    riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

The colorization/restoration of this footage is truly incredible. It's hard to believe it's even possible to make footage from pre-1920 looks this good.

Brother Beck and coleslawed like this.
  10. BackyardHero11

Trusted

I'm seeing some screenings for it on Monday the 21st. so for anyone who missed it last time around, check out Fathom Events | They Shall Not Grow Old - I'm gathering a group of friends who missed it for my 2nd viewing

11. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

Girlfriend surprised me with tickets for Monday. Really looking forward to seeing this.

12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This goes wide(r) this weekend.

JRGComedy likes this.
  13. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I really don't like 3D movies, but is there any special reason I should see this in 3D?

14. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I don't think it's essential, but it really does a great job enhancing the depth of the trenches and the fields.

15. Dog with a Blog

I don’t like 3D and I found it to be subtle enough to not be distracting while still feeling purposeful and added a sense of realness and depth. Imo it is the way to see it

16. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Alright, I'll make an exception this time! Thanks. So stoked to finally be able to see it.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  17. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Finally did get to see this! The 3D was incredible and I thought the making-of doc after the film was as interesting as the film itself.

Brother Beck likes this.
  18. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

My father and I just went and caught this in theaters finally. We had been meaning to see it for a while and after tomorrow I couldn't find showtimes at the theater I was checking so I think it was finishing up its run. Movie was absolutely incredible. Extremely well done. Handful of moments that literally took my breath away. Learned quite a few things I hadn't known before, like that the artillery shells were a fairly bright yellowish color, and the zig-zag pattern of the trenches as seen from above.

As others have said, the making-of that played after the film itself was very interesting as well.

Zilla and JRGComedy like this.
  19. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Watched this on a plane while pretty jetlagged, so it was far from the ideal viewing experience. Regardless, this was still extremely powerful. The colorization of the trenches really brought everything to life. The footage of German English soldiers goofing around with each was both heartwarming and extremely heartbreaking at the same time. So many (extremely young) lives wasted. I'd love to see this again on a bigger screen.

Brother Beck and BackyardHero11 like this.