Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

There’s an Online Harassment Campaign Underway Against People Advocating for Diversity in...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Rachael Krishna, writing for Buzzfeed:

An online harassment campaign and culture war called #Comicsgate is underway against people pushing to diversify the comic book industry, with trolls and their influential enablers targeting those calling for increased representation for women, different races, and the LGBT community.

Several comics superfans and creators are calling it a dark evolution of the Gamergate controversy that targeted women participating in video game culture with abuse.

2. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Michael Bennett of the NFL has a company called Imagination Agency that tackles this problem head on. There's not a lot of representation of characters of color in Disney movies, toys, or other types of media that we consume. When a 6 yr. old black child goes to the store, or the movies, and doesn't see anyone represented that looks like him/her, how are they supposed to imagine their life and what is possible? They deserve to grow up looking at characters doing amazing things that look the same. My kids are all white, blue eyed, and blonde hair...this is something they will never have to worry about. Characters should portray every walk of life, how about a gay batman? black Spider-Man (in the main stream)? a female Hulk? Imagination should be a massive part of every child's life, but how are they to have hopes and dreams beyond what others think possible if none of the characters they look up to are personally relatable?

Part of what Michael Bennett wants to do, is to empower young black people to become content creators. So many of these outlets have white people in them, because they are creating what they know, and most creators are white. The last couple years, there's been some successes, Blackness, Black Panther, and Coco come to mind. When people talk about white privilege, those opposed to the thought don't consider the advantages they already have, or what it means to others. This is an example of that, and I am hopeful that we continue to recognize where there is oppression, bias, and opportunity to improve.

3. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

I recently started managing advertisement for a comic book company, and pretty much the most interesting development in graphic novels over the past decade (?) is just how diverse the characters and stories have been. Literally can't imagine being against that.

4. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Unfortunately some terrible people really don't like having their symbols of perceived superiority taken away from them. And then there are just those that love to be trolls and fight the bad fight.

5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

From my experience at comic book shops, Miles as Spider-Man and She-Hulk are pretty mainstream. They’re just not in any movies..yet.

6. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Ethan Van Sciver is a shitty person and that has been true for a long time.

Tim and Colby Searcy like this.
  7. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

I knew about Miles, but never heard of a She Hulk...good to know!

xapplexpiex likes this.