Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The World Is... // Formlessness (August 20, 2016) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Horrorca, Jul 14, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I think that really makes it for me. Like, Chris Z was pretty much the first time I heard a POC do that kind of thing on an indie rock record (or whatever) and it wasn't like I had never thought about it before but it left me floored in a way that I didn't consider. Like it just never occurred to me I wanted someone who looked like me to be talking about their life in this way that was previously pretty hit or miss, in this way that elevated their emotions to heights as important as their peers. Obvi I get why the spoken word can turn people off, it's not for everyone and it is what it is, but that being said I think the actual sound of it all is also really cool.

KidLightning likes this.
  2. Horrorca

Trusted

I have no problems with spoken word

I have a problem with the partiuclar "poems" being recited on that record

it's cool you liked it tho

3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Between Bodies is horrid and I pretend like it didn't exist

It's ridiculously cheesy

Joel likes this.
  4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

the content of the poems or the execution of them?

from a lyrics standpoint, sure, maybe if it was any other white dude I would agree. The lyrics are pretty much lacking subtlety and tact, so I see that. But just from a cultural standpoint I love that it exists, bc it's not normal to reveal what you're feeling in any way that isn't physical or steeped in machismo in Afro Latino cultures. So I see it a little differently but I don't think that invalidates yr feelings on it or anything. What about the actual music of it? that a miss for you too?

5. Horrorca

Trusted

content and execution are unbelievabley cheesy - but if the "poems" were any good, I could probably get behind a lame delivery

6. cwhit

the spoken word makes it hard for me to even pay attention to the music lol

7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

that's fair enough, I can't really argue with subjective taste, haha. I think there's one song that borders on too cheesy for me but even that one i like a lot (lioness)
    i suppose that's the point of spoken word. a lot of it reminds me of sonic youth's ambient noise stuff in a good way, but i like it because it frames a lot of the content nicely which you don't like so maybe there's nothing here for you lol

8. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

If it was any other band doing this kind of release I'd be extremely cynical about it, but as it stands I'm stoked to hear how they revisit/reinterpret these songs.

9. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I think it's a cool idea, I'd listen to this from other bands

10. cwhit

I'd only listen if the band has changed as a form so much that it would actually sound different

11. Collins

Trusted

I feel bad for people who wrote off between bodies and didn't listen to the A Note From The Author B-side they put out

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  12. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

fuck the haters, i dug between bodies. Autononsorialist is my jam.

collin512 and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  13. Collins

Trusted

autotonsortionalist is the shit

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  14. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

What is this?

15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

TWIABP has had people come and go a lot since their inception, and as a result sometimes the way they play things live has evolved and grown with those line up changes. They're rerecording their first EP with their currently solidified line up to show the changes and growth and putting the original on the other side of the vinyl release. Unless your question was pertaining to something else, then oops haha

16. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Oh dang a re recorded ep? I thought it was just a re release until I read this thread.

17. cwhit

18. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

This will be interesting to hear, here we go

teebs41 likes this.
  19. cwhit

Jordan from posture sings in Walnut Street

teebs41 likes this.
  20. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Love these rerecordings.

21. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

This sounds great, the new Walnut Street and Volcano Dance are fantastic.

22. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

Gordon Paul rules so much and Walnut Street is perfect

23. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

shitty greg is on this!

24. cwhit

This is very good

25. Horrorca

Trusted

sweet, will listen tomorrow!