Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The World Is A Beautiful Place... - Always Foreign (September 29, 2017) Album • Page 36

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Jul 31, 2017.

1. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

To The Janitor To The King is what got me into this band. gutted about this.

Sybil, Larry David and Rowan5215 like this.
  2. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

heartbroken from this, Getting Sodas is an even harder listen now

3. drewinseries

Drew

Saw them in a basement in New Hampshire with Algernon and Deer Leap back before the Deer Leap split when he was the singer, I didn't get into any of their stuff really past him as the main vocalist.

These lyrics from Beverly Wyatt always got me.

"there should be a scar from the hours we've wasted at work
    why should living be something we earn?
    there should be a mark from the launch when we outgrew this earth
    this ship keeps us safe until we return."

Sybil likes this.
  4. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Revisiting this tonight, and I think it’s better than I gave it credit for. Might be their most consistent LP, but it doesn’t have the highs of the other two. Marine tigers until the end is a really beautiful run

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  5. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Watching Minding the Gap and one of the dudes in it is wearing the The World Is A Beautiful Cat... shirt.

6. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

coleslawed and Leftandleaving like this.
  7. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Hey all, I'm currently going through some of the stuff I missed this decade and this band is definitely on the list. Not sure if the name turned me off, more likely I just got stuck into some other records and then decided these guys required some deep listens I didn't have time for. But I'm listening to Whenever If Ever now and really liking it, especially January 10th. I'm going to listen through the discography and will come up with my own favourite tracks. But what are considered their best/signature tunes?

EDIT -- Quickly want to add that Wendover has put a huge smile on my face as a huge Modest Mouse fan.

8. Sybil

Regular

The tracks you're mentioning ("Wendover") and "January 10th" are from Harmlessness (the album after "Whenever, if Ever").

9. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

So they are.. this is how uninitiated I am. In fairness those album covers are very similar! Guess I'll start with that album then.

10. Leftandleaving

Their half of their split with deer leap is their best work imo. They had a different vocalist prior to harmlessness though who can be a little offputting, so keep that in mind

I Am Mick and swboyd like this.
  11. matthaber

Honestly, this is a band i think most famous for their albums more so than any singles. Their albums all work as amazing pieces together with every song flowing into each other. Id say their split with deer leep + harmlessness are their most famous? Hard to say though tbh.

I Will Be Okay. Everything.
    From the Crow's Nest
    Victem Kin Seek Suit
    Eyjafjallajokull Dance
    January 10th
    I can be Afraid of Anything
    Heartbeat in the brain
    picture of a tree
    Getting Sodas

are all songs i think can be considered "classics" :shrug2:. TBH just go album by album.

coleslawed likes this.
  12. username

hey you lil piss baby

g i g l i f e

Leftandleaving and matthaber like this.
  13. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Personally, I think "Mount Hum" is the best song they've ever written. The last few minutes is just sublime.

coleslawed and matthaber like this.
  14. January 10 I think is still the best song they've done. I Can be Afraid of Anything is second, then Getting Sodas

Whenever, if Ever is a great album for the dead middle of summer when it's so hot and muggy idk why

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  15. username

hey you lil piss baby

Their best song is still “To the Janitor, To the King” (especially this performance)

coleslawed, Aregala and matthaber like this.
  16. matthaber

if we going on personal favourites id say Hilltopper or Marine Tigers are the best songs they've ever written , but i know im in the minority with that here.

coleslawed likes this.
  17. matthaber

BTW that retrospective podcast was real good and super entertaining. Its nice to hear they are working on new songs/material. Always afraid they are about to break up for some reason

coleslawed likes this.
  18. i would put Marine Tigers up there as well, especially taking the video into account

big fan of Gram too

Jesse West and matthaber like this.
  19. owenlongsworth

Regular

I think it’s because every EP or album has kind of pushed them forward in popularity/recognition, but Always Foreign kind of kept them stagnant I feel like. It didn’t really push them much forward. From the reviews and critiques I’ve read online, I think it got a pretty lukewarm reaction from fans as well. I will admit, Nicole being kicked definitely affected their sound, but I think it might actually be my favorite album. It also felt like they didn’t really tour on it either. And when I saw them open for Mewithoutyou, it honestly wasn’t good. They only had 2 guitarists (Tyler had just left again the band again, and it was the first tour for his replacement) and the set list was kind of weird. But due to the album’s reception, not much touring on it, and constant member changes, talk of a live album that has yet to be released, I was starting to feel like the end was coming as well.

20. i've never enjoyed their live show

ethansawyer, Leftandleaving and Jim like this.
  21. jols

Trusted Prestigious

I enjoy those things. I don't know if it was intentional, but it seemed like they had to sidestep any discussion of turmoil they've had over the years. There wasn't a lot of mention of specific band members. And that's fine. I thought they'd ask about Tom. I'm sure it isn't easy to deep dive into something when a bunch of lyrics were written by people who have passed or had to leave on bad terms.

22. Leftandleaving

The three closing songs on here are really great. Honestly this feels more like a return to the sound of the early EPs and WIE to me, going back to that emo/post-rock kinda sound as opposed to the more straight up 90s indie rock kinda deal of harmlessness and it really sucks this didn’t catch on like that album did. I’m not sure why because it is a really really good album. Idk if maybe the time had just passed for a true follow up to WIE but it’s a shame

Will agree that I think they’re not good live tho

23. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Am I pretty much alone in that Harmlessness is the only record I really like?

24. matthaber

this album is the closest theyve gotten to sounding like Broken Social Scene, and thats exactly where i like 'em

OotyPa likes this.
  25. Horrorca

Trusted

Whenever, If Ever, Death to New Years, the original Formlessness and the Dear Leap split are all awesome

Harmlessness and Josh is Dead are p cool

could never get too into the rest & Between Bodies is the most pretentious bs ever

jpmalone4 likes this.