Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

I use to be so into The Wonder Years. I haven't even listened to their newest album and haven't read anything about it really. I heard one or 2 of the singles before the album came out. Where does it sit compared to their other albums?

2. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

it's definitely below Suburbia and TGG on every level, i also like Upsides more

3. Iago

forbidden chalice.

For comparison, I like TGG the most, with Suburbia closely behind. I like NCTH but it's only because of key songs for me as opposed to album filled highlights. Never really clicked with Upsides as I got into the band in TGG, so by then, I felt like it was a bit immature. Not that it is an immature record, just not what I was used to with the band. Had that been my first record with the band, I might have liked it a lot more.

However, this band as a whole has been losing grip for me. I rarely revisit their records after I extensively listened to NCTH. Only a handful of times to reconfirm that TGG was the best in my eyes and I listened to Suburbia once a month or two back. Maybe it'll get better in the summer.

4. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

Suburbia > TGG > NCTH > Upsides

5. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Literally all of this is the same situation for me

Only two songs I've listened to from No Closer to Heaven since September - "Cigarettes and Saints" and "You in January"

6. Iago

forbidden chalice.

For me, it's "Cigarettes and Saints", "I Don't Like Who I Was Then", and "I Wanted So Badly To Be Brave". In fact, despite me liking IWSBTBB, I couldn't remember the name of it so I had to check Spotify.

7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Switch TGG and suburbia and you got mine
    Though I probably would listen to upsides more than NCTH because of nostalgia even though NCTH is prob better in most ways. Don't think I'd go back to either at this point as a whole

musicfan9795 likes this.
  8. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

I think TGG and Suburbia are their most full and well rounded albums, for sure. Every song on those two are 8/10 at the very minimum. The Upsides will always hold a special place in my heart for being the first time I heard TWY, but as an album I wouldn't put it ahead of either Suburbia or TGG. NCTH has it's ups and downs. Highlights are definitely the singles, as well as I Wanted So Badly To Be Brave. I personally don't even see Patsy Cline as being listenable anymore (the only TWY song I've ever disliked,) and songs like Palm Reader, You In January, and Stained Glass are all good songs but the album seems to be all over the place. Like I said, I feel like NCTH has it's highlights, Cigarettes and Saints definitely being a top 5 The Wonder Years song, but it's very up and down at times.

9. marioeatworld

Keep on moving. Busy street.

I like No Closer to Heaven far more than The Greatest Generation. The lyrics may not be as good, but I'm in love with the instrumentals. Suburbia is still my favorite, though.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  10. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I'm still shocked by how bad the production on No Closer to Heaven is.

musicfan9795, pauljgreco and FTank like this.
  11. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

They need to go with a different producer yesterday.

JJ Pagan likes this.
  12. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

No Closer is my first real foray into these guys and I really enjoy it.

13. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

For me: Suburbia > Upsides (mainly for memories/nostalgia) > NCTH/TGG

I really enjoyed some of the deeper cuts of NCTH, songs like Thanks For The Ride were some of those I came back to more.

Pepetito likes this.
  14. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Upsides>Surburbia>TGG>NCTH

That is based solely off of my personal connection to them. Basically I got into them months before the Upsides came out.

TGG>NCTH=Surburbia>Upsides

Based of an objective look at all of the albums in terms of musical quality.

15. ViTO

@vitopagano It Must Get Lonely

For me its ... NCTH > TGG > SUBURBIA > UPSIDES

For my daughters who are 16 its ... SUBURBIA > UPSIDES > > TGG > NCTH

Contender likes this.
  16. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Are you the oldest man here?

17. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

NCTH definitely didn't hit me as hard as the other releases besides the singles they released none of the songs really connected with me the way the other albums did.

I'd probably have to say TGG>Suburbia>Upsides>NCTH. Although Upsides is my favorite due to nostalgic reasons

18. ViTO

@vitopagano It Must Get Lonely

I'm 50 in Sept. so I would say I'm up there for sure. :embarrassed:

19. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Can't fathom ranking The Upsides or NCTH over The Greatest Generation

20. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I'll admit it's the best album but for whatever reason I see the Upsides as a very pivotal album in my life. I think it changed what I was looking for in my music.

21. marioeatworld

Keep on moving. Busy street.

I've been watching live performances from these last months and I feel like Soupy's speeches in between songs are progressively getting more political. I wonder how the rest of band feels about it and whether it is just Soupy speaking his mind or they all agree with each other's views.

22. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I'm sure they all agree. I feel like it's pretty much a given that most people in the punk scene fall into the Bernie crowd.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. josephcissell

Regular

Not disagreeing, but I’m curious. Why do you think that?

24. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Because minus writers and news sites I really only follow the personal twitter accounts of people from bands I like. And they are usually posting about the guy. Stereotyping but I have a feeling a lot of the people in this scene fall into his crowd if they care.

25. josephcissell

Regular

Fair enough. I don’t really care for any of the candidates personally, but that’s interesting.