Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Just listened to the new track. I like it. I felt like he went to much for the slow acoustic songs last album and I just lost interest.

2. I like the song, but definitely not as much as my favorites from the album. It seems a little sloppier, both in the playing and the lyrics, than something like "Our Apartment."

3. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Subbin'

4. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

Like the new AW song but definitely not as much as previous material.

5. Exactly how I feel

6. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

So I saw them live last night. Probably the least excited I've ever been and I don't know if it effected my opinion of the set. It was good but I wish they'd play 3-4 more songs, preferably from Upsides or Suburbia.

I've liked the last two albums but felt more of a connection to the first two so that may have also affected how I feel. Also I wonder if seeing them for the second time in about 4 months may have felt old to me.

They did play 'Living Room Song' which was really cool and I thought I'd never see live.

7. subplotofcrows

The Wonder Years need to do a small club tour.

8. Their current tour is hitting some smaller venues than they normally play, but it's also B-markets. The place they played in my hometown is 800-cap, which is about half the size of the last place I saw them in Chicago. It would be really neat to see them do 500-cap places again at some point though.

9. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I'd love to see them play at a place like The End in Nashville. I'd probably lose my shit if the played venues like that.

I truly understood why Raleigh is considered B-Market. The crowd was dead the entire time and thought there would be more people there than what showed up.

10. subplotofcrows

I assume they'll go on a main-market smaller venue tour soon enough. I remember seeing them play a now-defunct venue on the Upsides tour. Must have been a whole 50 kids but it was one of my favorite shows ever – how far they've come since then.

Brenden likes this.
  11. beggars05

For me the Aaron West album felt like listening to the band 5+ years in the future, so No Closer kind of felt like a regression (I realise how unfair this is to the other members of the band!)

With that being said, I think some of their best songs are on this album and definitely want to see them live this album cycle to see if it changes my mind a little

Christian Romero likes this.
  12. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

The new record is my least favorite of the four, but I think it has some of the band's best moments on it, and I still enjoy it. I just don't think it works as fluidly as their past records, and pretty much echo what Thomas said about the production in his review.

13. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I got to see them without a barrier in what I believe was a 300 cap venue in Fresno last week :)

14. subplotofcrows

No one asked you Justin!

15. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I love No Closer to Heaven. I thought it was far ahead of their previous works in terms of story telling (with some of TGG being the exception). I do feel like I've grown a little tired of seeing them live but that's not their fault! I think Cardinals is one of their best singles. I feel their passion carries the weaker moments and still makes it engaging. Once it stops feeling genuine then I'll probably jump ship.

16. Cola.

I was such a looker in the old days Prestigious

Wished they would have stopped at Bowery or Webster on this last tour with Microwave. Such a pain to get out to long island from the city.

17. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

The album has really grown on me, outside of the mix it's a pretty solid album. Feel like it's a natural progression for the band honestly.

18. Anyone else hear about this?

19. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

maybe April Fools?

20. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

That's my best friend and he was at the show with me tonight. He's just fucking with everyone. Sorry

21. Thanks! Making sure.

22. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

That's actually a pretty clever April Fools joke. It's subtle enough to you'd believe it.

23. Selkies

That guy looks familiar

Hey I was there last night too. They put on a great show. Haven't seen them since the TGG acoustic shows.

24. Iago

forbidden chalice.

My favorite from them is The Greatest Generation, but "Woke Up Older" and "I Don't Like Who I Was Then" always hit home. "Cul-de-sacs" is probably my favorite from TGG.

25. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

It took longer than I thought it would but they finally sold out the Pittsburgh show on Tuesday and I'm very excited