Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years Band • Page 111

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

sure why not, let soupy have it

smowashere likes this.
  2. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

(collab with Jeff Rosenstock instead Dan)

3. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I think one of the knocks on TWY has been they are not as melodious/catchy as many other pop-punk bands (not that they really are pop-punk anymore). Could be a dream collab honestly.
    That said I think Pyramids of Salt has one of the best hooks they've ever written. Raining in Kyoto has a giant chorus too although certainly more of a scream-along than "catchy".

PS I get the love for all the other TWY albums but am kinda shocked Suburbia hasn't been the hands-down favourite as people look back on the decade. It is definitely their catchiest imo, and has the most classic songs of all their records. Take out Summers in PA and maybe My Life As A Pigeon and it might be my album of the decade.

mynamesgeneric likes this.
  4. The Greatest Generation has a much more solid tracklist from a hooks perspective imo. Obviously I love Suburbia but I'll take TGG anyday.

And I think Mark could bring them a polish they've really been lacking too. I love NCTH and SC but the "production" on both (really the mix/master) is hard to listen to. In case anyone is paying attention I would 100% buy a remastered copy of both!

But I'll second TWY working with Jeff Rosenstock, he would definitely help them get that rough but great analog sound. Honestly, I'd be fine with them going more or less polished, just not the over-compressed stuff we've seen on the last two!

Rowan5215, JBoch, smowashere and 2 others like this.
  5. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Suburbia will always be my favorite from an emotional POV since it was the perfect place and time for me, but I have grown to accept TGG as the better album.

I get that Funeral is amazing but And Now I’m Nothing gets way too slept on as their best closer.

6. tomtom94

Trusted

Even if you think Blink have gone off the boil etc (and while I disagree with that I must say I'm not sold on him as a producer) Mark has some great co-writes in his catalogue and he definitely has an ear for a good melody.

I would *love* Mark to reach out to great "scene" bands who lack exposure. Imagine a catchy ditty like "Pin the Grenade" with Dan's lyricism...

7. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

ANIN was their best closer until TOGHTHM

Maybevictor likes this.
  8. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I still think Suburbia has TGG covered for hooks, and for A-grade TWY songs. Passing Through A Screen Door has always struck me as a particularly poor single choice, not really catchy at all outside the one line "I was kind of hoping you'd stay". Bastards, American Religion, Madelyn and Cul-de-sac (sorry) have never been catchy to my ears either. Not to say they're bad songs.
    I think I prefer the sound in general of Suburbia as well. Not so thick, not so much yelling etc. Just hits my absolute sweet spot, right down to the references to everything from Ginsberg to Get Up Kids/Saves The Day.

9. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I honestly don’t think The Wonder Years lack exposure. It’s not like Mark producing an album for them is suddenly going to make them an arena or amphitheater band. I think working with someone like a Jeff Rosenstock, who has been around for nearly as long as Mark/Blink have, is still at a creative peak in his career, but just isn’t as popular as Mark, would be cool.

VanMastaIteHab and troyplaysbass like this.
  10. A Mark Hoppus-produced TWY album would be neat, but there are far more interesting routes they could go at this point in their career. My dream would be to see them lean into the sound of “It Must Get Lonely” and “Flowers Where Your Face Should Be” and record with Mike Mogis.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  11. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I love both Jeff Rosenstock and TWY but I’m not sure I really want them working together. They do VERY different things.

12. Rowan5215

"Passing Through A Screen Door has always struck me as a particularly poor single choice"

i- i don't - what

13. It's totally fine that suburbia is your album, but I could not disagree more with all of the takes in this about TGG. "Passing Through a Screen Door" is so catchy I've almost ripped it off while songwriting myself. Cul-de-sac is also in my top 5 TWY songs, and it's partially because of how catchy it is.

Like I said, not knocking your opinion, because catchiness can be partially subjective, just in a completely different headspace.

Contender, smowashere and Rowan5215 like this.
  14. Also, you know who TWY should work with? Andy Hull. He could totally take their songs in that indie rock direction further. Or Chris Walla. I just really want them to work with people outside the pop punk scene more.

15. Rowan5215

everyone should work with Andy Hull at all times, unless it gets in the way of him making his own stuff, in which case all other bands fuck off

what, JBoch and BigMouth like this.
  16. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Yeah that's fine mate, I still love TGG too. And I was probably a bit harsh on Screen Door. I just know my first reaction when I heard it was basically "oh okay they are gonna double down on their aggressive side and not worry about trying to get huge". The shouty vocals especially.
    I think I'd find Cul De Sac catcher if I could make out the "response" vocals in the chorus.
    As far as TGG goes, Devil In My Bloodstream is my favourite. And I'd argue has the catchiest chorus.

17. tomtom94

Trusted

If anyone is looking for some exercise to do during lockdown I have invented the Came Out Swinging sit-ups challenge.

Step 1: Put on Came Out Swinging
    Step 2: Do a sit-up every time Dan says "I"
    Step 3: Enjoy?

18. tomtom94

Trusted

sonder, pauljgreco and BigMouth like this.
  19. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

No clue how I missed it, but I just found out about Routine Maintenance by Aaron West for the first time last night. What a treat.

Staypositive83 and pauljgreco like this.
  20. Staypositive83

Regular Supporter

What does everyone else’s personal bracket look like? I submitted a different one for the contest w/ the donation. I was pretty jazzed to see some many different albums represented in the quarter finals. Voting starts Monday I think.

Attached Files:

21. BenSmith94

Trusted

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Staypositive83 likes this.
  22. kkhawk24 Apr 12, 2020
    (Last edited: Apr 13, 2020)
    kkhawk24

My wife and I decided to do a discography listen on vinyl tonight after doing the brackets together last night. It was very cool to relisten to everything over 10 years after getting into the band. The last decade can be broken down into phases of life almost perfectly album by album.

We did realize we have two of the seven inches between NCTH and Sister Cities so we put those on in between. The transition from Won't Be Pathetic Forever to Sister Cities was pretty wild.

Jdaniels and Staypositive83 like this.
  23. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

[​IMG]

Staypositive83 likes this.
  24. Staypositive83

Regular Supporter

We may have to do that. Kids make quarintine activities tougher. I’ll never forget the day I first listened to TWY. Suburbia has come out and an acquaintance was praising it on social media. I was listening on the way to work and I made it to the refrain of “Woke Up Older” and paused it to call my now wife. We were big TMG fans and I said, I just found our favorite band.

Since then I can remember so many moments tied to TWY. We’ve seen them live who knows how many times. Super glad they came into our lives to soundtrack so many moments. I’m hoping we can all mosh and scream come July, but I’m losing hope. But when it’s time, we will be there.

I really hope Soupy considers doing a live stream of acoustic songs. I’d be down to buy a ticket.

Jdaniels and kkhawk24 like this.
  25. Jdaniels

Regular

I'm sorry but this just hit me. Going through a separation every day looks more like divorce and yet I can realize and say...

I want a wife I can sit and listen to an album and discuss it with.