The Wonder Years Band • Page 109

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

So I’m really loving the Burst & Decay II arrangements. I don’t think anything here is as much of a change up as Washington Square Park but everything sounds amazing. I wasn’t sold on Hoodie Weather as a choice at first but I think I may listen to this version more than the original.

I think the burst of the vinyl is a little inconsistent (A side is super light, b side looks better) but I’m sure that will vary for each copy.

Attached Files:

2. CAC3

Dog

How do you feel like it stacks up to the first Burst & Decay? i'm particularly curious about I Wanted So Badly to be Brave and Cul-De-Sac. Excited to get my hands on this.

3. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I think they’ve definitely perfected the burst and decay formula with this one. I wish they took more chances like they did on WSP but I think I like most of these songs more than the ones from the first volume. They sound brighter and have a little more life to them.

The B side is an amazing run. cul-de-sac is still very much a top TWY song, and while PTSD doesn’t take many chances it sounds great. It must get lonely is lovely and will surely win over some people who didn’t like the production on Sister Cities.

Hoodie Weather surprised me the most. It starts moody and just really swells by the end with the strings. I haven’t gone back to the original version very often but this one is beautiful.

With all of that said I still think You in January is my favorite burst and decay song so far.

smowashere, BackwardsWalker and CAC3 like this.
  4. Rawrz

This is really good.

j0nnymarrzbar and CAC3 like this.
  5. KidLightning

Sometimes robots just like being robots Supporter

Really enjoying this. I think WSP and Hoodie Weather see the biggest improvement from the originals, but everything is quite good.

6. j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

Passing Through a Screen Door is next level

JBoch and Maybevictor like this.
  7. J12

Regular

Got my vinyl earlier today. Giving it a spin now. This thing is incredible, and quite a marked improvement over the first (which was also very good.)

j0nnymarrzbar likes this.
  8. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Prestigious

Stream of their radio performance today

pauljgreco likes this.
  9. ECV

Digging through garbage Prestigious

This is so much better than the first one. This version of Hoodie Weather is stunning. Also Cul-De-Sac is still one of if not the best Wonder Years song

10. what

Regular

Really enjoying this. My favorite so far is It Must Get Lonely, but that’s easily a top 5 TWY song for me so that’s not surprising. Hopefully they keep making these. I did a discog run recently and there’s a lot of songs I would love hear reworked.. bar bands, now I’m nothing, thanks for the ride, bastards, don’t open the fridge (or really anything from the old splits/eps). Excited to see them in a couple weeks.

11. rbsfeatures

Regular

Couldn't have asked for a better list of songs to choose - Cul-de-Sac, Hoodie Weather, It Must Get Lonely, WSP all in my top 10 - but I don't love the whole format in general. Not complaining as no harm in having a few different versions, but not something I'll listen to a lot. In a way I wish they were a bit more experimental, reworking some lyrics etc, a bit more like with Logan Circle: A New Hope

pauljgreco likes this.
  12. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Feel like people here didn't vibe with Hoodie Weather much but that song has always slapped.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  13. pauljgreco

hello. Supporter

Starting my day listening to this and it's great. Hoodie Weather is probably my favorite on here, but WSP and Cul-de-sac aren't far behind.

Maybevictor likes this.
  14. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I think people vibed hard with Hoodie Weather when it came out (and even before that the forum was buzzing about the track title) but as they started to release more music and it started getting dropped from the setlists it kind of fell by the wayside a little bit.

15. terps12

Regular

I haven't revisited Sister Cities since it came out. Listened again recently as I'm seeing them in a week or two and still found it borderline unlistenable.

16. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I can’t imagine calling Sister Cities borderline unlistenable lol

SamLevi11 likes this.
  17. terps12

Regular

NCTH was just a significantly better version of everything on Sister Cities.

18. pauljgreco

hello. Supporter

To me, I think Sister Cities is a better version of NCTH

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  19. Micah511

A higher lonely power sits at our side

I'm not the biggest fan of either, but this is an absolute wild take.

20. troyplaysbass

reunion tour Supporter

Loving this whole EP, but these versions of “Cul-De-Sac” and “Hoodie Weather” are especially wonderful.

CoffeeEyes17 and Maybevictor like this.
  21. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

Digging this Burst & Decay EP more than the first, probably just because I like the tracks they picked more.

22. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I think this band does penultimate tracks incredibly well. WSP, Hoodie Weather, Cul De Sacs, Palm Reader, and The Orange Grove are all top tier and it’s nice to have 4 of those songs reinterpreted as acoustic songs. The acoustic version of Palm Reader that came on the NCTH deluxe is underrated.

think I’ll end up liking this more than the first B&D but they’re both phenomenal and show how diverse the band can be

23. jordalsh

never let them see the scales Supporter

omg washington square park

24. jordalsh

never let them see the scales Supporter

this is absolutely lovely

25. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Much better than the first