Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years Band • Page 108

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

A perfect song. Their best. Top 5 song of the decade. And the vocal sells it brilliantly. Packed with emotion but not in the newer style way.
    I recall Ian Cohen writing (paraphrasing here) that Sister Cities achieved what Cigarettes and Saints couldn't. I have no idea how somebody could think that

Kross, CAC3 and Carrow like this.
  2. Ian Cohen has nothing but the worst opinions lol, christ

socklord likes this.
  3. socklord

Trusted

I do think, as wholes, that Sister Cities accomplished what they wanted to do with No Closer To Heaven

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  4. NCTH is held back by the mix, which is a shame as it features some of their best stuff.

5. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I never really agree with 100% of what any critic says, so I don't hold it against Ian for having that (stupid) opinion.

Kross likes this.
  6. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

to me, No Closer to Heaven is their best album and its not even close, but that's a wildly unpopular opinion. I don't even mind the production that much.

CAC3, karcrashianpanache and Carrow like this.
  7. Iago

forbidden chalice.

NCTH is my favorite from them too but SS comes really close

Kross likes this.
  8. CAC3

Dog

NCTH definitely has my favorite TWY songs. It is the album I return to the most from their discography for sure. Sister Cities never really clicked for me like it has for some.

9. tomtom94

Trusted

Pretentious opinion: Cigarettes and Saints is the defining example of the "post-pop-punk" sound TWY were heading towards across No Closer to Heaven and Sister Cities

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Suburbia is still my favourite, followed by TGG. Upsides is third purely for nostalgia, and NCTH beats Sister Cities quite easily for me.

11. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I do wish NCTH had a better mix, but I really do love a bunch of the songs on there regardless.

12. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Yeah I don't either, it just befuddles me. A lot of people here dislike Ian but he's done a lot to introduce this scene to the tastemaker crowds (Pitchfork etc). When TWY trilogy dropped there was absolutely no chance Pitchfork would have run a review. Now I'd be shocked if they didn't review a new album by a major band from this scene. That's not always for the best, but if it can help legitimise bands in the eyes of music consumers, festival promoters etc it is surely beneficial to these artists we love.

SamLevi11 likes this.
  13. j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

TGG checking in. Best pop-punk album of the last decade.

CTFFEMT93 and btr like this.
  14. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

glad that people really love NCTH! It's my least favorite of theirs! I think it's amazing that a band can be so consistent that they have fans with every album as their favorite!

15. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

I'd love a remixed/remastered NCTH but I'm also very down for more Burst & Decay style reworks.

16. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

Crazy to me that some people don’t like Sister Cities. Far and away their best collection of songs.

17. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

Sister Cities owns but the departure in sound could be challenging to a lot of their fans, I get it. pop punk is a weird genre like that, people going outside of it always risk alienating fans, even if their music does get better.

18. socklord

Trusted

Didn’t realize Sister Cities was much of a departure in their sound to some

19. CAC3

Dog

Can't wait to get my hands on Burst and Decay II. Really love the songs they chose for it.

20. J12

Trusted Supporter

I preface this ranking with the fact that I absolutely adore every record in its own way. All but one was my album of the year the year it was released, and I wouldn't change that now. The sole exception being Sister Cities, which I ranked at #2 simply because Spanish Love Songs' "Schmaltz" knocked me off my feet the way The Upsides did in 2010. Still, that's more of a tie to me than anything, especially given my ranking of Sister Cities.

The Greatest Generation
    Sister Cities
    Suburbia: I've Given You All and Now I'm Nothing
    No Closer to Heaven
    The Upsides

I could flip Suburbia and NCTH on any given day.

I didn't rank Get Stoked On It here because I essentially treat it the way the band does. It would be a distant #6.

21. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

So I’m really loving the Burst & Decay II arrangements. I don’t think anything here is as much of a change up as Washington Square Park but everything sounds amazing. I wasn’t sold on Hoodie Weather as a choice at first but I think I may listen to this version more than the original.

I think the burst of the vinyl is a little inconsistent (A side is super light, b side looks better) but I’m sure that will vary for each copy.

Attached Files:

22. CAC3

Dog

How do you feel like it stacks up to the first Burst & Decay? i'm particularly curious about I Wanted So Badly to be Brave and Cul-De-Sac. Excited to get my hands on this.

23. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I think they’ve definitely perfected the burst and decay formula with this one. I wish they took more chances like they did on WSP but I think I like most of these songs more than the ones from the first volume. They sound brighter and have a little more life to them.

The B side is an amazing run. cul-de-sac is still very much a top TWY song, and while PTSD doesn’t take many chances it sounds great. It must get lonely is lovely and will surely win over some people who didn’t like the production on Sister Cities.

Hoodie Weather surprised me the most. It starts moody and just really swells by the end with the strings. I haven’t gone back to the original version very often but this one is beautiful.

With all of that said I still think You in January is my favorite burst and decay song so far.

smowashere, BackwardsWalker and CAC3 like this.
  24. Rawrz

Regular

This is really good.

j0nnymarrzbar and CAC3 like this.
  25. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Really enjoying this. I think WSP and Hoodie Weather see the biggest improvement from the originals, but everything is quite good.