Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years Band • Page 107

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

I’m liking this V2 songs so much more then V1

CAC3 likes this.
  2. CAC3

Dog

This is fantastic. Love the layered vocals. Love this band.

3. Kelsey

Regular

The “and they did” got me
    Can’t wait to see them live again soon

sonder and tyler2tall like this.
  4. I'll always have a special place in my heart for this record. I love this iteration of WSP and it reminded me that I never ordered a vinyl copy of Vol 2! Fixed that immediately. I hope it's not too long for a follow-up to Sister Cities... but I'd love to put off the next record for a ten-year tour of The Upsides.

5. Staypositive83

Regular Supporter

Awesome. Wasn’t sure what WSP would sound like. The “they did” is nice.

What Bleachers song was covered? Did a copy ever surface?

6. I believe it was Don't Take the Money, and it is only for SDPS subscribers so I doubt it will surface.

7. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

That is definitely a great take on the original

8. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

I’m sure it will hit a charity compilation eventually, especially since SDPS is over.

Jdaniels likes this.
  9. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yeah this new version is absolutely fantastic.

10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Finally listened and holy shit that is insanely good. I got some shit in here for saying I really love that album and think it stands up better than most pop punk of that time, and I stand by it.

BigMouth likes this.
  11. CAC3

Dog

Did Mike Kennedy and his fiancé break up? I noticed that she disappeared from his social media. Can't help but be curious.

12. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Gonna come in with a hot take and say it always sounds like Dan is on the verge of sobbing when he sings new material and, specifically on older tracks, it bothers me. (with the exception of the end of this song specifically)

That trend, regarding his vocals, was first apparent when he kicked off Aaron West. At that time, it wasn't an issue, but it has worn on me extensively across the last few releases..

On a positive note, I like everything else about the re-imagining of the track.

13. socklord

Trusted

On that subject, based on the video they shared for the reimagined version of WSP, I was really not into Dan's vocals. Kinda puts me off the idea of the EP, but I'll probably still peep it eventually

14. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Yup. His delivery kills me now.

j0nnymarrzbar likes this.
  15. He is a bit one-note in his delivery. I think it worked for Sister Cities, but he should change it up for lighter fare.

16. j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

Yeah. Completely understand artists growing and experimenting with their work but it does become a bit much. Be cool if he goes back to the way he was singing on TGG; peak Soupy and TWY

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  17. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Sadly I agree, I find it distracting

18. MegT585

Trusted

Dan covering All too Well by Taylor Swift is up on Spotify now. My first time hearing it was this morning and holy shit it is so good. Is he doing anything else/a full cover album or anything or is this just a random one off? Just curious with the album art on Spotify

sonder likes this.
  19. marioeatworld

Keep on moving. Busy street.

I agree it is fantastic! He originally did it as a contribution to this compilation album. All proceeds go to charity

MegT585 likes this.
  20. MegT585

Trusted

I had no idea this was even a thing! Thanks!

21. what

Regular

Oh shit that cover is great

22. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

For a long time, I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but you've nailed it. The delivery just doesn't click for me that much. Not a criticism or anything, but I had been struggling to figure out why I haven't connected with the new material and this is a large part of it (among other things I suppose).

23. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I still love the band. Thought Sister Cities was really good. The almost-crying vocals do irk me though. And I don't think they do the band any favours in general. I have a friend who loved the trilogy but had kind of drifted from TWY. I span Sister Cities for him and he asked straight away why Soupy sounded like he was sobbing the whole time. My wife asked the same thing. (To be more specific, she'd always happily listened to TWY with me without actually getting into the band. But when I put on Sister Cities she was instantly like "what is this sad boy music?" I told her it was TWY and she asked why he sang like that now.)
    I hope others feel differently. Obviously Soupy likes the sound because he seems to be sticking with it. The rest of the band seems happy with it too. In my expierence, it has been an alienating choice for long-time and more casual fans.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  24. BenSmith94

Trusted

I'd noticed, but I didn't think it was much of an issue.

I think if he tried to sing Sister Cities songs in the style of the Upsides it would have sounded really awkward. I don't think he sounds like he's crying or about to cry, just using his voice to carry the weight of emotions he's feeling.

25. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

If you can listen to Cigarettes & Saints without getting emotional, you are a robot.