Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years Tease 2018

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I'm ready. They've gotten better with every release

3. btr

Trusted Supporter

The best news. My most anticipated so far for 2018.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  4. aniafc

Trusted

Agreed up until NCTH. Half of that album was really disappointing

TJ Wells likes this.
  5. Kaduck

Regular

Maybe this one will finally get me to be a fan of their music. I like these guys as people, and respect them, like what they’ve been doing with their career, but the music just never seems to catch my ear.

Youarcade and DaveDalva like this.
  6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

very here for it

7. Derek Wright

Regular Prestigious

My most anticipated record for 2018, for sure!

8. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I loved Burst and Decay so much. I’m excited to see what they do with evolving their sound.

CoffeeEyes17 and Colby Searcy like this.
  9. IATAvalanche

Regular

TWY twitter posted about a new album on the 22nd, too

Colby Searcy likes this.
  10. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Kinda over this band but I’ll listen to this

11. Jared Luttrell

Regular

The last record had maybe 3 songs I really love and still come back to but overall I really loved Greatest Generation and hope I will enjoy and come back to this next album as much as I do that one.

12. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

I agree. I’m not even sure it was the actual songs I didn’t like on NCTH. The production makes it hard to listen to for me. I hope the sound of the new one is closer to the slickness of TGG.

13. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

TGG is the one album that Connects with me. Last album had a some good songs too. I’ll check out something new by these guys.

I recommend seeing these guys live too. Saw them in support of TGG and I was very impressed.

14. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

i wrote an extremely long piece in the TWY thread about how much this band means to me and how much of myself I see in Dans storyline throughout their albums.

The Upsides made me feel comfortable with being uncomfortable. ive always been weird, anxious, paranoid, easily upset, and very uncomfortable with my physical appearance and sexuality up until pretty recently. The Upsides helped me out a lot during that time as well as serving as the transition between high school Ken and college Ken.

Suburbia made me feel both pride and hatred in my hometown. i live in rural NC and for all of the disgusting things ive seen, KKK rallies, protests against LGBTQs by churches, blatant sexism, theres also been a lot of good things and good people here who fight against those injustices, ill always have a soft spot for sweet tea, biscuits, and BBQ. it was also a time when a lot of my friends were leaving or had already left. i didnt have the money to go to college out of state, i didnt get a scholarship or anything either. im happy for all of my friends, theyre doing great things, but it was hard watching them all leave and seeing their facebooks light up with dream jobs and marriage proposals while im still living with my folks and working hourly jobs.

TGG made me get in touch with my family history and realize my mental struggles arent my fault. much like Dan, i had a grandfather and great grandfather who served in Vietnam and WWII. they both wrote journals and they both clearly suffered from an undiagnosed mental illness, my grandfather would have nightmares about villages burning or people being gunned down a lot. when my dad passed away i had to spend a lot of time with my grandparents since my mom worked two jobs, sometimes three. he would talk to me about this stuff as i got older, how traumatized he was. he left me the two journals when he passed and theyre both haunting yet comforting. my great grandad killed himself, in his journal he said he felt like a cloud had been over his head for his whole life. i started feeling like i too was falling behind, like id really messed up somewhere along the way. i dont really feel that way anymore

NCTH made me cope with a lot of losses. i had a few friends pass away, be it from depression, drugs, car accidents, etc. just a vignette of small town tragedies that deeply affected me. around this time id also come face to face with my own struggles with sexuality and attraction. this was also around the time i was becoming more socially conscious and NCTH played a big role in that. i went through a phase of hating this band because i felt i needed to, they were falling off for a lot of people and i wanted to keep up appearances. that was really dumb of me.

i cant wait to see what the next album does for me in this point of my life

SPine, BigMouth, Contender and 2 others like this.
  15. Underoath18

16. notbrokejustbent

Great post. Love how the music connects to us. Though my connection may not be as strong as what you just described, I feel it with those albums too. Although NCTH didn’t strike a chord with me minus a few songs.

17. SPine

Trusted

Thank you for your post! The Wonder Years were my favorite band when I was 18-20. Almost 25 now. They helped me with some of the hardest times in my life. I saw TWY 8 times since 2012 because their music helped me so much.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.