Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years - Sister Cities (April 6, 2018) Album • Page 219

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JaytotheGee, Jan 29, 2018.

1. danielm123

Trusted

Yeah this is a refreshing change of pace but Sister Cities is far and away my favorite album of their's at this point and I'm extremely excited to see how they push that sound further (as opposed to going back to this one which, imo, they pretty much executed as well as possible in TGG)

2. seanxwilliams

Scar crossed lovers, forever

3. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

smowashere likes this.
  4. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Man, TGG is so good.

5. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

BackwardsWalker likes this.
  6. HEAD ABOVE WATER THIS YEAR, BOYS

7. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

If this year would just end I think we'd all be ok

8. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I've been going through their discography because I never loved them as much as others aside from a few songs and I wanted to see if that opinion would change. The Greatest Generation has the strongest peaks for me, but like most of their albums, it loses steam for me after the first four or five tracks and then it gets pretty spotty.

I never listened to Sister Cities because for some reason I thought the consensus was that it's a train wreck (not sure why this was my impression) and so I never bothered until last night. Umm...after first listen it's pretty easily my first or second favorite album of theirs if not only because it felt far more consistent. It's a shame it took me so long to check it out.

AWasteOfATime and beachdude like this.
  9. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Oh yes Sister Cities is fantastic!

beachdude and danielm123 like this.
  10. TomG

Trusted Supporter

I am going to give it another chance. I remember the production taking me out of it, but not sure if I was just listening on bad headphones or something

11. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Sister cities is easily my favorite of theirs

danielm123 and beachdude like this.
  12. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah Sister Cities is my favorite too

danielm123 likes this.
  13. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

This album is great, but my problem with it is it's usually too emotionally heavy for my mood, so I don't put it on often.

14. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Sister cities is the only one I really ever return to anymore

beachdude, danielm123 and SpyKi like this.
  15. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Flowers Where Your Face Should Be and Heavens Gate pack so much punch back to back

anotherpancake likes this.
  16. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Yeah this. It's easily my favorite but it really is a heavy listen at times. Incredible album nonetheless

17. My only problem with this album and NCTH are the mix/master. But these guys are my favourite band and Sister Cities has their best songwriting yet, so yeah, this record is fantastic.

18. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

The production on NCTH doesn't bother me at all apart from on Palm Reader, where the choruses and ending are super murky.

For some reason I find this much harder to listen to because of the mix. The songwriting is top notch though.

19. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

I think NCTH is unlistenable. I’m not being hyperbolic. I can’t listen to it. It sounds so bad. Like, to me it legitimately sounds like someone put Saran Wrap over my speakers or something.

20. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Genuinely think I've only listened to NCTH all the way through maybe 3 or 4 times since release. Sounds so muddy and the vocals are indistinguishable for a lot of it. Love the songs on it when played live, but just get bored listening to the record.

21. btr

Trusted Supporter

Would love a NCTH and Sister Cities remaster/rerelease. I don't put either of them on anymore for the same reason everyone else has already stated

Thrillcollinz and BigMouth like this.
  22. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I think sister cities sounds pretty good tbh

23. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

NCTH isn’t great, but what you’re describing are exactly my feelings on Hello Exile. I don’t know how it was released sounding like that.

FrankieThe4th likes this.
  24. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Hello Exile is another one for me actually. Annoying considering how hyped I was for it after After The Party

25. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I always thought the beginning of Raining in kyoto sounded really thin and muffled but maybe that was on purpose.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.