Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years - Sister Cities (April 6, 2018) Album • Page 216

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JaytotheGee, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Eclipse

Regular

I don't doubt that what they give you is nice quality stuff each month, but I think its just not realistic for many people financially, especially since the fanbase tends to be between 16-30. I feel like even if they did every three months you get something and pay 20 each gift and had different payment plans over those three months and small updates (like a Patreon thing or something) it would be possible for more people to do it. But I also am not an expert on subscriptions and labels so I don't even know if that is possible

also cause I'm a little confused on it, is this just gonna be for the next year while they don't tour or longer term?

2. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Whilst it's not clear from the initial release, I'm not sure whether it's the type of thing where you're supposed/ expected to stay subbed the entire year. From the language Dan used in the video, it seems like it's the sort of thing that you drop in and out of month to month. Obviously the hardcore fans will stay subbed and get all the stuff, but from what he was saying (buy it and give it as a gift to a friend - I don't know, I wouldn't spend >£200 on a gift for most of my friends).

Over in the UK we have a brewery called Brewdog which is doing a similar thing with beer, where you pay £11 every two weeks, and each two weeks you get 3 limited edition single run beers. But it can be cancelled any time and picked up again with a single click. I think it makes sense for this thing to be like this. Have a little extra cash at the end of the month? Sub for 2 months and get some sweet TWY merch.

Course I could be totally wrong as I don't think it's immediately clear, or maybe I'm tired haha. I think the bigger issue is no P&P included. For a flat $20, it's okayish. But it's not. It's going to be closer to $30 some months. That's steep.

Eclipse and pauljgreco like this.
  3. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Yeah the shipping on top of it all definitely makes it less ideal. Like @AFoolsGlory said above, I don’t think its supposed to be a thing you do for a whole year, at least for MOST people. I’m for sure doing this as a Christmas present for my sister, but definitely not a full year. It’s a steep price but I’m excited to see what they’re going to put into it.

4. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

For what it's worth, La Dispute did the same thing a few years ago and it was 100% worth it.

Joe4th likes this.
  5. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

I'm not THAT big of a fan of La Dispute so I never did that, but wasn't one of the first things they did a 7" or something?
    I was just talking to my friend about their subscription a few weeks ago actually wondering what ever happened to it.

6. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

Yeah, you got the soundtrack to thier documentary on vinyl, socks, a really nice beanie, a book that goes through the writing process for wildlife, the first take veraion of King Park, etc. It was a year long I beleive and you couldnt do it month to month if you wanted.

7. I did a deep dive into The Upsides, Suburbia, and TGG. I'm trying to get into Sister Cities, but it's really just not clicking with me at all.

8. Jim

Trusted Supporter

i never liked TWY until this one. Sister cities got me to like some of the older albums, which is weird since they're not really similar.

Christian Romero likes this.
  9. Lazarus

Drummer

Pretty sure I love just about every track on here. This album is nothing short of fantastic and I’m glad to feel that way still after not having listened to it since summer

Kelsey, Carrow, FrankieThe4th and 3 others like this.
  10. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

This record has suddenly started to click big time with me. I guess I just needed snow on the ground for it!

Joe4th likes this.
  11. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

It's my favorite album from them

Larry David likes this.
  12. DesolateEarth

Birb

This and the greatest generation are my top 2 from them.

13. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Here for this Friday Night Lights content WHATEVER it is.

14. well fuck

15. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Thought I read something on his Instagram a few weeks ago related to this with the word "fanzine" in it or something? Could be wrong.
    Either way, I am here for Friday Night Lights.

16. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

17. leerkat

relentlessly nosy bastard

You're awfully close! This is gonna be so so so cool.

pauljgreco likes this.
  18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

this album rules so much

19. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Omg I cannot wait. Ahhhh!

20. leerkat

5Stories, sonder, Jake W and 3 others like this.
  21. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

it's like they made this for me

CLEAR EYES! FULL HEARTS! CAN'T LOSE!

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  22. leerkat

Dan outlined this to us when we gave him our Aaron West fanzine, and it's always cool to see people not being afraid to interact with media they love and also not being scared of saying the dreaded "fan fiction" words. This is gonna be the coolest fucking thing.

pauljgreco likes this.
  23. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Never watched the show but this is very cool

24. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

God this is like my favorite show of all time and am I dreaming?

25. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

I am so happy right now omg