Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years - Sister Cities (April 6, 2018) Album • Page 213

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JaytotheGee, Jan 29, 2018.

1. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

seeing pyramids of salt live has been my favorite moment of the year

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  2. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

Yeah, Pyramids live was amazing. It was cool to see so many people stoked on a new song. Typically new songs don't incite big sing a longs.

3. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Seeing Kyoto was mine. So intense, so fucking good.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  4. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

All of their new songs sound absolutely MASSIVE live.

5. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

The ocean is probably my favorite twy song these days

jordalsh likes this.
  6. leerkat

relentlessly nosy bastard

album is still so good. It Must Get Lonely is still my favourite, with Heaven's Gate close second for that outro.

7. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I don’t think I dislike a single song on here and I think that’s a first for a twy album

jordalsh and sophos34 like this.
  8. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

Yeah, if I'm The Wonder Years, I'd be disappointed to be opening for anyone at this stage in their career, much less a band with as much of a generic teenybopper reputation as Mayday Parade. TWY are the most critically lauded and objectively respected band in the pop punk genre right now – they should be carving their own roles, not damaging their brand by playing second fiddle to an act with no critical backing.

9. Might just be me projecting but I doubt it^^^ Dan has always been cool to / respectful of the broader "scene" at large. I bet he and the rest of the band are probably happy that they're able to make a decent living playing their music live to people who are paying to see them. I don't think they're too big for their britches

10. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

They realistically should be supporting someone like Manchester Orchestra, Thrice etc on this album cycle

FrankieThe4th likes this.
  11. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

This album really clicked for me today. I feel like it should have been a September/October release.

12. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

this is my biggest problem with the mayday tour. i have never been into mayday parade and only vaguely know what they sound like, but my perception has always been that they're pretttttttty damn popular and always have been, the fact my little sister has been a fan since for at least the last four years (and she is NOT like me and is not interested in music the way i am at all) is why ive always thought they had quite a broad appeal and a decent fan base. so im not surprised, size wise, TWY are touring with them not as a headliner. however, stylistically, sister cities is in a completely different realm than what kind of music mayday makes. itd be like if foxing were on a tour opening up for like, neck deep or something.

FrankieThe4th and JaytotheGee like this.
  13. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Lol, this is unbelievably condescending.

14. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Jesus.

15. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Nothing makes me cringe more than when people say "teenybopper"

FTank and slowheart like this.
  16. leerkat

relentlessly nosy bastard

Look, I'm as grumpy as the next guy over having to see a fairly generic band that I don't care about, but this is all real pretentious. I think TWY have made it pretty clear they don't think they're better than anyone. They're just not that band. As far as I know, they like Mayday and the dudes in Mayday, too.
    Besides, if they opened for fucking Thrice of all bands, can you imagine the snub they would get by the crowd? I'd rather play to a crowd of enthusiastic teens than a bunch of jaded 30 year old men who try to talk over my set while sipping an IPA
    I mean if I'm in TWY that's probably half my entourage already

17. btr

Trusted Supporter

Annoying how Mayday never gets any credit. There's a reason they were one of like three bands to survive that late 2000s era.

Contender and slowheart like this.
  18. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

The Wonder Years should ABSOLUTELY be opening for other bands. What an absurd statement. There's only so much you can grow in your own world.

pauljgreco likes this.
  19. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Personally with TWY I think they would benefit just taking out non pop punk bands - especially with their latest album. Save Face, Microwave, All Get Out, etc... are perfect examples for bands they should or have taken out.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

thrice crowds are mostly fine /shrug I’ve seen them like 10 times but whatever

21. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

I’d say have mercy and oso oso are exactly what you’re talking about

LessThanTrevor likes this.
  22. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Oh for sure. I'm happy to see them taking that route too. Last time I saw them live it was just stacked with bands like Moose Blood, Real Friends, and Knuckle Puck.

23. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

The did aknowledge that they don’t wanna go that route again

FrankieThe4th and LessThanTrevor like this.
  24. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

I certainly don't think Mayday Parade are an awful band - their debut album is great and so was the Sapone-produced Black Lines, but their other albums have been really rough to hear (the song "Kids in Love", in particular - I really despise that one). Anyways, that's irrelevant – it's not about quality, it's about association, and the only band that I'd really want to see The Wonder Years open for would be legends of the scene, like Thrice. I'd be annoyed if they were touring with Knuckle Puck or Moose Blood or Neck Deep or any other basic, bland, cookie-cutter pop punk act. It'd serve them way better to lean towards the indie-er side of the spectrum, like ManchOr/Foxing, as mentioned earlier.

The best thing I can take from this tour is that I hope the Mayday Parade fans grow out of that band and listen to The Wonder Years because of this tour.

25. danielm123

Trusted

I kind of agree with the idea that, if they're going to be opening for another band, it should be for bands outside this scene. I really have no opinion on Mayday Parade, but I just feel that if you're someone who knows pop-punk and haven't gotten into TWY yet, they're probably just not your thing. I'd rather them try to introduce themselves into other scenes since they've pretty much given up their pop punk roots at this point anyway.

(Unless there are a bunch of Mayday fans who have never heard of TWY, which is certainly possible, but would surprise me a bit)