Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years - Sister Cities (April 6, 2018) Album • Page 212

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JaytotheGee, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

You would probably enjoy their second latest record, Black Lines, it was produced by Mike Sapone.

2. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

whatd have mercy do?

SamLevi11 likes this.
  3. btr

Trusted Supporter

What’s with all the Mayday Parade hate? Didn’t any of you go to middle school??

(Also their last two albums are great)

sonder, FTank and pauljgreco like this.
  4. leerkat Sep 10, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 11, 2018)
    leerkat

relentlessly nosy bastard

Haha I have no doubt Mayday are good dudes if you say it. It’s just aggressively not my thing. I didn’t listen to music in middle school, like, at all, and I doubt I’d have been able to relate to what they were about.

This just reminds me of a much more unlikely tour : TWY and Enter Shikari back in 2016. I flew to Scotland to do two dates off that tour at the height of my Shikari fandom (partly because they were the only band who deigned come to Paris yearly) and at a budding stage of my intense interest for TWY. In February when the Mayday tour comes around it’ll have been 3 years since that tour, and 3 years since TWY became my favourite band, and I’ll be seeing them in the same venue I saw them on the Shikari tour. The Academy is pretty but has fucking awful sound and people flow and sightlines. Also that’s where I saw Frightened Rabbit for the last time. It’s gonna be weird.

okayibelieveyou likes this.
  5. Daaaamn haven't thought of Enter Shikari in a while

6. leerkat

relentlessly nosy bastard

me and you both. That was a whacky ass lineup.

ECV likes this.
  7. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

What did Have Mercy do? I haven't listened to the third album but their debut was awesome.

Last album wasn't great but they still kill it live. Saw them headline a festival here and it was great.

8. oldboot

Regular

Wish this tour was coming to the US, I'm 29 and would still cream my pants to see this pairing. I love Mayday, so glad their sound has evolved over the years. And TWY are just...TWY.

9. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

Loved their debut, too. But every original member except for the singer left at the same time (for reasons I don't think were ever publicly disclosed?), resulting in an awfully bland third album. He doubles down on his worst lyrical tendencies - stuff like "Reaper" is misogynistic and gross. At least one band member mocked people's pronouns.

At the very least, Have Mercy's best days are behind them, which is the opposite of what I'd hope for TWY.

10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Hmmm I never listened to their third album. I heard the lead single and it was fine, but didn't grip me.

I wouldn't judge the band off a former members actions if they are no longer in the band, but you have to imagine if all the other members left, there must be a reason.

FrankieThe4th likes this.
  11. FrankieThe4th

Not clear whether it was a former or current member - the source was a personal friend of a Chorus regular who knew the folks in question. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth regardless. :(

12. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Brian is the only current member. To my knowledge they just didn't want to be in the band anymore and Brian wanted to keep going

I don't think anything is wrong with TWY touring with Have Mercy

13. FrankieThe4th

Wikipedia lists a full five-person band, but I guess that's just his touring band?

I just wanna see TWY moving on to bigger and better things. For what it's worth, it's nice to see them touring with Oso Oso.

JaytotheGee likes this.
  14. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Said this in the Fall Out Boy thread, but it’s definitely interesting to share here.

Apparently the claps/stomps on “Heaven’s Gate” are in part thanks to TWY! Last night Soupy told us how they were at the studio the same day FOB needed in-time claps lol

Carrow and pauljgreco like this.
  15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

im pretty sure i knew that

smowashere likes this.
  16. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

They've mentioned it a couple times now. It was definitely in their interview with Radio 104.5 on album release day.

smowashere and pauljgreco like this.
  17. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

...which heavens gate

18. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

19. marioeatworld

Keep on moving. Busy street.

I don't know much about drumming, but I truly believe that Mike Kennedy is one of the best things about this band. The verses of Heaven's Gate (Sad & Sober) are unreal.

Zac Djamoos and pauljgreco like this.
  20. still love this album

dotKev likes this.
  21. dotKev

@dotkevin

Can confirm.

22. DesolateEarth

Birb

Still haven't the full album yet (it's not all on Youtube after 5 and a half months for some inexplicable reason) but the title track, Pyramids of Salt, and Raining in Kyoto are all crazy good.

23. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Definitely set on Pyramids of Salt being my favourite track on this one. Followed by the closer and It Must Get Lonely

24. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Ocean and Kyoto are pretty easily my two favorites from this.

25. danielm123

Trusted

Pyramids, Kyoto, and Ocean are 3 of the best 4 songs they've ever done (along with Cigarettes & Saints)

DesolateEarth and TEGCRocco like this.