Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years / Real Friends / Knuckle Puck / Moose Blood / Seaway Tour • Page 20

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by kidinthebushes, Aug 14, 2016.

1. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

I agree that it would be great to see more tours with female musicians but you have to realize that the three or four bands everyone name drops in these discussions can't play on every tour...

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

the point is that there are far more than three or four bands...
    and once you start being inclusive more bands will surface and we'll finally begin fighting this scene and how male dominated it is

bachna84, troyplaysbass and Joe4th like this.
  3. red8ge

Regular

i think every band on my date for the code orange tour has a woman in it. A+

ALT/MSC/FAN and cwhit like this.
  4. Frobert

Regular

I'm failing to see why it matters whether bands have male or female members. There isn't a lack of female bands b/c male fans don't want female bands in the scene. I love bands that have a female singer -- just sounds great, in my opinion. But rock is just a genre that is heavily made up of males. Always has been, always will be. Why does this have to be a terrible thing?

5. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Because diversity is important, and there a tons of bands out there that don't get a fair shot if they have female members. How many bands are thrown to the side because "Oh, they sound like Paramore"? The opportunity isn't there for women like there is men, and if you can't see that, I don't know what else to say.

6. kman22

Regular

Anyone have the typical set times for this tour? might have missed them.

7. cwhit

do you know why rock is mostly male? because shitty male led rock scenes are so toxic to women, look at warped tour. the reason why women aren't in bands is because men have always made it uncomfortable to do so. we need to change that culture and inspire more female musicians, which starts with putting women on stage

8. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Just to chime in on the discussion. I get where everyone is coming from, both sides of the argument make sense. I'd love to see more females included on these tours but I'm also opposed to having them there just for the sake of having females. A good band is a good regardless of their gender/identity IMO.

9. cwhit

oh absolutely, don't put a shitty woman led band on a tour because of diversity's sake. but there's no excuse to not because there are so many amazing bands with women in it

thisisnotbrianm and Joe4th like this.
  10. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Agreed 100%

cwhit likes this.
  11. kidinthebushes

Trusted

Not all of us are ashamed to be men.

Knifeparty likes this.
  12. ChicagoBowls

!!!!

It definitely needs to happen more often. The Wrecking Ball (This years especially) and the Menz Tour with Pup are the few notable times I saw diverse lineups.

13. cwhit

14. Skoke

Regular

Not as many bands that are thrown to the side because "Oh, they sound like every other pop punk band."

Knifeparty and kidinthebushes like this.
  15. Joe4th

It's really gross how toxic the pop punk scene is, and I'm glad that there's very few bands I enjoy from it anymore.

heaththehorizon and cwhit like this.
  16. cwhit

because those actually sound the same rather than being a sexist judgment

Anna Acosta and Joe4th like this.
  17. The fact that you accept this instead of asking yourself why that might be is why this is a terrible thing.

And, as for the "always will be" assignation... you are incorrect. With or without you, we're going to change things.

18. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

I don't know. 95% of my female friends don't listen to punk/metal music and I don't think it's because the Wonder Years are touring with Knuckle Puck instead of Petal.

I agree the scene should absolutely be a more inclusive place to women but I don't think someone is being anything other than realistic to say punk/metal will inherently continue to be heavier weighted towards men. I'd lean towards making the men in this scene more accountable for the inclusion and safety of their female fans rather than trying to pander by include a token female act on every tour (as if a female artist would even want to be given a tour offer for this reason). But hey if a hundred years from now punk music is evenly split 50/50 between men and women then egg on my face.

19. cwhit

why would women want to be part of a scene that's majority dudes? and a majority don't care about them feeling welcomed? that's exactly what the issue is. getting more female role models on stage will influence more women to be part of the scene and enjoy the music, and thus make new bands, snowballing further and further

and nobody is saying anything about including a "token" act with women in it. find good bands. put those good bands on tours.

troyplaysbass likes this.
  20. Joe4th

So just because you don't think that it'll ever be a 50/50 split means we shouldn't try to do all we can to get more female acts out there to influence other women to pursue dreams of making music? You're literally just throwing your hands up and saying "well, not my problem!"

troyplaysbass and cwhit like this.
  21. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

lol literally no one in this thread is saying any of that. My point was that it's probably a combination of making the scene BETTER for women and encouraging more inclusion.

I guess I just tend to look at things pragmatically. Say 5% of musicians in this scene currently are women (this is unacceptable). If every woman that's ever had any interest in starting a punk band does so, then what does that equilibrium become, 15%? You're still going to see tours with no women. Things need to be done but I don't think it's fair to rake bands over the coals because they don't have high representation on every tour they go on all year.

22. cwhit

not to put TWY on blast, here's their tour list according to wikpedia

I count 3 women (may have missed maybe one). That's over like, 30 tours. How is that acceptable?

Joe4th likes this.
  23. ChicagoBowls

!!!!

I somewhat agree. We can definitely do both. However, you need to make environment conducive before anything else can get done. Shows are still going to be difficult, not like doing festivals. With festivals, we aren't limited to 5 or sometimes 3 acts.

Enjoying the dialogue on here tho.

24. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

In the end, it's great to try and push bands with girls in it but it all comes down to who can draw. Instead of going after TWY or bands like that who need a good lineup to sell out 1200 person clubs, go after bands like BMTH, Black Veil Brides, PTV, SwS and ADTR who can sell out big places by themselves. Most of their audience are made up of women/girls already so I think if these young girls see this, they'd be more inclined to start a band. Then, depending on the genre, they can trickle down and tour with a band like TWY having already established a fan base. BMTH brought out PVRIS on their last tour and even though they were on the verge of being huge already, they still gained a lot of new fans that way. This is just my 2 cents.

25. cwhit

These are four or five band lineups, are you saying that the fourth band on the bill will make a significant difference about who would draw? Would Petal on this lineup draw any less than Seaway (who, as you know, was a band that has their own issues when it comes to the safety of women...)

Joe4th likes this.