Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years Have Started Working on a New Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 4, 2017.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

they already peaked. i said that earlier. They don't have the style of pop punk that the kids are into anymore, and I don't see any way that'll come back. Their best bet is to switch things up and do what they want, I know their influences come from far far more than pop punk.

2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

What kind of pop punk ARE the kids into?

3. cwhit

Real Friends, Knuckle Puck, Neck Deep, State Champs...those bands do as well if not better than TWY these days with the warped tour crowd.

4. aniafc

Trusted

And then what? They switch to another label, change their sound, it falls flat commercially, and then they break up shortly after. I keep comparing this to Yellowcard because that's just what this is. It's a band that has peaked and feels their best bet is to switch things up and leave their label.

Sure, leaving Hopeless might get them to different tours. But that's really about it.

5. cwhit

Yellowcard had about twice as many albums and had been a band for much longer than TWY at that same point. YC was a band that hit huge popularity, and never even slightly grazed critical attention like TWY did with TGG. The influences are in difference places, TWY has more critical upside than yc ever did. Things aren't about mainstream popularity

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  6. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

The Story So Far and Neck Deep are without a doubt the current kings of the pop punk scene I think.

7. cwhit

TSSF has fallen off a tad but they're still huge

8. nicksteinborn

The Wonder Years Verified

Glad some of you are excited. I'm excited to get to work.

A few things:
    -We have no plans to play Warped again.
    -Our label has never had much of a say in who we toured with. They were certainly free to offer their advice, but it's only advice.
    -We could not have left Hopeless after TGG as we were still contractually obligated to do one more record with them.
    -Hopeless has never had any say over our artistic decisions. There were limitations due to budgets and timing, but they never once said that we could or could not write a piece of music. They didn't hear a single demo for a song off of TGG until we were about to record.
    -We're friggin' old and probably have peaked, but our last headliner was still one of our biggest. :shrug:

Every band has a different relationship with their label, but we are very independent and very involved in our everything. Still figuring out our future, but budgets should be better and will enable us to do more of what we want.

9. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

This will be the big one. I feel it.

11. aniafc

Trusted

I hope your future is still bright and big, I really do. I just worry because so many bands have had that too 10 debut and then fall off after that, and you guys deserve something more than that.

Excited, nonetheless, for the future and I'm looking forward to catching up soon.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  12. nicksteinborn

The Wonder Years Verified

Every record and tour, we joke about it being the end. We've been incredibly lucky and couldn't be more grateful. If it's our time to bow out, then it's just our time. That said, I'd really like to continue doing this for a least a little while longer. Heh. As always, we're going to try to write the best record we can. We're all very excited.

13. aniafc

Trusted

Stroll through Columbus on your farewell tour at least ;)

Also, what ever happened to the 10 year shows that were recorded? That was such a great weekend to be there and I'd love to relive it

14. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Nice, it's cool you took the time to come here and read thoughts and so on.

Gonna be great to see you guys in Birmingham on your UK tour next month. Reckon there's a chance of you guys playing 'And Now I'm Nothing' on the tour, I've seen you guys 7 times and never heard it? I know you probably have your setlist already worked out, I'm just wondering :blush:

15. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Still the best live band I have ever seen. Such a great time. Can't wait to see them at Koko in London.

Turkeylegz and Colby Searcy like this.
  16. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Honestly, I've loved every record, and they sold out the Observatory in Southern California in 2016. These dudes aren't slowing down. Can't wait to hear the new tunes!

Turkeylegz and Colby Searcy like this.