Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years Have Started Working on a New Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

They're all really awesome bands, perhaps they could inspire a diverse range of crowd members to start making pop-punk music?

2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I like my pop punk in all flavors and this is fucking great. Reminds me of No Trigger :(

3. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Trash Boat suck

4. tomtom94

Trusted

SamLevi11 likes this.
  5. Jake W

At least I'm not a shitty pop punk band who's most known song is a bad Knuckle Puck rip off :crylaugh:

6. Jake W

[​IMG]

This is some weird coincidence

SamLevi11 likes this.
  7. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, that's a great comparison. The variety on it is fantastic. From Pangaea being pretty much straight up hardcore, to Tring Quarry which is the poppiest tune on the record, I think it's such a solid and fun record. Great live band too.

Yeah that songs sucks, but have you even heard the album? I hated them before the album, but it's such a huge step up that I think they're fucking great.

Soupy produced the album and is on the first track so this actually isn't surprising.

8. Colby Searcy

Incredibly insightful, thank you.

FTank likes this.
  9. Jake W

It wasn't as bad as their old stuff but I still don't like it. And yeah, them touring together isn't surprising, just thought it was really weird that it got announced right after some of the comments in this thread lol.

10. aniafc

Trusted

NCTH debuted at what? Number 10?

I'm not sure they're ever going to reach higher than that, honestly.

11. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

They put out probably the best pop punk album of the year. Definitely do not suck.

SamLevi11 likes this.
  12. Jake W

Nah

13. Well they definitely won't just sticking with Hopeless and expecting the same thing to turn out different results.

14. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

If they were going to jump ship, they should have done it after TGG. Now they're just a "cash cow" (as much as you can be) in the scene and for the label, and Hopeless was smart to spread the wealth to help curate the smaller bands, as much as I hate to say it. They're in this weird area where they're limited by the label their on, and Hopeless doesn't have a track record or pushing their artists to higher than #5 debuts on the Billboard 100, so they were capped. They should have moved to FBR or another mid-sized label of that stature. TWY also seem like they lost some of their marketability after NCTH, and its probably much tougher to shop around for another label in their current state. I'd be surprised if they land higher than #15 on their next album, unless they come roaring out with an absolutely accessible and stellar single.

I'm really stoked to hear the new album though! I have absolutely no doubt they'll have some fantastic jams. Is it possible that they self-release this one? Might be a smart move if they think they can maintain their sales and have enough saved to do it

aniafc likes this.
  15. TheoW593

Regular

WTF? I thought it was widely accepted No Closer To Heaven was their best album?

16. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

not really, the least from almost everyone i talk to, it's pretty solidly mediocre

17. Jake W

Their fanbase seems pretty divided on what is their best album, but most popular would be out of TGG and Suburbia.

18. Colby Searcy

Get Stoked On It!

Hehe

19. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

It's too inconsistent

20. aniafc

Trusted

We saw what happened with SWS when they left their long time label in Rise to try and get more popular.

Yes, those are two different bands, but both have the motives to get more popular. And it almost never works out.

Someone a few posts above me said it best: they already lost a lot of their momentum. TGG was great, and if they were gonna switch labels, that would have been the best time to do it. Sticking with Hopeless, who knows this band incredibly well, will at least almost solidify them a spot inside the top 20 or so of the 200 charts. Moving to another label who doesn't know what to do with them? I'm not so sure.

21. cwhit

what the band needs to do is diversify and push themselves to play with different bands rather than playing fucking warped tour again and do what they actually want to do, that'll be what pushes them forward. they've hit a ceiling, the kids don't care about their style of pop punk, now it's time to work towards critical appeal

22. aniafc

Trusted

They've been critically successful so far in their career. I have no doubts they can keep that up.

My doubt comes in that I have a hard time seeing this band make a drastic change to their sound and be successful with it. I don't see them ever being some mainstream acclaimed band.

23. cwhit

not really, they are not a band respected by publications other than things like alt press. rolling stone, spin, pitchfork, stereogum, etc etc, do not care. this a band that is stuck in the warped tour scene and i'm not sure that's where they want to be

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  24. TDenverFan

Regular

All Time Low would like to have a word, Future Hearts was #2, and #1 in physical sales.

And it's not like bands from this scene often get higher than #5. I'd be beyond shocked if TWY wind up with a top 5 album, but that'd be huge for them. Even top 10 would be massive.

aniafc and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  25. aniafc

Trusted

Probably not, but do you think that's something they can even get? Aside from RS, those others spend their time on smaller "indie" bands. Stereogum had a piece on the Hotelier (an excellent one), but that band is still far, far away from being as popular as they should be.

Nit really trying to "argue" so I appreciate the civility of this so far. I love this band and these guys, they're all pretty decent dudes. I just don't know how much room they have left to peak.