Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years Announce Fan Club

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Interesting. Might see how it pans out first.

3. BradBradley

Regular

The link pops up a warning that the site is not secure and that someone might be trying to steal my personal and/or financial information. NICE TRY, The Wonder Years.

Larry David and theasteriskera like this.
  4. tobytobes

Regular

Part of me REALLY wants this because I have a lot of their merch, but the other part really hates the "$20 gamble for things I don't know what they could be" part.

Probably going to sign up though, haha.

5. Chuck!

Regular

If they'd at least hint at some of the initial merch offerings, this would probably do better imo

6. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

TWY are my favorite band in this generation and I'd be all into this if it was $10/mo.

$20, man, that's kinda real money. I really like the idea and I completely understand them doing it (stable income!) but I'll need to see how my next few months go.

7. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

This would’ve been really something at their peak popularity.

8. BradBradley

Regular

The... Greatest Generation?

After you follow the link to YouTube, you can still watch the video. However, it says that it is “Unlisted” and you can’t search for it or see it if you go to Loneliest Place on Earth’s channel. That’s odd.

9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

This band was great 5 - 7 years ago. If this offer was available then for $10/mo. I would consider it. I wouldn't pay $20/mo. for my favorite bands.

10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

the pessimist in me really doesn't like the look of these things....and i could definitely be over-analyzing or over-thinking it/being overly-dramatic about it, and I totally get that these guys need to support themselves too but these kinda things just seem like they're taking advantage of fans. paying $20/mo. ($240 annually) for the chance at just some exclusive merch and rare songs/items? maybe some early show entry options? seems crazy to me, and crazy to ask someone to do. if you want to/can afford it by all means i am not passing judgement on you at all, i hope it is not taken that way. i just think of the things i already subscribe to monthly for way less that give me way more than what this would. idk. maybe this is just an old man yelling at clouds kinda thing.

latortuga likes this.
  11. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

My problem with this is that it isn't even a flat $20. It's $20 PLUS shipping. That's a lot of dough. I'm all for things like this – the La Dispute one that they did years ago was cool, even though I didn't subscribe to it – but I really can't justify the price. I'm sure the items will be cool, limited, special, and high quality, and there will be something like limited 7"s or flexis that will be super desirable to die hard fans. Maybe if it was just a 7" club or something I'd be down.

justin. likes this.
  12. zachmacD

Trusted

I could never imagine subscribing to one of these things. I'm 27 so I'm sure I'm not the target demographic, but I don't get the idea of getting a piece of merchandise monthly from the same band even if it's exclusive. Like, ok I have 12 exclusive items from a band most people have never heard of. It just seems like overkill.

It would be one thing if a bunch of bands were a part of the same subscription and you'd get a different item from one of those bands per month. That or you could choose a certain number of bands from the subscriptions roster and only get exclusive merch from those bands if this makes sense.

latortuga likes this.
  13. Chuck!

Regular

The more I think about this, the more I'm confident that this program would be SHREDDED if the band wasn't respected and well-liked

14. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i am also a slightly bitter former(??) member of the gaslight anthem's 45RPM club that never quite took off lol

15. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I think what makes this different from say an extortionate kickstarter or "VIP experience" is that I have no doubt people will actually get items of the relative value they're paying (versus when bands charge hundreds for things with no intrinsic monetary value), although the question people I think have rightfully asked is whether fans should want to commit to that much merch from one band, or that the sales pitch would benefit from more transparency regarding what might be included.

16. Hmm. I'd rather pay money for the experience of meeting a band/person I like than things I haven't seen, don't know I want or what I'd do with, and I know I'll misplace or (more likely) put in a box somewhere.

I'd have to realllllyyyyyyyyyyy like a band to drop $20 a month on something though. I don't think I'd even be willing to do that for JEW.

zachmacD likes this.
  17. BelieF

Regular

Idk if they’re just looking for income or to really connect with fans.

If they want to have some serious subscribers they should’ve revealed the first quarter of items as anyone with real bills have to turn down this service unless they really have the extra income.

Also merch designs from the get stoked on it era have to be laying around. I’m almost certain a good amount of ppl would subscribe for a quarter of the year to get their hands on a design from that era.

And if it’s about money there’s no reason to not exploit that option.

18. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

If this isn't a thing already somewhere, it's a GREAT idea. DM me with your business plan so I can invest.

zachmacD likes this.
  19. zachmacD

Trusted

Haha thanks man! I might just take you up on that