Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Women, People of Color, and LGBTQ Candidates Who Made History in the 2017 Election

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ella Nilsen, writing for Vox:

Barrier-breaking candidates won races across the country on Election Day this year. The results were a parade of “firsts” from New Hampshire to North Carolina to Montana as women, people of color, and LGBTQ candidates became the first to win elections in their respective contests.

Cities in Minnesota and Montana elected their first black mayors, and Charlotte, North Carolina, elected a black woman as mayor for the first time. Virginia elected its first Latina and Asian-American delegates. Transgender candidates won races in Virginia, Minnesota, California, and Pennsylvania.

Tuesday was a big night for Democrats — and these historic “firsts” show that the party can run a diverse slate of candidates and win.

Last night was a good start and a good reminder that when young people vote, they can decide elections.1 In the lead-up to 2018’s mid-terms I’d encourage everyone to hold your representatives accountable to the progressive policies they campaigned on and check out Swingleft, Flippable, Indivisible, Run for Something, Let America Vote, or any number of local organizations to get involved.

It was nice to feel a little hope after an election for once. Now it’s time to prepare for the next fight.

1. I get to pretend to be young for one more year.

2. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Considering a year ago today was the most horrendous election, this makes me much happier today.

summertimejesus and SlappinCups like this.
  3. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

It's encouraging for sure .

4. Raditz

SSJ

This is amazing. Next perhaps a Saiyan senator.

5. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Melvin Carter babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Loved voting for him with my first mayoral vote ever

6. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

There were many Saiyan senators.... on Planet Vegeta... too bad it no longer exists! HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!

7. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Meanwhile, the mayor of my city continues to be federally indicted...haha

8. theredline

Trusted Supporter

He was my choice too!

Aregala likes this.
  9. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Glad to see America pushing back against the right wing filth!

Now Australia needs to do the same.