Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Witcher (Netflix) TV Show • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Whalejaw, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Probably my favorite episode. Totally disagreeing with the critics on this

Cameron likes this.
  2. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Witcher fans seem to love it, others not so much

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Show is great. Takes a couple episodes to REALLY get going

4. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Never played the games or read the books. Loved the show.

It was kind of refreshing in tone as it wasn’t overly serious all the time for a mid-evil show.

Honestly the best comparison I had for it at times was Galavant and that is 1000% a plus.

BTDandFeelingThis and Jake W like this.
  5. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

I think aside from a few really bad dialogue lines and a struggle to get the tone right in the first couple of episodes, this was dynamite. A few cheesy moments in episode 6, and Cavill flies off the handle in a way Geralt doesn’t/can’t a few times, but that’s nit picky. I particularly like Yen’s arc, and how nailed on her character is towards the end of things. It really shows in the dynamic between her and Geralt.

6. drewinseries

Drew

I can't believe people gave this an F while admitting to not watching the entire show.

7. BTDandFeelingThis

That’s how people work these days. Judge the whole season off the very first episode

8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

tbf “people” here is really “publications”

9. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Genuinely wondering, does publishing a negative review get more clicks usually than a positive one?

10. atlas

Trusted

finally watched the first two episodes

They really needed to just come out and explain that Yen/Geralt/Ciri are on different timelines, I understand what people mean that it would be confusing as hell for people not familiar with the books/games. but anyways I'm having a total blast with this so far. Some clunky lines and sus CGI but Cavill is killlllling it. Dandelion is fucking hilarious. Toss A Coin To Your Witcher is a total banger

11. tvck

Trusted

Took a little to realize they were on different timelines, especially with Yen saying numerous times about decades of time passing as a mage. But I really enjoyed this and can't wait for more. Makes me want to pick up the books and finally play through 3.

BTDandFeelingThis and Wharf Rat like this.
  12. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

this kicked ass even if it wasn't like, top tier TV level. Cavill is one of the best castings for anything I've ever seen

Cameron, RobbieBerns, atlas and 2 others like this.
  13. atlas

Trusted

episode 3 jeeeeesus

Yen's "surgery" scene was way more fucking brutal than I thought it would be

14. clucky

Trusted Supporter

overall enjoyed this but the timeline stuff was still super confusing. was never clear how far forward they were jumping in time. Feel like flashing some dates on the screen could've gone a lot way in clearing up confusion.

I'm also somewhat confused how this all ties into the timeline of the games

Is it a completely different timeline? Or does Nilfgard just chill in the south a while because Yen drove them back allowing for Ciri to get trained / grow up / all the other adventures to happen? Its been a while since I've played Assassin of Kings or Wild Hunt, but if my memory serves me right Nilfgard wasn't really an issue during AoK and had just started their invasion of Temaria for TWH. So that would leave at least ten years of them just consolidating power in the south which I guess works? Or do the games tell a completely different story than the books?

15. BTDandFeelingThis

ciri is future, geralt is present, yennefer is the past. It only converges into all being caught up in the final episode.
    Also this is based on the books as of right now, the games take place after the books

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

clucky and tvck like this.
  17. Driving2theBusStation Dec 28, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 28, 2019)
    Driving2theBusStation

Regular

Two episodes in. It has it's moments so far but everyone saying don't go in expecting game of thrones was on point, though this modernized Kevin Sorbo's Hercules of medieval fantasy stories can still be enjoyable sometimes for what it is. The casting is good, especially Cavill as Geralt and the emotive performance from the actress playing Yennifer. Season one being cobbled together from short stories is maybe why the pacing feels weird and its getting mixed reviews. Gonna stick with it until the end of season 2 at least, to see how it tackles the novels.

18. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

RyanPm40 likes this.
  19. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

CarpetElf and David87 like this.
  20. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

i can't stop listening to this damn song

season really ended up quite good, but i'm baffled by the creative choices made in setting up the timelines. i spent like fifteen minutes figuring how i would've ordered it and it helped me understand it so much more.

21. drewinseries

Drew

I just want to say that I was certainly one of the people whose first reaction to the Yen casting was disappointment, purely based on the fact that Anya Chalotra didn't seem to have the looks I believe Yen had.

I am so glad I was wrong. Her performance as Yennifer is so great and I can't wait to see more of her.

tvck likes this.
  22. tvck

Trusted

I kind of liked that they didn't treat the viewer like an idiot and lay out plainly the timeline. Appreciate how it all converged into the same timeline by the end.

23. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

This first episode is painfully boring

24. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Never read the books or played the games. Binged it because my fiancé wanted to.

Perhaps it was low expectations (see the 53 on Metacritic), but I found this to be pretty solid mindless entertainment. The flaws are definitely glaring: some cringe-worthy dialogue, some really rough CGI (that dragon!), and most importantly, how the narrative structure takes the steam out of the show when it needs steam the most—the first few episodes.

I appreciate them not holding the audience's hand, and the eventual satisfaction that comes when the pieces start to assemble, but this was legitimately difficult to follow at first. Not sure what the fix might be on that but the point still stands.

Outside of these legitimate and glaring criticisms, one of the best things you can say about a show is that it gets better every episode, and I think that's the case here. As some have pointed out, that stride happens around episode three when things start to gel. The action setpieces are really fun, the gore is great, and the production value is really quite stellar.

Again, I don't think this is some modern classic. I also don't think it's a 53 on Metacritic level bad. I'll watch season 2 for sure.

RyanPm40 and Wharf Rat like this.
  25. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Three in and it's getting better, but I have to say, Geralt's scenes do nothing for me. Ciri and Yennefer have far more interesting backstories so far. Geralt sounds like a video game character the way he talks, idk