Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wire (HBO) TV Show • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. OotyPa

fall away

I actually think the first episode is a terrible representation of the show. It gets better and better with each episode, reaching its stride in season 2 imo.

Thus far i really love this show. Its very heavy without being in-your-face or sensationalizing anything. Just kinda puts it out there. I will say i love that about it. Sometimes too much attention on emotional plot points cheapens the delivery

Davjs likes this.
  2. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I’d say it’s one of the best first episodes of all time. Compared with other shows that take a little while to find their footing, it arrives practically fully-formed and absolutely confident in its theme and tone.

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I’m rewatching with my wife and honestly S3 loses steam more than S2

Signifire and OotyPa like this.
  4. Pseudo!

Regular

Season 2 is my favorite

5. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

S3 is fantastic c’mon star

6. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Cuddy’s whole arc in 3 alone

Ken, OotyPa and mad like this.
  7. OotyPa

fall away

You guys weren’t kidding that S4 is sad. But probably my favorite of all them. Onto 5!

PandaBear! and kupe like this.
  8. OotyPa

fall away

I have one episode left. This show has been so good to me. Its taught me some really important things while challenging me at times, forever keeping me invested in the truths and stories of these wonderfully-sculpted characters. The storyteling here, moreso than most other shows, is careful and deliberate but never fails to deliver. In happy to say its joined the list of my all-time favorite shows. Okay, finale time... here we goooo!!!

9. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

My roommate is finishing his first watch of the series and man, seeing again how the kids turn out absolutely devastates me.

OotyPa likes this.
  10. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

This is the best show of all time. Just a friendly reminder.

11. kupe

Regular

Rewatching this for the first time, and the first few episodes are so much better when you're not trying to figure out who is who. The only out of character thing I noticed in the pilot is when they flashback to the trial to let you know that the man who was murdered was William Gant, but honestly that really helped me on my first viewing.

This is the best show

12. I’m due for another rewatch.

13. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i'm so due

14. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

For Christmas, my wife bought me the entire series of David Simon's first show, Homicide: Life on the Street. I hadn't watched it since it originally aired back in the 90s, but it's been great jumping back into it. For anyone that hasn't seen it, it shares a lot of thematic similarities with The Wire and kind of changed the game in terms of what a network TV drama could look like at the time. The Wire will always be my favorite, but it's cool seeing how Homicide set the table for it in a lot of ways.

Petit nain des Îles and Ken like this.
  15. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Ken likes this.
  16. Yes, All the Pieces Matter was fantastic

17. Davjs

Trusted

Started this for the first time. The Shield is my favorite show and I always heard this influenced it and may be better.

Finished season 1 and this shit is good. I love how it fleshed out characters on every end, you end up feeling for everyone. It's weird to see a baby Micheal B Jordan and Bob from The Walking Dead. Glad to read in here that season 2 gets even better.

Steve_JustAGuy and OotyPa like this.
  18. Davjs

Trusted

I'm watching on demand and it has both standard and the HD versions. I've been watching the HD, should I not be? What's the story on it?

19. OotyPa

fall away

Season 2 takes an odd turn at first but it’s by no means bad. Its just as good in fact, just a little jarring.

20. Morrissey

Trusted

The show was originally shot in 4:3, which was the aspect ratio for old televisions, but for the HD re-release they turned it into a modern 16:9 aspect ratio. They did consult with Simon, but ultimately he felt that a lot of it detracted from the original scene composition of the show. I haven't watched the new version, but aspect ratio conversion used to be hugely controversial back when they would turn widescreen movies into "full screen" television versions. Widescreen televisions mostly did away with that, but there is this new pressure to stretch old television shows to match.

I am sure it is still a great show, but the 4:3 version is the true version.

Davjs likes this.
  21. Davjs

Trusted

Yeah I remember reading a really cool article forever ago about how when they shot it, they knew it's be presented 4:3 so they left extras, boom mics, ect in the shots knowing that it'd be cut out. When they re did it in 16:9, a lot of digital work had to be done to remove everything or cover it up. I haven't noticed anything that stands out yet.

22. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

I’ve watched both ratios numerous times as I own the original dvd set with the 4:3 and HBO Now only has the 16:9. I think the new revision was done with a lot of proper care and the final product is pretty top notch...but come on, it’s The Wire. It’s based on my hometown, this show was meant to be watched in its original 4:3 aspect ratio. It’s Baltimore, I love this city but it’s a very gritty place and I’ve always preferred the original to the HD.

Also, season two is the best season. Real talk.

Davjs and imthesheriff like this.
  23. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I haven't watched this is forever but I remember season 2 probably being my favorite as well.

Full Effect Ed likes this.
  24. OotyPa

fall away

4 was my favorite. Following the kids' stories was the show's poetic peak.

mad, stayillogical and Steve_JustAGuy like this.
  25. kupe

Regular

Season 4 might be my favorite season of anything ever. I also loved season 2 and season 5. This show is just the GOAT

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.